Freestyle of BJJ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Freestyle of BJJ?
POLL: Which is more beneficial?
BJJ 64% (16)
Freestyle 36% (9)
puppetmaster837
2/11/08 5:04:14PM
So i have done BJJ for about 6 months now and i plan on going into MMA. My wrestling season just ended and i am considering doing Freestyle. The only problem with this is that i would have to stop BJJ for the next couple months because they are on the same days. So would Freestyle be beneficial to general MMA training?
fedorwins1
2/11/08 6:19:54PM
I'm saying BJJ. Freestyle is cool, but without BJJ you could get sub really quick and what are you gonna do if someone takes you down? Wrestlers aren't used to the guard and don't have a very good submission arsenal from there. While if you take BJJ you already have a wrestling background so you could take people down, and even if you do get taken down you've been there 10000 times and know what to do.
bayonetxwork
2/11/08 7:19:46PM
seanfu
2/11/08 8:40:26PM
You're not going to win a fight off of your back against a good powerful wrestler unless he leaves a major opening or really really sucks a BJJ. I say get as good as you can at wrestling, the transition to MMA will be more fluid, you will be able to push your cardio to peek level instead of looking like most pure BJJ softys, and if all else fails you can always revert to lay and pray to win a horrible looking decision.
I like BJJ a lot but it's just not a great base style without great wrestling because of the new crop of wrestlers who know how to escape subs and can keep it on the feet if they want... or the aforementioned hoe move of lay and pray.
Svartorm
2/12/08 5:00:45AM
First off, how old are you? I'm assuming you're in high school.

As for what you should do, I say wrestling. Both will help your game, but wrestling is free while you're in school, and can lead to a scholarship for college if you're good at it. BJJ will always be there, but wrestling is hard to come by outside of school and costs money. If you've only been at it six months, you're years away from ever fighting, so go with wrestling until you're out of school, then take up the BJJ and anything else I need to work on your game.
disturbed_fighter
2/12/08 8:53:32AM
alternate days
fullerene
2/12/08 9:51:00AM

Posted by Svartorm

As for what you should do, I say wrestling. Both will help your game, but wrestling is free while you're in school, and can lead to a scholarship for college if you're good at it. BJJ will always be there, but wrestling is hard to come by outside of school and costs money. If you've only been at it six months, you're years away from ever fighting, so go with wrestling until you're out of school, then take up the BJJ and anything else I need to work on your game.

Wrestling at the high school level in the U.S. has many advantages. As Svartom said it's free and has the potential to offer a scholarship that is worth an awful lot of MMA undercard bout paychecks. It also has better instruction, more good competitors at small weight increments and better organized tournaments than any other grappling style (in the U.S.).
Jackelope
2/12/08 1:07:01PM
Exactly right on the wrestling for a scholarship deal.

Some other people mentioned it already, but the strength and work ethic developed from wrestling for years is unparalelled in any BJJ practicioner I've ever seen. "Softies" are a great way to describe some BJJ guys. Let's not also forget that you'll get practice cutting weight, and should you choose to be a fighter in the future the better you are at making weight the less you have to worry about.

Wrestling will teach you how to keep your weight down on your opponent on the ground, how to take them down, how to avoid being taken down, how to reverse being rear mounted, etc. etc. etc. There are many areas it applies in BJJ, and once you compliment your game in the future with some slick subs you'll be good to go.
madmarck
2/12/08 6:44:45PM

Posted by Jackelope

Exactly right on the wrestling for a scholarship deal.

Some other people mentioned it already, but the strength and work ethic developed from wrestling for years is unparalelled in any BJJ practicioner I've ever seen. "Softies" are a great way to describe some BJJ guys. Let's not also forget that you'll get practice cutting weight, and should you choose to be a fighter in the future the better you are at making weight the less you have to worry about.

Wrestling will teach you how to keep your weight down on your opponent on the ground, how to take them down, how to avoid being taken down, how to reverse being rear mounted, etc. etc. etc. There are many areas it applies in BJJ, and once you compliment your game in the future with some slick subs you'll be good to go.

I actually attended a BJJ seminar this weekened by a Former World Champ and Abu Dabi Competitor. I wont mention he name because he was a great teacher..... but he looked awfully soft and only walks around at 170.
BJJ is a sport but it seems like a lot of its top athletes aren't Jacked. I guess it is just the idea of still skill over strength.
Where as Wrestlers tend to be able to beat BJJ guys all the time for one simple reason.
Wrestlers go to a BJJ guys house in the morning prior to their match and roll the BJJ guy's car onto is roof and then run to the arena. BJJ guys dont have that kind of strength.
While not all BJJ guys are weak. Pretty much all Wrestlers are Nucking Futs.
fedorwins1
2/12/08 6:51:16PM

Posted by madmarck

I actually attended a BJJ seminar this weekened by a Former World Champ and Abu Dabi Competitor. I wont mention he name because he was a great teacher..... but he looked awfully soft and only walks around at 170.
BJJ is a sport but it seems like a lot of its top athletes aren't Jacked. I guess it is just the idea of still skill over strength.
Where as Wrestlers tend to be able to beat BJJ guys all the time for one simple reason.
Wrestlers go to a BJJ guys house in the morning prior to their match and roll the BJJ guy's car onto is roof and then run to the arena. BJJ guys dont have that kind of strength.

Yeah some wrestlers do have some crazy strength, but so do some grapplers; Karo Parisian is an example the guy looks like a coach potato but when he gets a hold of you you're almost certainly going to be landing on your head. I hate it when I roll with really good wrestlers because they take you down or you pull guard and then you're stuck there pretty much.....unless you're flexible enough to throw up the rubber guard. Wrestlers have absolutely no clue what to do in the rubber guard, most of them put their hands on the ground and that's when you start to work them over
seanfu
2/13/08 8:17:59PM

Give props

RMFG_187
2/14/08 11:00:11AM
i tried freestyle, i enjoyed it. but nothing can substitute for BJJ. but if u are still in highschool, i defintly recommend doing the wrestling, because it is free, and could lead to better things. esspecially if u have only done BJJ for 6 months, u still have a long ways to go.
KeNn
2/14/08 1:02:52PM
I never wrestled, but I boxed all threw high school.
I regret not wrestling, but wrestling still ain't got shit on this.

U EVA SEEN DEZE PIPES?

no but seriously, bjj is the shit.
but Im out of school and can't wrestle no where so just take it threw school.

Seanfu=
I'm deffinately not going to get into this, but
Minatour
4/28/08 5:40:02PM

Posted by seanfu

You're not going to win a fight off of your back against a good powerful wrestler unless he leaves a major opening or really really sucks a BJJ. I say get as good as you can at wrestling, the transition to MMA will be more fluid, you will be able to push your cardio to peek level instead of looking like most pure BJJ softys, and if all else fails you can always revert to lay and pray to win a horrible looking decision.
I like BJJ a lot but it's just not a great base style without great wrestling because of the new crop of wrestlers who know how to escape subs and can keep it on the feet if they want... or the aforementioned hoe move of lay and pray.

good post, agree that its not a good idea to neglect his wrestling.
jgtribbett
5/3/08 9:31:15PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I'm saying BJJ. Freestyle is cool, but without BJJ you could get sub really quick and what are you gonna do if someone takes you down? Wrestlers aren't used to the guard and don't have a very good submission arsenal from there. While if you take BJJ you already have a wrestling background so you could take people down, and even if you do get taken down you've been there 10000 times and know what to do.

after six months.. he knows what the guard is.. c'mon.
dude honestly.. i say do both.. no need to practice freestyle alot.. work up on your throws and all that stuff (that is the only real addition to folkstyle). There is a freestyle meet every weekend somewhere (maybe more than one place at a time) in your state every weekend.. dude.. 2 weekends do greco/freestyle and then the 3rd do a bjj tournament..
i guess my only point is taht .. your base is wrestling and tomaintain that base you should try to compete in it. dude.. i wouldnt practice freestyle.. from my experience.. the freestyle practices arent worth much anyway. compete on the weekends and continue to do your bjj during the week. and pls pls pls.. dont rule out greco.. it crosses over into mma better than the shooting on someone.. if you can work the clinch well.. odds are that you can countrol the fight.. (couture for instance). same reason A. Silva didnt want to get too close to Hendo at first.. dude .. do what you feel like.. but it wont hurt to go to wrestling meets on the weekend.. itll just hurt your wallet (USA Wrestling.. con artists haha)
Omega
5/4/08 12:08:09AM

Posted by Svartorm

Quoted for truth.