Franklin vs Wanderlei

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Franklin vs Wanderlei
prophecy033
6/24/12 12:57:03AM
Thought I'd open a thread so we could talk about the fights

I don't know about anyone else but i love it when Franklin and Wanderlei fight. These guys love to scrap and it was a nice change of pace from last nights main event. Franklin almost got knockedout in the 2nd but he help tough and weathered the storm. He controled it for the rest of the fight and won the UD. Love how both these guys fight
TeamDEY
6/24/12 1:04:26AM
Was really going for Wandy, but not disappointed to see Franklin get the win. Glad it went all 5 rounds. Good fight.
FastKnockout
6/24/12 1:09:57AM
I only caught the last round but I heard Franklin was saved by the bell in one of the early rounds.
sparky
6/24/12 1:10:17AM
Awesome scrap couldnt have asked for much more. Rich came real close in the 2nd rd to finding out why they call Wanderlei the ax murderer props to Rich for surviving that onslaught

Im excited to see what Franklin can do in the MW division now that it has some depth to it.

and I hope to see Wanderlei in the octagon again just not against VITOR, I dont like to see Wanderlei get knocked out cold
Pookie
6/24/12 1:10:19AM
I was screaming, shouting curse words of glee, and standing on my chair in front of the computer at the end of the second round.

That very easily could have been stopped.

I hope they keep matching Wanderlei up against technical strikers, where he can shine. Bisping v. Wanderlei 2
BlueSkiesBurn
6/24/12 1:16:54AM
Don't care about any of this shit, can someone please get me some video or a gif of Franklin exercising his junk? That was the greatest shit ever.
prophecy033
6/24/12 1:18:33AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Don't care about any of this shit, can someone please get me some video or a gif of Franklin exercising his junk? That was the greatest shit ever.

oh man that was some weird shit.
KungFuMaster
6/24/12 1:21:42AM
I have never been a fan of Wanderlei but nor am I a hater. I think it has to do a lot with Wanderlei's fights in Pride. He demolished one of my favorite fighters, Saku...and he demolished Rampage by devastating knees. I guess one can say I was a poor sport. However, all that changes tonight. Wanderlei has earned my respect as a fighter and as a person. I wish him the best.

Wanderlei is a true warrior. He goes into battle with the intent to fight and entertain the masses. Many fighters nowadays are trying to turn mma into point fighting karate and we should be grateful there are Wanderleis in this sport - because without them, I don't think many of us would watch mma.
prophecy033
6/24/12 1:26:45AM
I will agree with one thing KFM, guys like Rich and Wanderlei are becoming harder and harder to come by
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 1:27:04AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I only caught the last round but I heard Franklin was saved by the bell in one of the early rounds.

More like saved by Mario.

So close to that 11 pts.
KungFuMaster
6/24/12 1:36:31AM
I think Mario did the right thing tonight. This was a main event between two high profile fighters. As a referee, you have to take many things into consideration and ref each fight on a fight by fight basis. Have we seen fights stopped before in similar situations? Yes. Should that be the standard? No. Each fight deserves its own fresh hearing - so to speak.

I am so glad the fight was not stopped. Mario used his good judgment and let the warriors decide for themselves "Who was the better fighter."

Mario should receive a bonus.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/24/12 1:36:42AM
FUCK YES!

Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 1:40:28AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I think Mario did the right thing tonight. This was a main event between two high profile fighters. As a referee, you have to take many things into consideration and ref each fight on a fight by fight basis. Have we seen fights stopped before in similar situations? Yes. Should that be the standard? No. Each fight deserves its own fresh hearing - so to speak.

I am so glad the fight was not stopped. Mario used his good judgment and let the warriors decide for themselves "Who was the better fighter."

Just b/c it's a main event if should be reffed differently? Pretty unfair to the other fighters who are working their way up.

Mario usually lets it continue more than other refs.
KungFuMaster
6/24/12 1:46:11AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by KungFuMaster

Just b/c it's a main event if should be reffed differently? Pretty unfair to the other fighters who are working their way up.

Mario usually lets it continue more than other refs.

I did say this was a high profile main event but don't let that sway you into disagreeing with my real point which is "Each fight should be handled and refereed on a fight by fight basis."
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 1:50:41AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I did say this was a high profile main event but don't let that sway you into disagreeing with my real point which is "Each fight should be handled and refereed on a fight by fight basis."

Yes, but there also needs to be some standard or whatever, I don't know how to put it.
KungFuMaster
6/24/12 2:03:34AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Yes, but there also needs to be some standard or whatever, I don't know how to put it.

Yes, there are standards and we have seen them being implemented over and over again - BUT there should also be flexibility within those standards to reflect the differences in resilience and capabilities of the many and different fighters out there.

I think we're on the same page - maybe not for this particular fight but in refereeing in general.
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 2:10:51AM
But I don't think all the ref's have the same standards when it comes to situations like that.

Like some people thought the CJ Keith fight was stopped early and well if Mario was working that fight, he would probably have let it go on longer like he has been known to to do and who knows maybe CJ gets out of that position or survives.
KungFuMaster
6/24/12 2:26:12AM

But I don't think all the ref's have the same standards when it comes to situations like that.

Like some people thought the CJ Keith fight was stopped early and well if Mario was working that fight, he would probably have let it go on longer like he has been known to to do and who knows maybe CJ gets out of that position or survives.

That is the beauty of the human element which can sometimes be a good thing and a bad thing. I personally don't mind every referee being different or having their own standards. That's just me. I'll whine when it doesn't go my way but I'll get over it.

Grappler will tell you he would recommend Android Data to do all the officiating.
tmas
6/24/12 2:52:43AM

i expect this to be some avatars...
infestructure
6/24/12 3:34:57AM
Wanderlei's hands looks slower than they've ever been, and he is more afraid to get hit. Belfort would have demolished him, and I think its time for him to bow out.

He does not want to do a Liddell
Tripp_2
6/24/12 10:11:30AM
Wand is a true warrior in every sense of the word.I see him going out similar to liddell on his sword.

He is a little slower due to age and multiple wars.But he can still blitz for at least one round,just was unlucky that that fight wasnt stopped in the secound.

I am a wand fan but I did pick Rich to win. I also would still like to see belfort and wand fight. I see Belfort winning as he somehow seems to be getting better with age.
prozacnation1978
6/24/12 10:19:25AM
Went 12-5 last night
Unofficially went 16-6 with Brazil prelims
Let's not ever combine cards again.
Fight was good. Prelims were good.

Best highlight of the night was watching a 5 year old kid do a flying knee and landing it on a 13 year old kid in front of me giving him a bloody nose

My pick for fight of the night
Budgellism
6/24/12 10:38:17AM
I agree about the combo card. That's why I didn't want it in the first place. Would have went perfect on the prelims with a few 11s. Oh well. It was nice just watching the fights and not having a bias because of how I picked.
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 10:51:13AM
I'm out of #1 spot, b/c of some late changes that almost worked, but didn't. Only 5 pts behind though.

Kind of MMA'd out now. A small break before the next event, 2 weeks.