Anyone a Freemason?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Anyone a Freemason?
Svartorm
4/18/07 10:35:55PM
Just got back from lodge and was curious if there were any other masons on here, and if so, what lodge are you from?
sfhdsa
4/19/07 1:00:00AM
My dad's a mason. Don't think I'll ever follow suit though.
Svartorm
4/19/07 1:05:53AM
Why not?
Mastodon2
4/19/07 2:45:59AM
What is the point of actually being a Freemason? From all I've ever read or heard, it just sounds like a minorly exclusive society, but its never made implicitly or explicitly clear how it benefits its members.
Svartorm
4/19/07 2:55:18AM
The benefits are from the brotherly love and fellowship shared by the members, and the charity work we do benefits a wide range of people.

I suppose there are perks to being a member, but thats really not the point.
D-Boy
4/19/07 10:28:40AM
My dad is one too, I have no idea what they do and he won't tell me but he wants me to join. I think I'll pass :p
loller90278
4/19/07 11:38:31AM
how can you check for a lodge near you ?
i have no friends that are freemasons, but am interested
Mastodon2
4/19/07 6:43:42PM
Turns out my Grandfather was one, but he thought it was a waste of time so he left.
hcazlekker
4/19/07 8:04:49PM
My mom's bf is a freemason. They do a lot of charity work and they take care of their own.

I remember hearing a story from him; about how a fellow mason was in a financial predicament and everyone in his lodge chipped in and left an envelope with cash on the guy's dining room table.
mrsumo
4/19/07 11:38:29PM
Never was a freemason, but oddly when I was younger I had a couple of girlfirends that were Job's daughters.

I really like watching those shows on history channel and stuff about Masons and their conspiratorial history. Sounds like a good group of friends to have. I do have a question for you tho, from what i have heard and learned about them, doesn't it conflict with your asatru interests?
sfhdsa
4/19/07 11:47:34PM

Posted by Svartorm

Why not?

Don't you have to be religious?
Or at least believe in a higher power?

Ydoc
4/19/07 11:52:09PM
So, who is your Supreme Being?

Svartorm
4/20/07 3:57:42AM
D-Boy: Thats actually a misconception held by old-school Freemasons. There are secrets in Freemasonry, and he can't tell you what goes on during lodge, or during any of the rituals, but he can give you a basic run-down of what they do as a lodge. Basically, if it happens in the lodge room, its a no-no, but even the preparations for the degrees, which take place outside the lodge room, are not forbidden.

Loller: Go to www.freemason.org , which is the Grand Lodge of Californias website. That'll have some basic info and a listing of lodges in your state.

hcaz: Thats actually a requirement of a freemason, to aid any poor, distressed brothers that ask for help (or are too proud to ask, but need it anyways ) Brothers are good for that sort of thing.

Mr.sumo: Thats more or less left up to the person involved. You have to believe in a Supreme Being, who is generally referred to as God, Deity, Grand Arcitect of the Universe, or some such title to make it non-denominational. Being as the Asatru pantheon has a surpreme being in Odin, its all good. Its really up to the person, as your brothers will never ask about your religion, and the requirement is there to ensure that when you take an oath, there is a higher power involved to hold you accountable for said oath.
Svartorm
4/20/07 4:08:51AM
Oh, as for a benefit I just realized. Theres a big dinner before lodge meetings, and being as I have the biggest appetite anyone at the lodge has ever seen, they sent me home with a gallon of lamb stew that was leftover from dinner, which I'm chowing on right now.
Ydoc
4/20/07 12:21:17PM
So your God is collateral in the trust that the Freemasons are giving you to keep the oath?

That's crazy.
mrsumo
4/20/07 1:09:35PM
Free food at meetings? Sign me right up!
loller90278
4/20/07 1:15:58PM
thanks for the link, theres a lodge maybe 4 streets down that i never knew of, haha.

i'll go check it out
disorderlyvision
4/20/07 5:41:01PM

Posted by Svartorm

Just got back from lodge and was curious if there were any other masons on here, and if so, what lodge are you from?

I am a freemason and i am in the scottish rite. palmyra lodge # 18 A.F. & A.M. in missouri
Svartorm
4/20/07 9:51:22PM

Posted by Ydoc

So your God is collateral in the trust that the Freemasons are giving you to keep the oath?

That's crazy.

Sort of. You're required to swear oathes to your God, so if you're an atheist, you can't fulfill that part of the requirement. I personally don't feel an atheist can't be trusted, but the concept is is that if you have no one to answer to, you have nothing but your good name to keep you from breaking an oath.
Svartorm
4/20/07 9:52:46PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by Svartorm

I am a freemason and i am in the scottish rite. palmyra lodge # 18 A.F. & A.M. in missouri

Hey brother!

I don't have time for Scottish or York Rite at the moment, but maybe later. If I join any other lodge though, it'll probably be the Shiners, just to see if I can hang with that crazy bunch.
disorderlyvision
4/22/07 12:28:09PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by Svartorm

Hey brother!

I don't have time for Scottish or York Rite at the moment, but maybe later. If I join any other lodge though, it'll probably be the Shiners, just to see if I can hang with that crazy bunch.

yeah the only reason i am not a shriner is because the dues are rather high and i cant really afford it right now. i got a lifetime membership to the blue lodge with my tax return a couple years ago, so i dont ever have to pay dues again. it was like $500 i figured it would save me some loot in the long run.

i havent been very active in the scottish rite lately. i used to be part of the
degree cast. just haven't had as much time .
randyleprechaun
4/22/07 6:19:54PM
In my opinion its a pile of crap, but to each his own!

I love the Simpsons piss-take on it. Check it out if you haven't seen it before! STONECUTTERS
warglory
4/23/07 4:45:55PM

Posted by randyleprechaun

In my opinion its a pile of crap, but to each his own!

I love the Simpsons piss-take on it. Check it out if you haven't seen it before! STONECUTTERS

Any organization that pledges to protect its own and provide mandatory charity isn't what I'd call crap. You don't believe, that's fine, but they only do good.
MethodMan
4/27/07 6:27:28AM
I always liked the sound of the OGE order of the golden eagles, any Secret society that was founded by owners of burlesque theatres and brothels must be fun right. The Hellfire club sounded like a lot of fun too, debauchery and orgies and was'nt Benjamin Franklin a member while he was in London.
mrsumo
4/27/07 11:02:11PM
I always wanted to be a member of Balls and Shaft! That looked like a good group.

Anyone remember that movie?
Svartorm
4/30/07 1:35:21AM
Thats one of my favorite movies dude.
JimiMak
5/1/07 10:25:42AM
Shouldn't a mason not be "talking so loudly" about it on a public forum where you don't know who anyone is. It should be a handshake or something in your name or av, right?