Funny Thing About the Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Funny Thing About the Rankings
imanidiot777
3/4/08 9:08:05PM
I love how in the best pound-for-pound fighters list Mauricio Rua is on there and Forrest Griffin is not, when in the LHW rankings Griffin is ahead of Rua. Anyone care to go make sure you aren't one of these people?

And this also happens with Big Nog and Fedor in the p4p and HW.

PS: I'm not saying who should be where so don't start arguing over who's better.
Pookie
3/4/08 9:16:58PM
Shogun has earned his spot, Forrest has not. Beating a fighter in the top ten should not get you in the p4p list alone. Just as losing to a non-top p4p fighter should get you dropped off of it.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/4/08 9:19:50PM
who the hell has fedor fought compared to nog's competition?
imanidiot777
3/4/08 9:20:46PM
My whole point is not comparing who should be on what, it's that people have one guy higher on the p4p list and a different guy higher on the weight class list, how can you be better in your weight and not better overall?
Pookie
3/4/08 9:27:25PM

Posted by imanidiot777

My whole point is not comparing who should be on what, it's that people have one guy higher on the p4p list and a different guy higher on the weight class list, how can you be better in your weight and not better overall?

ooo ok.

If i think a fighter would do better at a different weight class than their own and be the right size for it i could see someone doing that.

I dont personally have that situation though ...
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/4/08 9:34:33PM
me neither
i even have Nog over Fedor in both HW & p4p, ONLY bc Fedor wont show me he can still handle top 10 talent. i believe he can, but if he doesnt show me soon & keeps fightin dumb asses im gonna quit believing
Kracker_Jap
3/4/08 9:57:52PM
MMa Playground has the only ranking system that makes sence

what is your point TS
juanez13
3/4/08 10:19:44PM
looks at this way, the normal ranking (LHW, HW, etc..) are more short term rankings, where its kind of like what have you done for me lately, so its more in their current status in their division, if the are a contender and what not, and the P4P are more on the larger scale, like what their accomplishments, who have they beat, etc.............so i the LHW ranking forrest, by beating shogun, puts himself as a top contender, which makes him one of the top guys in the division, but on the larger scale Shogun has done wayyy more that forrest, winning the 2005 GP, beating guys like arona, Lil Nog, Overeem, randleman, rampage, nakamura, many of which are considered to be some of the best in the world, and on the other hand forrest on the large scale hasnt done alot, beating mostly lower level guys, and his most notable win coming off of rua..................so on the small scale as of late griffin is ahead, but on the large scale there is no doubt rua should be ahead of griffin.
seanfu
3/4/08 10:32:57PM
So what you are saying is that Serra should be ahead of GSP on the p4p?
imanidiot777
3/4/08 10:55:51PM

Posted by juanez13

looks at this way, the normal ranking (LHW, HW, etc..) are more short term rankings, where its kind of like what have you done for me lately, so its more in their current status in their division, if the are a contender and what not, and the P4P are more on the larger scale, like what their accomplishments, who have they beat, etc.............so i the LHW ranking forrest, by beating shogun, puts himself as a top contender, which makes him one of the top guys in the division, but on the larger scale Shogun has done wayyy more that forrest, winning the 2005 GP, beating guys like arona, Lil Nog, Overeem, randleman, rampage, nakamura, many of which are considered to be some of the best in the world, and on the other hand forrest on the large scale hasnt done alot, beating mostly lower level guys, and his most notable win coming off of rua..................so on the small scale as of late griffin is ahead, but on the large scale there is no doubt rua should be ahead of griffin.

I like that explanation that satisfies my question.

Posted by seanfu

So what you are saying is that Serra should be ahead of GSP on the p4p?

ummmm no? Serra is behind St. Pierre in the Welterweights as well so maybe you want to go read the post again instead of trying to make me look dumb.

Schizoidman
3/4/08 11:35:52PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Fedor has fought Nog...and won.
telnights
3/5/08 2:24:12AM
I love the rankings here because everyone truly has a say. You will have some that play favorites and some that just don't like a fighter but in the end it still works out.
Daddyprimetime
3/5/08 3:39:37AM

Posted by imanidiot777

I love how in the best pound-for-pound fighters list Mauricio Rua is on there and Forrest Griffin is not, when in the LHW rankings Griffin is ahead of Rua. Anyone care to go make sure you aren't one of these people?

And this also happens with Big Nog and Fedor in the p4p and HW.

PS: I'm not saying who should be where so don't start arguing over who's better.

I don't have time to run through all the comments on this topic, but when it comes to P4P, it's who you have beat over all not just a couple of top fighters.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/5/08 1:47:48PM

Posted by Schizoidman

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Fedor has fought Nog...and won.

oh im sorry, i meant in the last 3 years....my bad