Funny post fight interview with Sylvia and Brock

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Funny post fight interview with Sylvia and Brock
Bemin
2/3/08 4:21:20PM
Very funny stuff at the end, when both Tim and Brock are joking about getting submited by Mir.

Link
Djbb
2/3/08 4:27:06PM
Good to see them joking around like that after Brock was calling Sylvia a web-footed punk just a month or 2 ago, lol
jiujitsufreak74
2/3/08 4:28:11PM
its good to see sylvia respecting JJ
wolfman
2/3/08 4:30:15PM
That was good stuff

It was also funny hearing Mir joke about finding out how large Lesnar's hands were.
Jackelope
2/3/08 4:36:23PM
Haha I came here to make this post but you beat me to it. I thought that was pretty funny, too.

Tim Sylvia "I hate jiu jitsu... my 3 losses are all jiu jitsu...no doubt in my mind that Nogueira is the best Jiu Jitsu heavyweight in the world, and I'm probably pretty safe to say that Frank Mir is the second. They both got me and you all know what Frank did to me"

Brock Lesnar- "Who cares"

Tim Sylvia- "Yeah, who cares he broke Tim Sylvia's arm, he almost broke your leg!!"
jomatty
2/3/08 7:03:58PM
that is as likeable as ive ever seen tim sylvia....i may become a fan just because everyone hates him so much and i dont think he deserves it, too bad i have such a natural dislike for the guy....oh well no reason to let that stand in the way of me being his fan.
Blizzard
2/3/08 8:18:29PM
Lets see Big Nog vs Mir, and Sylvia vs. Lesner now.
KeNn
2/3/08 11:05:29PM
My opinion on lesnar has changed since that, i actually gained respect for him.

I didn't think the dude could laugh, he's still really cocky
wolfman
2/3/08 11:31:14PM

Posted by KeNn

Huh, you just contradicted yourself. I thought your opinion changed, yet you still find him really cocky?? So, he's not REALLY really cocky anymore,...he is just really cocky now? j/k
SmileR
2/3/08 11:34:59PM

Posted by Jackelope

Tim Sylvia "I hate jiu jitsu... my 3 losses are all jiu jitsu...no doubt in my mind that Nogueira is the best Jiu Jitsu heavyweight in the world, and I'm probably pretty safe to say that Frank Mir is the second. They both got me and you all know what Frank did to me"

Brock Lesnar- "Who cares"

Tim Sylvia- "Yeah, who cares he broke Tim Sylvia's arm, he almost broke your leg!!"

Haha I never knew Tim had a sense of humor! I don't know what shocked me more Brocks attitude or Tim's jokes!
I like both fighters a lot more after this interview.
Lord_Lenny
2/4/08 12:09:13AM

Posted by KeNn

a lot of it is the character he uses for himself to hype up fights. in all official interviews before and after this fight he actually seems like a very decent guy and a whole lot more down to earth than his persona
jomatty
2/4/08 8:33:10AM
how tim sylvia ranks frank mir's bjj above werdums is beyond me though, and pe de panos is better than mirs too. actually both of those guys bjj in a bjj context is better than nogs but nobody utilyzes bjj in mma like big nog.
mrliquid
2/4/08 9:46:50AM
I think they were both great fights mir showed that he did what he said he was going to do and that was catch lesnar if he slipped up and lesnar showed he was no joke at heavyweight it didnt even get past the first round and frank's face was bruised and cut up, lesnar is dangerous against another heavyweight who likes to throw. I enjoyed the sylvia fight aswell I always thought tim got a bad rep from the ufc fans but they werent boing him to much at the ppv heard alot of cheers when he came out even at the weigh ins.
Bonus-Jonas
2/5/08 1:41:36PM
I've had a hard time liking Tim, but I agree, I can respect him a lot more after watching his post-fight interview. He didn't have any excuses, he was humble, and he was funny. I give Tim props for his response to his loss
jiujitsufreak74
2/5/08 2:36:22PM

Posted by jomatty

how tim sylvia ranks frank mir's bjj above werdums is beyond me though, and pe de panos is better than mirs too. actually both of those guys bjj in a bjj context is better than nogs but nobody utilyzes bjj in mma like big nog.

i responded in the HW JJ thread but here is what i believe with werdum and mir in terms of MMA usage in MMA. sylvia was referring to their JJ utilization in MMA not in general. well here are some points that apply for your response:

while the answer to the question is obviously nog, it is the number two spot where i hit a rough patch. i would have to say it is a tie between mir and werdum. now the reason i have to go with mir here is because i am assuming he is back to the shape he was in before the accident where he was just schooling the UFC HWs on the lessons of JJ. he was constantly moving and was very mythotical in his guard throwing up submissions that caught his opponents off-guard (pun intended btw ). in his fight with lesnar i saw signs of his old self. he was keeping an active guard against a wrecking machine in lesnar and threw up two solid armbar attempts and eventually clinched the kneebar to win it. if he is back to his old self he is a fighter to look out for. werdum has always been a great JJ fighter in MMA who utilizes the triangle very well. he was able to choke out aleks which speaks to his skill and made GG scared of his guard. the fight against RZ where he got an armbar and a triangle at the same time was beautiful and werdum has shown such beauy in most of his fights. unfortunately he has not been able to grace the UFC with his submissions skills but the HWs should be wary of his JJ.

3) Werdum is by far the most accomplished HW in terms of JJ outside of MMA. he holds such titles as the blue belt division Jiu Jitsu World Championship , Jiu Jitsu European Championship, Jiu Jitsu Pan-American Championship x3, black belt division Jiu Jitsu World Championship x 2 , and the 2007 ADCC World Championship which speaks to his current dominance in the art.

5) Pe de Pano should not even be in this discussion in terms of MMA utilization because he only has one victory due to submission. his credentials outside are very impressive although his acclaimed tournament wins are very debatable outside of his Abu Dhabi 2000 win because i don't remember him winning what he vaguely described as "world champion of Jiu-Jitsu" 6 times.

my JJ in MMA rankings:

1) Nogueira

2) Werdum

2) Mir (mir and werdum are tied imo but i would give the slightest edge to werdum)

Jackelope
2/5/08 3:04:20PM
I've always liked Tim and respected him as a fighter. There's been a lot of times in the past where I've taken flak for that, but I hope he continues to earn the fan's support in the coming months/years. The thing is he just looks goofy, and many of his greatest fights were before the sport ever became popular. People didn't see the wrecking ball that he was before TUF was around, so he's gotten a bad rap.