Frye's ref should be fired...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frye's ref should be fired...
warglory
4/8/07 12:19:19PM
I still can't believe he let that fight go on as long as he did. Frye was in ******* la la land while Thompson was having his way with him for a good few minutes. Usually PRIDE is good with this stuff, but man, that ref dropped the ball.
aceprone
4/8/07 12:28:37PM
aparently you never saw the James Thomspon vs Hidehiko Yoshida. That was horrible. Dragged Yoshida back into the ring. Pride has never been that great at stopping fights IMO, expecially when it comes to their "stars."
D-Boy
4/8/07 12:29:31PM
They seem to want James Thompson to lose, it was almost like it was Sakuraba fighting in a Don Frye suit.
pv3Hpv3p
4/8/07 12:29:31PM
Personally I started wondering who he had in his corner... I know Don is not a quiter, but someone should have thrown in the towel for Christ's sake...

That fight was really hard to watch
Mastodon2
4/8/07 12:31:23PM

Posted by D-Boy

They seem to want James Thompson to lose, it was almost like it was Sakuraba fighting in a Don Frye suit.

They have stopped Sakuraba fights early, look at Sakuraba versus Schembri, Saku wasnt out, but the ref jumped in and stopped it.
D-Boy
4/8/07 12:37:45PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by D-Boy

They have stopped Sakuraba fights early, look at Sakuraba versus Schembri, Saku wasnt out, but the ref jumped in and stopped it.

Not even sure why I put Sakuraba I just wrote the first Japanese fighter that came into my mind. It was the same when James fought Yoshida too
KentaFuji
4/8/07 12:38:33PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by D-Boy

OR...Saku was completely out, face down, not defending himself while Nino kept hitting him....AND THEN the ref stepped in. Calling that an early stoppage is a complete joke!
disorderlyvision
4/8/07 12:40:33PM
just saw the fight. frye took a beating at the end. it should have been stopped sooner
Mastodon2
4/8/07 12:47:10PM
Saku wasnt out, the knee was shit and schembri wasnt even hitting properly anyway. Schembri is a complete bum.
BadSanta
4/8/07 2:51:41PM
Frye was still standing and Thompson's punches were slow and lethargic. I can't believe what is happening to some MMA fans...did you want to watch a fight or not???!!!
pv3Hpv3p
4/8/07 3:16:26PM

Posted by BadSanta

Frye was still standing and Thompson's punches were slow and lethargic. I can't believe what is happening to some MMA fans...did you want to watch a fight or not???!!!

I'd like to pose the same question to you... For one, those slow and lathargic punches were coming from a big strong guy, and most of them were landing with full force.

And for another, if Thompson's punches were slow and lathargic, how would you describe the few punche that Don threw in his defense in the last minute or so?

It's not what MMA fans are turning into, it's just most of us that can see that a fighter is beaten, and aren't wathcing just for the bloodlust...

No one wants to see Don Frye end up puch drunk like so many retired boxers.
PW
4/8/07 5:38:07PM
The Sakuraba vs Schembri fight ended because of an accidental illegal headbutt followed by the knee. Sakuraba was down and not even attempting to defend himself while Schembri kicked him. He was out. Sakuraba is definately a guy that has taken some unnessesary beatings and has been in a few questionable situations all around.

I'd like to see Thompson rematch Butterbean and then finally get that fight with Mark Coleman that he's been wanting for ages. I'd also like to see a Thompson vs Zulu fight and I really hope that the super heavyweight GP happens with the winner being awarded the division's championship belt.
gspfan31
4/8/07 6:25:58PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Personally I started wondering who he had in his corner... I know Don is not a quiter, but someone should have thrown in the towel for Christ's sake...

That fight was really hard to watch

agree, people bitch about the refs but you have to lay some blame onthe corner
JimiMak
4/8/07 7:02:05PM
I would think that most corners would've thrown the towel. I also found it hard to watch. But a standing fighter who is throwing punches and "trying" to defend himself, in Japan under Japanese rules in front of Japanese fans it's hard to stop these things. Once they make Herb Dean head of PRIDE officiating everything will change
Trapt1nw0nder
4/8/07 7:17:02PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by BadSanta

I'd like to pose the same question to you... For one, those slow and lathargic punches were coming from a big strong guy, and most of them were landing with full force.

And for another, if Thompson's punches were slow and lathargic, how would you describe the few punche that Don threw in his defense in the last minute or so?

It's not what MMA fans are turning into, it's just most of us that can see that a fighter is beaten, and aren't wathcing just for the bloodlust...

I agree man....us as MMA fans should care about the fighters....not just there to see a beating....sure if they are both returning the favor,then let it go on..but if there is no chance for someone to come up on top..they should stop it.

i tried to give you props again,but i must spread the love a little more....
Cobbs666
4/8/07 7:51:02PM
watch the fight again here is the link it wasnt a bad call maybe a few punches to late but thats why they sign waivers
warglory
4/8/07 7:53:39PM
A few punches? The last couple minutes of that match were virtually all unanswered punches. Frye was attempting to stop Thompson but only because the ref wasn't stopping it.
MMA117
4/8/07 11:15:26PM
yah they dont like early stops in japan people get pissed
kerazzle
4/9/07 12:02:47AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by BadSanta

Exactly, the point is, Don was not intelligently defending himself. He could have been getting hit by a toddler with sock em boppers and it wouldnt matter. He was staggering and had his hands down and ate punches from the mighty powerful James Thompson for a loooooong time.
Nacho
4/9/07 12:34:40PM

Posted by MMA117

yah they dont like early stops in japan people get pissed

There needs to be a balance between calling a fight too early (i.e. Tito v. Shamrock II) and this disaster. Colossus was pumeling Frye's big nugget over and over and over. Frye's corner should have thrown the towell in since the ref was waiting for Frye's head to explode. Now that UFC and Pride are under the same ownership, I do see this getting fixed.
boj123
4/9/07 1:11:56PM
frye as was cleary out. it took many shots in the head before the ref stepped in. the ref should be fined or suspended for his stupid actions.