I have NEVER been so frustrated with a fight in my life! (spoiler)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » I have NEVER been so frustrated with a fight in my life! (spoiler)
warglory
12/12/07 10:07:12PM
WTF is wrong with Chael Sonnen?! The dude was completely decimating this fight and could have easily finished the match in the first round, but he chose to shoot in on a couple occasions, nearly getting caught in two submissions along the way. However, while standing and with his GnP, he was completely dominant. Paulo wasn't blocking ANY shots, yet for some reason, Chael failed to capitalize, throwing far less than he should have. I went into this match thinking Paulo was going to dominate, but I immediately started cheering on Chael and yelling at my television because the dude was clearly winning, but wasn't getting the job done! Paulo got tooled, plain and simple, and he got the win because his opponent failed to capitalize, not because he took the match.

Let me tell you, if Paulo runs his mouth after this one I will be severely disappointed.

Phew, okay, just had to get that out of my system.
zephead
12/12/07 10:11:10PM
Why he would take it to the ground is unbeleivable. He was completely dominating the stand up.
richieb19
12/12/07 10:14:02PM
First of all, don't bother putting (spoiler) in the title, there is a spoiler forum. Secondly, I know not everybody will agree, but technical submissions (even though the official finish was "verbal submission") are a nessessary evil. The armbar was fully extended, and aside from Chael having it already injured in the 1st, it was about to be broken. A perfect example would be Shamrock / Frye, because even though Frye won a splitter, he still suffers from lthe eglocks that he chose not to submit to and the ref chose not to stop the fight on (he also became addicted to pain killers as a result). With all of this said, I can understand the frustration that results from a stoppage like this, especially since Sonnen was winning... but again, it's a very important (and IMHO great) stoppage.
Scott_Revels
12/12/07 10:22:07PM
I'm passed the point where I am angry at the stoppage. I'm at the point now where i'll hold the Fertitas hostage, until Filho/Sonnen 2 gets made. If I don't hear anything about it, within the next couple of days, I'm going to look the Fertitas up.
warglory
12/12/07 10:30:24PM

Posted by richieb19

First of all, don't bother putting (spoiler) in the title, there is a spoiler forum. Secondly, I know not everybody will agree, but technical submissions (even though the official finish was "verbal submission") are a nessessary evil. The armbar was fully extended, and aside from Chael having it already injured in the 1st, it was about to be broken. A perfect example would be Shamrock / Frye, because even though Frye won a splitter, he still suffers from lthe eglocks that he chose not to submit to and the ref chose not to stop the fight on (he also became addicted to pain killers as a result). With all of this said, I can understand the frustration that results from a stoppage like this, especially since Sonnen was winning... but again, it's a very important (and IMHO great) stoppage.

The ending wasn't the problem, it was everything that led up to the ending that pissed me off. I don't usually say this, but that was Chael's fight to lose, and he did.
ohiostate1016
12/12/07 10:31:19PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

I'm passed the point where I am angry at the stoppage. I'm at the point now where i'll hold the Fertitas hostage, until Filho/Sonnen 2 gets made. If I don't hear anything about it, within the next couple of days, I'm going to look the Fertitas up.

Come on, that's kind of ridiculous. First of all, it's just a fight. And second, did you really want Sonnen to get his arm broken? The dude was screaming for a reason.
DieSlow
12/13/07 3:47:58AM

Posted by richieb19
I know not everybody will agree, but technical submissions (even though the official finish was "verbal submission") are a nessessary evil. The armbar was fully extended, and aside from Chael having it already injured in the 1st, it was about to be broken. With all of this said, I can understand the frustration that results from a stoppage like this, especially since Sonnen was winning... but again, it's a very important (and IMHO great) stoppage.

Richieb19 just saved me a whole lot of typing.
Tap or no tap, if the ref had not stopped the fight, within 1-2 seconds Chaels arm and/or elbow would have been in pieces.
I will respect him if he admits his loss but if he continues to say he only lost because of stoppage he is no longer an honorable fighter.
Ref did him a favor and saved him several months of rehab and recovery time.
Overall that was a great fight card, excellent match ups.
Hope to see more from WEC.
Peace.
Scott_Revels
12/13/07 4:26:10AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by Scott_Revels

Come on, that's kind of ridiculous. First of all, it's just a fight. And second, did you really want Sonnen to get his arm broken? The dude was screaming for a reason.

Scream or not, it shouldn't have ended until Chael tapped, or had his arm broken. Chael so far has been the only one who looked good against Filho.. If they don't rematch, and find a definitive winner, then there's always going to be that, "could Chael have muscled out of that armbar?" If it was a popular UFC fighter in there and a bullshit call was made, everyone would be screaming for a rematch. I think if they fight again, Chael is going home WEC Middleweight Champion. He knows what to do, what not to do and what to do better.
jomatty
12/13/07 5:27:15AM
there was a definite winner...sure filho looked bad and was getting dominated but in the end he found a way to win and pulled out the W. Thats what tough fighters do. thats what champions do. ill be surprised if filho/sonnen 2 happens anytime soon because it is such a bad matchup for filho. a guy with better stand up and an edge in the wrestling that negates filho's big ground advantage makes for a tough night for filho.

sonnen not tapping is a total non factor. sure he mentioned it,and i would have too, but he didnt really complain. he showed how tough he is and then gave it up for filho. there is no way he was gonna get out of that armbar and the ref saved him a lot of rehabilitation and all of us from seeing something really nasty.
atlas777
12/13/07 9:53:03AM
The referee is there to prtect the fighters if a guy is screaming in pain IMO that means hes getting hurt which means the ref should do his job and thats what he did, if chael hadnt had tapped and the ref didnt stop it his arm would be wrecked his elbow shoulder forearm it would all be destroyed now do you want the guy to keep fighting? becuase i would like to see him again its better that the ref stepped in and stopped it so chael can fight again soon rather than be laid off for months and not be able to use his arm for a year. It was a good stop the guy was obviously in pain the ref was doing his job and Filho would have ripped the guys arm clean off in the last 5 seconds its not like chael was going to get out of that armbar it was fully locked out and he wouldnt even had been able to stand or do anything in defense and Filho is a really strong guy if the ref hadnt had stopped it when he did sonnen wouldnt be using his arm for at least 6 months. Good stoppage ref.
Scott_Revels
12/13/07 2:45:53PM
Another thing you have to look at is.. There was 5 seconds left in the round. If Sonnen wouldn't have tapped in the five seconds, and he worked to keep from having his arm broken, the third round could've happened, and he may have won then. No matter if you think it's fair or not, you've got to realize, that there wasn't a winner chosen between the fighters. It was a judgement call by a ref, and the company has to stand behind their employee. No one knows what would've happened. I'm sure Sonnen would've powered out of it, or continued until the round ended. Without there being a chance for that to be proven or not now in this fight, I say lets make a rematch. Then if there is a definitive winner, and there wasn't a judgement call ending, we can know who was the better fighter.

I'll admit, part of me still thinks that the ref stopped the fight to protect the champion, from losing his title. Sonnen was going to beat him, and they didn't want that. No one (at least I hope so), should believe that Filho has a shot at Anderson after last night, so why not give Sonnen another shot?
jae_1833
12/25/07 4:02:05PM
Whoa buddy take a !! No need to start making accusations of WEC fixing a fight. They faught, he got screwed, whatever. Rematch in a couple of fights....and Filho was NEVER in Anderson Silva's class to begin with! Just cause you don't yet have an L doesn't mean your that awesome. Just look at Diego, that guy was considered "great" until he faught Kos and Fitch! Fitch really put the nail in that coffin!!
BerndRealBad
12/29/07 8:33:34PM
Have you ever seen Chael Sonnen fight before this one? The fights he ends up losing he usually is winning before he does something stupid. Most of his submission losses happen when he's either in guard or on top of his opponent. He makes a lot of mistakes, he made one, the referee made the right call, deal with it. Even if he didn't tap, the fight would not have continued once they saw that Sonnen's elbow was going the wrong way.
jomatty
1/1/08 7:57:19AM
i dont think that filho can beat anderson but the way this fight went down does nothing to sway me against him being a tough guy that has as good a chance as anyone of defeating him. anderson is not easy to take down but the fact is that there are very very few people in the mma world that are as difficult to take down as sonnen. the ones, like dan henderson or matt lindland, who can also outstrike filho are the ones that make for the toughest fight for filho. anyone else filho will be able to take down with his judo

if anything filho's performance made him more likely to be able to compete with anderson because he proved just how tough he is and that he can take a lot of punishment. that is a prerequisite for having any chance vs anderson because you are gonna get hit on the way to a take down. if filho could get him down and get on top of him he just might pull it off. i dont think he will but i think it is definitely a competitive fight.