Did the free ufc show work?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Did the free ufc show work?
POLL: Did the free UFC show work?
Yes, now that I think about it, I'll just watch the free show and not buy Affliction. 51% (29)
No, going to TiVo UFC and pay the money for Affliction. 40% (23)
Dude, I dont know what the hell your talking about. 9% (5)
Dragonscale
7/17/08 2:12:44PM
You know, as the day nears, I ended up thinking, the hell with it... I'm just going to save the $40 and watch the free UFC show. By the time its over and I got to watch free fights all night long I'll just look at the results of Affliction..... you?
postman
7/17/08 2:14:44PM
Im still on the fence about it not to mention its $50.
Dragonscale
7/17/08 2:17:48PM
It sucks, I really want ALL MMA to succeed. But with money tight right now *shrugs* you gotta do what you gotta do.
juanez13
7/17/08 2:26:25PM
For the casual fans it works, not so much for the Hard Core fans. the sport being as young as it is, the majority of the fans are casual, and they watch mostly based on name recognition, so instead of buying a show that they heard very little about, lets watch the UFC that we know is good. so at the end of the day it does matter, because it takes away the biggest fanbase from affliction.

EDIT: also money is an issue for alot of fans, as seen above, with more PPV's coming up, why not watch the free show and save for the next shows coming up, knowing that the fights you will pay $50 for will be on the internet the next morning, and watch the free show live, which isnt a bad card either.

For me, i'm not buying the show, just got a new house so im staying away from this for a bit, but i will watch in on the internet and hook it up to my TV, and i'll keep my other TV on spike just to see the results (or if a fight is boring, or im more interested in a fight thats on UFC i'll switch for a bit)
gsquat
7/17/08 2:30:19PM
Sure. I've been looking forward to watching MMA this weekend. I can either pay for it, or not. For a guy who's married with two kids and plenty of bills, the fight night appeals to me.
Cdellorso
7/17/08 2:49:20PM
weare getting the same group (fight camp) together all pitching in $5 bucks and bringing food- I cant wait to see all those top heavy weights- we will also see fedor in a real test. I give Timmy a better shot then most to win..
candynuts
7/17/08 3:12:46PM
I can see how it could work, and I think that it will probably work. However, I always watch UFC PPV's w/ a few friends so we split up the $$$.
Pookie
7/17/08 3:13:24PM

Posted by postman

Im still on the fence about it not to mention its $50.

its $40
jocka
7/17/08 3:27:58PM
I don't understand why you guys are always complaining about the price of the PPV. am i the only onw that knows what FTA is???
Dragonscale
7/17/08 3:35:34PM

Posted by jocka

I don't understand why you guys are always complaining about the price of the PPV. am i the only onw that knows what FTA is???

lol, I guess so, i dont now what that is :P

And yea, I put a Real Life bet on big Tim... should be a good payout. *crosses fingers*
Buddharox
7/17/08 5:12:10PM
Doesn't cost that much if you have friends to split the PPV with. $40 isn't even that much for a full night of fights. A night out at a bar will put you back more than that.
Rush
7/17/08 5:35:19PM
I don't think it will make that much of an impact. Most hardcore fans (of MMA) will most likely want to support the Affliction event.

Casual fans will watcht he UFC because they are hard core UFC fans and/or don't even know what Affliction is. Regardless, they probably wouldn't get or watch the Affliction event on a night with no UFC show.

I mean, look at how long Pride was on. How many of the casual fans know much (if anything) about Pride? The UFC had the luxury of being first and went through a lot of growing pains to get to where it is today with respect to being well known.

Affliction will fail or succeed the same whether it competes with the UFC or not. It will come down to how deep the pockets are of the investors and how well they market their events (not just the fighters themselves).
mkiv9secsupra
7/17/08 6:04:56PM
For the hardcore fans i dont think it worked at all but to the casual fan they are going to see a free UFC with big names and another org with big names that is 50 dollars and choose to watch UFC instead. So overall i think it worked great. We'll just have to wait and see the numbers though
loller90278
7/17/08 6:16:00PM

Posted by jocka

FTA exists because not everyone knows about it. let's keep it that way aye?
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/08 6:30:49PM
They're actually playing Affliction: Banned at a bar around my place (Sneaky Pete's in Minneapolis)... But I have a bachelor party to go to (unfortunatley that bar is not on the agenda), so me and some buddies are actually going to order it on sunday evening
Dragonscale
7/17/08 7:35:26PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by jocka

I agree, and I dont even know about it ... PM me with info plese
puppetmaster837
7/17/08 10:43:10PM
yes it worked, but i just got a good job with no bills to pay so i dont have a problem doing it this one time. i usually just put 5 on them. But anyone who it did work on is gonna miss some incredible fights
Gipper
7/18/08 5:11:37AM
ufc is going to cost affliction 100 000 ppv buys.
imanidiot777
7/18/08 9:10:45AM
Not sure how much of an effect it will have overall but since money is scarce at the moment I'm going with the free one.
jocka
7/18/08 10:43:29AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by jocka

HAhahahahaha yeah you are right i know am just suprised how few people know about it....
prozacnation1978
7/18/08 7:06:36PM
i would rather save the money watch a free ufc show and use the money next month on ufc 87