Free doesn't always mean good

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Free doesn't always mean good
aznteabagger
4/22/07 7:14:05PM
if you saw UFC 70 on SpikeTV you probably saw
Andre Arlovski victory, Judge's decision, Unanimous/majority decision
Cheick Kongo victory, Judge's decision, Unanimous/majority decision

and THANK GOD WE DIDNT HAVE TO SEE
Ryoto Machida victory, Judge's decision, Unanimous/majority decision

now here are the fights that GOT FINISHED
Terry Etim victory, Fight ends in round 1, Submission / Tapout
Junior Assuncao victory, Fight ends in round 2, Submission / Tapout
Jess Liaudin victory, Fight ends in round 1, Submission / Tapout
Paul Taylor victory, Fight ends in round 3, KO / TKO
Alessio Sakara victory, Fight ends in round 1, KO / TKO

all we got to see was

i dont know about you...but i would have rather watched all of the undercards than most of the main cards

Michael Bisping victory, Fight ends in round 2, KO / TKO
being the exception
iwannabesedated
4/22/07 7:58:36PM
Free is ok..im kinda glad i didnt have to pay 40 bucks to see cro cop get kicked in the head...that would make me more upset..
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/22/07 8:38:45PM

Posted by aznteabagger

all we got to see was

i dont know about you...but i would have rather watched all of the undercards than most of the main cards

being the exception

The Machida fight was awsome I dont know what you are talking about
D-Boy
4/22/07 10:13:20PM
The dark matched were great I thought Paul Taylors fight was good too but they didn't show that one
JimiMak
4/22/07 10:37:42PM
So, a finish is all you look for? I don't think that's always the guage personally.
pv3Hpv3p
4/22/07 11:22:24PM

Posted by aznteabagger

all we got to see was

being the exception

Is there really a difference between what we got for free on Spike and the normal 5 fights we get paying $40 for a PPV? They never, ever show all the matches... I guess I don't understand your complaint
richieb19
4/22/07 11:31:51PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

The Machida fight was awsome I dont know what you are talking about

link it up if you can find it...
Ydoc
4/22/07 11:34:14PM
You act like decision is the worst thing in the world. The two decisions shown were bad matches, but some of my favorite fights are decisions: Randy vs Tito, Forest vs Stephen, Diego vs Karo, Randy vs Tim. Like Jimi said you can't gauge fights that way.

I can't really believe anyone complaining about a free PPV event... you got to see a great comeback in Etim vs Grice, Bisping go apeshit on Elvis, and maybe the biggest KO ever from a grappler who was fighting the greatest stand up fighter to date. Keep your eye open on unleashed and you may see some of the undercard that you rank so much higher then some of the cool hilights of this PPV that you did see.
SteedTheDeed
4/22/07 11:39:08PM
most fight nights suck but hey its free
JimiMak
4/22/07 11:43:14PM
Good god, have we really gotten to the point where "fans" are bitching about free mma? I remember when you couldn't even get it on ppv.

I'm thankful for Spike and youtube and dailymotion and dewsaw and every other bit of free mma I get. They do have to advertise certain fights and make sure they get shown, not say "we'll edit the card to best of the night". Ppl like to see the card as is. I also wanna ad that I can't believe they aren't showing Machida's matches yet. He's abuot to be one of the only legit contenders left.
pv3Hpv3p
4/22/07 11:58:27PM

Posted by JimiMak

Good god, have we really gotten to the point where "fans" are bitching about free mma? I remember when you couldn't even get it on ppv.

I'm thankful for Spike and youtube and dailymotion and dewsaw and every other bit of free mma I get. They do have to advertise certain fights and make sure they get shown, not say "we'll edit the card to best of the night". Ppl like to see the card as is. I also wanna ad that I can't believe they aren't showing Machida's matches yet. He's abuot to be one of the only legit contenders left.

I completely agree with the Machida coment... They guy is a fantastic fighter and I don't know why they keep him in dark matches... I guess he's only fought two UFC fights, and comparing that to the number of fights that Jon Fitch has had and the limited amount of exposure he's seen, it sometimes makes you wonder, if they will ever stop catering to the "new MMA fans" and start giving us die-hards what we want to see too

But like you said, the only complaint I have about free MMA, is that they don't show enough of it
Northrend
4/23/07 2:00:06AM
Are you kidding me? I would kill SOMEONE to see that Machida fight...ive been trying to get a good link for over 2 hours now. And for me the only fight that was semi-boring was Silva/Kongo and even that one was intense since I really wanted Silva to win. I think this website (for me at least) makes the fights more intresting since you put the website money/record and what not on it.
MyDementedMind
4/23/07 1:08:37PM
I think this is a perfect representation of the new fans coming into MMA. If the fight doesn't end in some dramatic fashion then it is labeled a bad fight. It takes a lot for two fighters to go to a decision and sometimes it is because of hesiatation on the fighters part (Sanchez/Koscheck, Sylvia/Monson) but a lot of the time it's two fighters with huge hearts who refuse to quit and give 110% (Griffin/Bonnar). Sure, seeing a slick submission or brutal knockout is what we watch this sport for but decisions are part of the game too and a 15 minute fight is sometimes way more exciting then a KO 3 minutes into the 1st round.
papercut
4/23/07 4:48:10PM

Posted by MyDementedMind

I think this is a perfect representation of the new fans coming into MMA. If the fight doesn't end in some dramatic fashion then it is labeled a bad fight. It takes a lot for two fighters to go to a decision and sometimes it is because of hesiatation on the fighters part (Sanchez/Koscheck, Sylvia/Monson) but a lot of the time it's two fighters with huge hearts who refuse to quit and give 110% (Griffin/Bonnar). Sure, seeing a slick submission or brutal knockout is what we watch this sport for but decisions are part of the game too and a 15 minute fight is sometimes way more exciting then a KO 3 minutes into the 1st round.

very wellput (I'll even give props for that)
jdubs
4/23/07 7:02:08PM
ufc 70 ties the ufc aa fought tim the second time for the suckiest ufc... big let down
iwannabesedated
4/23/07 8:12:29PM

Posted by jdubs

ufc 70 ties the ufc aa fought tim the second time for the suckiest ufc... big let down

well bottom line is....it was FREE..so for those you who enjoyed it yeah great you enjoyed it...for those of you who thought it sucked..then well HEY atleast you didnt drop 40 bucks and on something u thought sucked.and it was only free in America i believe..so unless your canadian or european then i see no reason to complain...i mean cmon cro cop is pry my fave fighter and Gabe's KO on him made it worth the night of commercials...so either way u look i at it..boring or not boring still got to see one the best KO"s ever for free..
Rush
4/23/07 11:12:26PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

so unless your canadian or european then i see no reason to complain.

Canadians get Spike TV too you know.
Sopena66669
4/24/07 12:37:20AM
When your poor (like myself) free is always good... I happy to see that the ufc doesnt have a problem with offering free fights to us at home that we normally would have to pay at least 40 bucks for...
crimethinc
4/25/07 9:30:47AM

Posted by MyDementedMind

Damn it. This is the second time I've posted under mydementedmind's profile. I work with the guy and he never logs out of his damn account.