Free From AFL, Assuncao Going Big In 2009

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Free From AFL, Assuncao Going Big In 2009
MMAcca
12/22/08 5:44:49AM
Raphael Assuncao, ranked as the No. 9 featherweight fighter in the world, has been very successful to this point in his career, all without the backing of a major fight promotion. That is something that should change as he heads into 2009.

Assuncao says that he's in the midst of negotiations that would land him on the biggest stage of his 12-1 professional career in the coming year.

"2009 is going to be a year that everything is going to fall in place for me," he told MMAWeekly.com recently.

LINK
Wolfenstein
12/22/08 11:36:34AM
Good news for Rafael, bad news for the FW division. Rafael was a dominant LW beating guys like Jorge Masvidal and Joe Lauzon. He's more like a top 5 FW in my opinion.

I actually was in Illinois a couple years back and there was an XFO event going on at the Sears Center. It was a great card with guys like Terry Martin, Nate Mohr, Jeff Curran, Donnie Liles,and Brian Gassaway and a few otyhers I don't remember.

Anyways Jeff Curran was fighting Rafael Assuncao at the event. Rafael was absolutely dominating Jeff on the feet and on the ground. On two occasions Rafael was in top position, stood up for a second over Jeff and the ref leaped in and stood them up. By the third round Rafael had learned his lesson and would dart right back to the ground before the ref could intervene.

I'm not sure if kicks to a grounded opponent weren't allowed or what, but at one point Curran was on the ground and Rafael stoof over him and kicked his leg. The ref jumped in and gave Assuncao a warning and stood them up again. I was beginning to wonder just what the hell was going on.

In the third round Rafael was again in top position and apparently grabbed the cage while he threw a punch. The ref deducted a point. The round ended shortly after and the scores came back 29-29,27-29, and 27-29 for Curran, amidst a smattering of boos. Probably one of the worst desicions I've seen.

In my opinion I think Assuncao should be undefeated. Don't be surprised if we see a rematch between these to in the WEC soon.

Jim_Dangle
12/22/08 11:39:22AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Good news for Rafael, bad news for the FW division. Rafael was a dominant LW beating guys like Jorge Masvidal and Joe Lauzon. He's more like a top 5 FW in my opinion.

I actually was in Illinois a couple years back and there was an XFO event going on at the Sears Center. It was a great card with guys like Terry Martin, Nate Mohr, Jeff Curran, Donnie Liles,and Brian Gassaway and a few otyhers I don't remember.

Anyways Jeff Curran was fighting Rafael Assuncao at the event. Rafael was absolutely dominating Jeff on the feet and on the ground. On two occasions Rafael was in top position, stood up for a second over Jeff and the ref leaped in and stood them up. By the third round Rafael had learned his lesson and would dart right back to the ground before the ref could intervene.

I'm not sure if kicks to a grounded opponent weren't allowed or what, but at one point Curran was on the ground and Rafael stoof over him and kicked his leg. The ref jumped in and gave Assuncao a warning and stood them up again. I was beginning to wonder just what the hell was going on.

In the third round Rafael was again in top position and apparently grabbed the cage while he threw a punch. The ref deducted a point. The round ended shortly after and the scores came back 29-29,27-29, and 27-29 for Curran, amidst a smattering of boos. Probably one of the worst desicions I've seen.

In my opinion I think Assuncao should be undefeated. Don't be surprised if we see a rematch between these to in the WEC soon.

Curran also got a gift over Fabiano a month before the gift against Assuncao.