hathcock32
4/12/07 3:14:38PM
Frye does this for every fight.
methodman_90
4/12/07 4:46:53PM
What was this fight like anyway? never got to see it but I heard it was sloppy
redmist
4/12/07 4:59:31PM
Cro-cop/Silva was an intense staredown, Frye/Thompson made me laugh. It was a bit ridiculous
AchillesHeel
4/12/07 5:01:54PM

Posted by hathcock32

I think my favorite Don Frye staredown was against Ken Shamrock. Must have been a few years ago now, but it was epic. Too bad the fight wasn't quite so entertaining, but oh well...
Mastodon2
4/12/07 7:01:01PM
The best Ive seen was Thompson vs Aleksander Emelianenko,

Thompson was shaking like a madman, Bas started laughing at him, Aleks didnt even look bothered. Aleks knocked him out big style in 14 seconds!
johny_rotten
4/12/07 9:16:36PM
Did you notice Frye had a little cut after the stare down? You have to respect Don for his chin, and willingness to entertain. That being said I can't stand him. He brings an WWE element to the sport, with his endless trash talking. The only thing I hope to see Pride change is less side show fights, and more emphasis on the true athletes that have evolved with the sport.
hippysmacker
4/12/07 9:28:24PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by hathcock32

I think my favorite Don Frye staredown was against Ken Shamrock. Must have been a few years ago now, but it was epic. Too bad the fight wasn't quite so entertaining, but oh well...

Dude are you serious?Goota disagree with you on that one. Great fight, the double leglock where Frye refused to tap was epic!
D-Boy
4/12/07 9:34:06PM
Fight of the night IMO Thompson deserved to win after Frye got in his face like that. It proves also that JT can kill a man with his stare alone, if it went on a couple more seconds that cut on Fryes head would have been fatal.
richieb19
4/12/07 10:22:27PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by hathcock32

How could you not think Shamrock / Frye was entertaining??? It was proclaimed Pride's fight of the year!
warglory
4/12/07 10:44:17PM
Why is everybody blaming Frye? Yeah he got in close in appeared, but Thompson initiated contact.
JBatch
4/13/07 1:54:57AM
The staredown was one fo the most intense things I have ever seen. But as for the fight I don't know what the ref was doing but Frye has taken a lot fo abuse over the years and does not need a guy like JT unloading shots on him like that for that long. That was one of the first times I actually was praying for the ref to step in.
ManBeast
4/13/07 3:44:02AM

Posted by warglory

Why is everybody blaming Frye? Yeah he got in close in appeared, but Thompson initiated contact.

uh, I don't think anyone is blaming Frye for anything except that he is a true american badass

I loved how the japanese crowd was going "WHOOOOO!!!" when the fighters went into their corners before the bell.
Mastodon2
4/13/07 6:23:32AM
Frye is a Legend, I loved his "Terrorists suck" T shirt that he wore at Pride: Beasts from the East, which was 13 days after 9/11.

Continuing the theme, Bas Rutten unveiled a large poster of himself at Pride Final Conflict 2003, of him sitting there with the UFC HW Belt, giving the finger, and at the bottom in big letters "F*CK TERRORISTS"

Classy stuff
pv3Hpv3p
4/13/07 9:38:47AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Did you notice Frye had a little cut after the stare down? You have to respect Don for his chin, and willingness to entertain. That being said I can't stand him. He brings an WWE element to the sport, with his endless trash talking. The only thing I hope to see Pride change is less side show fights, and more emphasis on the true athletes that have evolved with the sport.

Don Frye, a freakshow fight? You've got to be kidding me... Frye is a journyman to the sport... He was one of the first people to integrate multiple styles and one of the leading forces in changing "No Holds Barred" to "Mixed Martial Arts"... He's a collegiate wrestler (coached by Dan Severn at Arizona State), a 2nd degree Judo Balck belt, and has a proffesional boxing record. Give the man some credit
Svartorm
4/13/07 10:50:56PM
That staredown ruled because both men actually like each other, so it was just a matter of getting themselves ready to fight and entertaining as well. Don Frye is one of my favorite fighters of all-time, and it was great to see him dump JT in one punch at the begining there. Hes got a ridiculous chin too. He should probably hang it up, or maybe fight a few dudes on IFL supercards. Him vs. Mo Smith would be a great fight I bet.