UFC on FX and Fuel non-title main events will only be three rounds in 2012

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on FX and Fuel non-title main events will only be three rounds in 2012
Budgellism
1/12/12 10:01:05PM
Hold your horses.

Remember when every UFC show moving forward was supposed to feature a five round main event? That no longer appears to be the case.

According to Matt Bishop of the Detroit News, unless a title is on the line, all UFC on FX and UFC on Fuel shows will feature three round main events. The five round non-title bouts will be reserved for pay-per-views and for the big network UFC on FOX shows.

Fuel TV is planning six events in 2012 and considering that two UFC events are already scheduled for FX by March 3, it appears FX could be landing a similar amount of shows this year.

Main Event fights affected so far:

UFC on FX 1: Melvin Guillard vs. Jim Miller

UFC on Fuel 1: Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez

UFC on FX 2: Martin Kampmann vs. Thiago Alves

UFC on Fuel 2: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
1/12/12 10:12:23PM
Lame.

They need to be 5 rounds and most of those have the potential to be finished.
Lesnar1
1/12/12 10:19:19PM
Damn!! that sucks, already will potentially miss another 2 rounds of Guillard/Miller, Ellenberger/Sanchez, Kampmann/Alves & Nogueira/Gustafsson, they should just have 5 rounds for every main event.
Twenty20Dollars
1/13/12 1:27:29AM
this should be on the mma c'mon man
pmoney
1/13/12 7:02:27AM
I am pissed. Not because of the fights in question being affected, but because of the poor execution of a haphazardly thrown together business initiative.

How long ago did we hear, "All non-title main events will be five rounds?" How many main events have been explained away for being only three rounds? Now we get a years worth of BS? I am sick of it.

Make non-title fights five rounds, and championship fights seven rounds, or just knock it the fuck off and go back to five rounds solely for title fights, without exception.
shaneTpain
1/13/12 9:10:21AM

Posted by pmoney

I am pissed. Not because of the fights in question being affected, but because of the poor execution of a haphazardly thrown together business initiative.

How long ago did we hear, "All non-title main events will be five rounds?" How many main events have been explained away for being only three rounds? Now we get a years worth of BS? I am sick of it.

Make non-title fights five rounds, and championship fights seven rounds, or just knock it the fuck off and go back to five rounds solely for title fights, without exception.

Twenty20Dollars
1/13/12 11:18:28AM

Posted by pmoney

Just more proof that Dana flip flops more than a fish out of water.

I mean we could have had two more rounds of Sanchez/Kampmann and now we could have two more rounds of Alves/Kampmann, but noooo
BuffaloDave
1/13/12 11:51:37AM
This seems like it could just be a ploy to get the main events on Fuel and FX to be fast paced.

What's next, some fights will be under Pride rules?
Kpro
1/13/12 12:10:24PM
I would've preferred an announcement that only non-HW bouts will be 5 rounds, when main-eventing, in 2012.
emfleek
1/13/12 12:18:37PM
Fewer rounds = more commercials
BigBadAl
1/13/12 12:23:00PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

This seems like it could just be a ploy to get the main events on Fuel and FX to be fast paced.

What's next, some fights will be under Pride rules?

Possibly. Or each fighter has to wear one boxing glove.
kingsmasher
1/13/12 12:40:32PM

Posted by emfleek

LOL EXACTLY GOOD POINT...BUT WOW HOW CAN THEY CHANGE THAT...WHAT IF THE HENDO RUA WAS ONLY 3 ROUNDS...WOULDNT BE THAT GREAT A FIGHT...DANA SHOULD LOOK AT THAT FIGHT AS TO WHY WE NEED 5 ROUND FIGHTS..
gartface
1/13/12 12:43:14PM

Posted by emfleek

Didn't think about this, but it seems like the reason once I think about it.

Pay per-view makes money from viewers, and the networks make their money from companies. Gotta get paid. It's the nature of the beast.

So I'm assuming it'd either be less fights on the card and five round titles, or more fights and a three round title fight.
Kpro
1/13/12 12:45:57PM

Posted by kingsmasher

LOL EXACTLY GOOD POINT...BUT WOW HOW CAN THEY CHANGE THAT...WHAT IF THE HENDO RUA WAS ONLY 3 ROUNDS...

Caps lock aside, yeah, that would've been an awesome fight, but a 30-27 Hendo UD, not an epic even fight. Shogun really benefited from the extra rounds, which was the opposite of what I expected from the championship rounds.
Kpro
1/13/12 12:50:51PM
Remember in boxing when they'd announce the scores every 3 rounds so the boxers and cornermen knew where they were at in 10-12 rounders. That'd be badass if they did that after round 3 in 5-rounders. It'd give you an idea how bad the judging is, but at least it'd let the guy know getting shafted what he needs to do.
Twenty20Dollars
1/13/12 1:12:51PM
Or maybe it has something to do with time restrictions as all of them are on regular tv.

Still bullcrap.

With those fights are the main event and being 5 rounds, I would be okay with taking a fight off from the main card to see potentiall another two rounds from those main events.
Aether
1/13/12 1:27:55PM

Posted by Kpro

Remember in boxing when they'd announce the scores every 3 rounds so the boxers and cornermen knew where they were at in 10-12 rounders. That'd be badass if they did that after round 3 in 5-rounders. It'd give you an idea how bad the judging is, but at least it'd let the guy know getting shafted what he needs to do.

guys would be getting knocked out while they tried to figure out how the judges could possibly have come up with the scores they did.
kingsmasher
1/13/12 2:27:20PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by kingsmasher

LOL EXACTLY GOOD POINT...BUT WOW HOW CAN THEY CHANGE THAT...WHAT IF THE HENDO RUA WAS ONLY 3 ROUNDS...

Caps lock aside, yeah, that would've been an awesome fight, but a 30-27 Hendo UD, not an epic even fight. Shogun really benefited from the extra rounds, which was the opposite of what I expected from the championship rounds.

sry bout caps was rendering a project at work and atoo lazy to hold down shift
Kpro
1/13/12 3:56:36PM

Posted by kingsmasher

sry bout caps was rendering a project at work and atoo lazy to hold down shift

No worries, I just always picture someone yelling when I see all caps.

It's always yelling in GSP's voice too for some reason.
prozacnation1978
1/13/12 11:05:37PM
Dana white lied to the fans again
What else is new
RearNakedJoke
1/14/12 2:26:46AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by kingsmasher

As a fight a it would have been more exciting if it had only been 3 rounds. it was cool to see hendo gas worse than shogun already was and Rua make a come back but round 5 was horrible and at no point did i think Hendo was ever in danger of being stopped. if anything that fight makes a case for 3 round main events both those guys were gassed by the end of round 3.
Bubbles
1/14/12 4:27:18PM
great so we now will have more fights with the potential to end like Machida/Rampage where there is no clear cut winner and everyone is divided on the outcome and is pissed that there arent 2 more rounds to decide a true winner.

this is utter horsecrap