Frye Bows Out of Yamma; Taktarov to Face Pat Smith

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frye Bows Out of Yamma; Taktarov to Face Pat Smith
ncordless
3/20/08 12:19:26AM
Link to Sherdog

Don Frye (Pictures) has pulled out of a scheduled April 11 main event against Oleg Taktarov for the debuting Yamma Pit Fighting promotion, Sherdog.com learned Wednesday.

Taktarov will instead face UFC 1 tournament entrant Patrick Smith, according to Smith's co-managers Francois Nguyen and Tommy Rojas. A contract is expected to be signed and returned this week.

Hurray for the MMA Senior Tour!
jae_1833
3/20/08 1:36:01AM
Too bad, Oleg v Don would have been cool...Pat Smith now...that's deserving of the BANANA!!!
Nightmare27
3/20/08 2:34:53AM
Oleg by heelhook.
Gannon
3/20/08 3:05:23AM
These two names are bringing back my past. Many years back i went to a ufc in casper Wyo. Oleg and Smith both fought on that card. I actually got to see Oleg tap tank in a small crowd, then watch Pat Smith land a crazy front kick to his opponent.

Hate to say it though. This is not very exciting. This thing is going to fall on its face.

Svartorm
3/20/08 3:39:37AM
Could have done worse on short notice. If Pat is smart, he can win this fight easy, as he has a HUGE reach advantage, and Oleg is too slow to get any kind of shot.
CornishMMA
3/20/08 6:33:45AM
Damn shame this, was looking forward to seeing Frye fighting again
Sir_Karl
3/20/08 11:41:52AM
Pat Smith and Oleg were my 2 favorite fighters way back when.
Interesting to hear for sure.
Oleg had amazing Sambo and submissions (and could take a beating)...and Smith was one of the most well rounded fighters at the time.
They were both pioneers of the sport for sure.

keith-hackney1
3/20/08 2:22:49PM

Posted by Gannon

These two names are bringing back my past. Many years back i went to a ufc in casper Wyo. Oleg and Smith both fought on that card. I actually got to see Oleg tap tank in a small crowd, then watch Pat Smith land a crazy front kick to his opponent.

Hate to say it though. This is not very exciting. This thing is going to fall on its face.

They should of fought in that tournament too, pat smith dropped out after beating moncayo, taktarov beat david benatou, in the semi's saw smith vs oleg. Smith dropped out and oleg fought macias in a fixed quick submission win over a team mate from the lions den !!!! Remember that guys ??
whardin19
3/21/08 1:43:39PM

Posted by Svartorm

Could have done worse on short notice. If Pat is smart, he can win this fight easy, as he has a HUGE reach advantage, and Oleg is too slow to get any kind of shot.

Well said. I agree.
mrsmiley
3/22/08 10:48:33AM
This is soooooo old school.I freaking love it.
It sucks Frye is out,but I still want to see this.