Franklin vs. Machida 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Franklin vs. Machida 2
Taylor8766
9/10/08 1:09:13PM
Why not, have these two guys fight for the #1 contendership, Machida deserves a shot just as much as anyone, and IMO Rich is right up there he picked apart Hammill with relative ease, and the only fighter that has given him trouble is Anderson, and IMO deserves a shot at the LHW crown if he beats Machida theres no denying it.
nickcuc547
9/10/08 1:25:57PM
Rich, #1 contender and lightheavyweight have no business being mentioned in the same sentence. A win over matt hammil doesn't even put you in the top 15 nevertheless in line for a title shot. Rich is fighting in the most stacked division in the ufc, and he needs to reel off at least 2 or 3 more wins against top flight contenders to even be in the question.
wiggum
9/10/08 2:36:48PM
i agree that rich franklin has no business being considered a #1 contender right now, if he rattles off a couple more wins against top flight competition, then yes, but right now, no...hammill isnt that big of a win, it was just a measuring stick on were he sits in that division......that being said tho, i would like to see a rematch with machida....i think from a fan standpoint it would be a good fight, theyre first one was very entertaining....i dont think the outcome would change, but if it did, then i see it propelling franklin into contendership, but not #1
ocho-cinco
9/10/08 3:17:04PM
I see where your coming from, but I don't think it's 100% accurate. If Franklin were to win that would be huge, but I still think he would need AT LEAST one more big time win to get a title shot. There are alot of guys who have been paying dues for a long time, that can make a case for a title shot in that stacked division. If Machida wins, that wouldn't really prove anything we didn't already no about him. He needs a test against a guy ranked higher in the division then Rich. I wouldn't mind seeing this fight, but I think at this point there are better fights out there for both guys.
holt8081
9/10/08 3:34:27PM
ya rich is not ready yet
whardin19
9/10/08 3:48:38PM
Although a Franklin vs. Machida 2 match would be great. I don't see it happening right now. Franklin just moved to LHW and he needs at least one more fight before at that weight before he fights someone the caliber of Machida. Although knowing Franklin and how much of a warrior he is. I could see him facing a top 10 LHW in his next fight.
prozacnation1978
9/10/08 8:44:11PM
this fight might just happen, if machida doesn't fight silva
slapshot
9/10/08 9:09:29PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Rich, #1 contender and lightheavyweight have no business being mentioned in the same sentence. A win over matt hammil doesn't even put you in the top 15 nevertheless in line for a title shot. Rich is fighting in the most stacked division in the ufc, and he needs to reel off at least 2 or 3 more wins against top flight contenders to even be in the question.

I think you underestimate Hammil and where he sits as a LHW fighter (with something like 30 fighters? in the LHW division don't try and say Hammils not top 15) beating hammil might not get you in the top ten, but just being RICH FRANKLIN will and rightfully so.

He dose sit low in the top ten and I just cant see him as one of the top five LHW's and I struggle to see how he can even bust into the top five spots but then who knows....
cj_striker
9/11/08 12:08:39AM
Rich is my favorite fighter and has been since the first time I have seen him fight. But I do agree with what pretty much everyone is saying that Franklin hasn't done enough in the division to be a #1 contender just yet. But as someone above stated, just the fact that it's Rich Franklin (and he's done so much in the MW division) he may move into that #1 contender spot sooner than some other LHW. I feel Franklin vs. Machida would be awesome, because Rich isn't the same fighter he was when they fought the first time, with that said I'm sure Machida isn't either. But I see the outcome of a rematch between the two ending much differently than the first time. If Rich can beat two more top contenders, I see him possibly getting a shot. Maybe like W. Silva, Machida, or Evans after he loses his title shot. Even someone like Jardine or Thiago would boost him high up the ranks. All I know is a Forest vs. Franklin fight would be f**king awesome.
punkstrings
9/15/08 5:15:53PM
205 is too stacked right now to give Franklin the shot if he were to fight and beat machida.

The only way I see Franklin deserving a shot is by replacing Thiago Silva in the october card, since this is only 6 weeks from his last fight, this would be a reward for saving the card, though this is still a stretch for me.

With a potential matchup of Wandy and Rampage....it is not likely. Wandy or Rampage would be more deserving, i think Rampage deserves a rematch against Forrest if Forrest can retain the title against Rashad.
breakdown5
9/15/08 5:32:17PM
I'd like to see this fight, but not for number one contender. Machida would beat Franklin if they fought again anyway. I think that Machida should get a shot before this fight is even mentioned. Franklin needs to establish himself at the weight class before he gets thrown to the top dogs in the division.
prozacnation1978
9/15/08 6:00:22PM
machida has some choices fight shogun, silva or franklin

dec does havesome matchups shogun vs coleman, bonner, franklin, machida

chickmagnet
9/15/08 7:42:44PM
Machida would KO Franklin again accept probably in the first, Machida has improved greatly since the first fight and Franklin has more or less stayed the same.

WAR Machida!!
JimiMak
9/15/08 11:41:04PM
anyone Machida fights it should be for a title shot. Franklin doesn't deserve the match. It would look the same as before anyway, or maybe worse for Rich.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/16/08 12:28:43AM
franklin already said he wasnt havin good luck with the south paws from chute box. Machida would win a UD or KO him. If rich can win 3/4 more fights against top opponents by then machida will have the belt and they can hype a rematch.