UFC on FUEL TV 5's Kruth retires, Maldonado gets Diabate at UFC 154

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on FUEL TV 5's Kruth retires, Maldonado gets Diabate at UFC 154
DrivenDavies15
9/7/12 7:23:47PM
Fabio Maldonado (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) can cancel his ticket to England. Instead, it's off to Canada.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that after his UFC on FX 5 opponent Jorgen Kruth (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) abruptly retired, Maldonado has instead been called on to fight Cyrille Diabate (18-8-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at UFC 154, which.

Verbal agreements are in place for the new matchup, but bout agreements have yet to be distributed. UFC officials have yet to make an announcement regarding the switch or Kruth's retirement.

LINK
Budgellism
9/7/12 7:25:00PM
wtf? That's pretty damn disappointing.
DrivenDavies15
9/7/12 7:35:21PM
Agreed, weird to see him retire about 3 weeks away from his UFC debut. Would have been a sick fight as well. But if his body can't handle it and he simply doesn't have the passion anymore than retiring may have been the right thing to do.

Also really like Maldonado/Diabate match up
Gogoplatapus
9/7/12 8:06:32PM
85 kickboxing bouts. Can't blame the guy.
FastKnockout
9/7/12 9:07:28PM
Never heard of someone retiring in the middle of a training camp. Must've been rough.
infestructure
9/7/12 11:04:34PM

“I have been thinking for a long time. However I feel it’s time now,” Kruth told Expressen. “I neither have the motivation or focus and my body doesn’t respond anymore. I’m not getting the results that I want. I’m not in the top level to compete anymore and feel it doesn’t work anymore. If I don’t reach my best then I don’t want to compete anymore, I will retire now while I’m up there.”

Smart guy. While it really sucks we don't get to see a fight, I'm glad he realises he is not up to scratch any more.

Maldonaldo's vicious body punching would have destroyed him
prozacnation1978
9/7/12 11:13:35PM
Another good fx prelim. Should be a strike fest
Budgellism
9/7/12 11:55:56PM

Posted by infestructure

“I have been thinking for a long time. However I feel it’s time now,” Kruth told Expressen. “I neither have the motivation or focus and my body doesn’t respond anymore. I’m not getting the results that I want. I’m not in the top level to compete anymore and feel it doesn’t work anymore. If I don’t reach my best then I don’t want to compete anymore, I will retire now while I’m up there.”

Smart guy. While it really sucks we don't get to see a fight, I'm glad he realises he is not up to scratch any more.

I agree. I'm more bummed that he chose to do it so close to fight time. I was hyping him up in my head as well. Oh well, he entered the mma game too late unfortunately for us.
infestructure
9/8/12 12:28:26AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by infestructure

I agree. I'm more bummed that he chose to do it so close to fight time. I was hyping him up in my head as well. Oh well, he entered the mma game too late unfortunately for us.

Agree, damn 85 Kickboxing victories too. No wonder his body gave out. The kickboxing guys do better than most diciplines when it comes to MMA
aussiemma
9/8/12 3:33:50AM
i think maldonado is probably one of the toughest guys in the lhw division and can take a punch with the best of them. He has good pressure on the feet and is always busy. Very unlucky to lose to igor imo.

tough one for the snake me thinks.
Franklinfan47
9/8/12 2:13:26PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

85 kickboxing bouts. Can't blame the guy.

Ya, but its just weird that he signed a contract then retired before his ufc debut. Why bother.
shaneTpain
9/8/12 5:03:19PM
This reminds me of a dude I went to high school with. He was incredible at hockey & he got signed to an NHL feeder league right out of high school. He excelled & eventually got signed to the Nashville Predators but half way through training camp he quit & came back home. When asked why he simply said he just wasn't feeling it any more & he had stopped having fun........................
infestructure
9/8/12 6:22:33PM
I read this as "Maldonaldo get Diabetes at UFC 154"
aussiemma
9/9/12 5:46:53AM

Posted by infestructure

I read this as "Maldonaldo get Diabetes at UFC 154"

maldonado does have diabetes.
Goatenstein
9/9/12 11:59:41AM
Kruth will fight again.