Franklin Signs New UFC Deal, Possibly His Last

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Franklin Signs New UFC Deal, Possibly His Last
DCRage
7/22/09 9:39:12AM
Rich Franklin may be playing his final "Ace" card in MMA. He recently signed a new 6-fight deal with the promotion, but also said that, depending on "the pace of the fights", it could be his final UFC deal as he mentioned possible retirement when it's done.

Article
finnish_line
7/22/09 1:55:26PM

I hope we see him face Luis Cane, Rampage, Forrest, Rashad and a rematch with Lyoto (in addition to his second Hendo bout) as his last six fights.

Then a coming out of retirement fight a couple years later.
Twenty20Dollars
7/22/09 2:25:59PM
If rich is thinking about retiring then this rematch with hendo shouldnt happen even more now.
KaibaThedon
7/22/09 2:57:35PM
Can't be wasting one of his six fights on a fight that basically nobody wants to see...

And its not that they don't want to see it because it won't be entertaining (cuz it will be)... they don't want to see it because the two are in two different weight classes and heading in two seperate directions...

Situation 1: Hendo wins the rematch, does nothing but vault him up the P4P rankings, but doesn't technically get him any closer to Anderson Silva, though it probably earns him a title shot. Franklin loss probably means he fights the loser of Jardine/Silva or the loser of Vera/Soszynski (even though these 2 aren't even in the top 10)

Situation 2: Hendo loses the rematch, does nothing to his position in the MW division, which is where he wants to be, cuz he wants another crack at the belt... Franklin goes up in ranking in LHW division, but will need at least one (or two) more fight(s) before people talk about a title shot. Gets a fight with either Luiz Cane that everyone wanted to see ANYWAYS, or a fight with the winner of Jardine/Silva.

Mayhem13
7/22/09 3:07:16PM
I like watching Rich fight, and don't really wanna see him retire...but after another 6 fights, I guess he would of had a solid and full career.

Hopefully we can see some good matchups to finish up with. Including Shogun, Vera and Wanderlei (again)
MisterFreeze
7/22/09 5:34:08PM

Posted by finnish_line

I hope we see him face Luis Cane, Rampage, Forrest, Rashad and a rematch with Lyoto (in addition to his second Hendo bout) as his last six fights.

Then a coming out of retirement fight a couple years later.

LOL I think it's funny that you're planning a coming out of retirement fight for Rich!
finnish_line
7/23/09 1:35:18PM

Hey, it always happens.
MisterFreeze
7/23/09 4:51:55PM

Posted by finnish_line

Hey, it always happens.

Oh I know. I just found it humorous the way you threw it in there.