Franklin/Henderson Fightmetric.com Stats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Franklin/Henderson Fightmetric.com Stats
ncordless
1/19/09 1:30:40PM
Here are the fightmetric stats.

fightmetric.com
bojangalz
1/19/09 1:59:27PM
That's very interesting. By the numbers, it was every bit as close as the split decision suggests. When I initially watched the fight I had Hendo 29-28. I thought it was a pretty easy call. After watching the fight a second time I realized how close this actually was.

I still think they got the right winner, but I'll probably be baffled forever at how the one judge came to a 30-27 decision for Ace. When you have a fight this close you'll always get pretty strong arguments for both sides of coin. At some point you just ahve to take it for what it is: a damn good fight between two cagey veterans. It was a fight years in the making and I'm just glad it finally happened.

In the end, Henderson's win is probably better for the grand sceme of things anyway.
FlashyG
1/19/09 2:09:35PM
looking at the round by round stats you can see where the controversy has come from.

It also shows how good a job 2 of the judges did scoring the fight

In rd 1 not only did Hendo Outstrike Franklin 21-10 he was also 2 for 2 in takedowns and passed Franklins guard.

In the 2nd he again won the striking 14-8 had another takedown and passed again.

The 3rd was all Franklin in the striking 28-8 and he was able to prevent Hendo from passing when he got the takedown this time.

Much like a fighter stealing a round with a nice final 30 seconds I think in some peoples minds Hendo's first 2 rounds were forgotten when he was tooled in the 3rd.
casey64
1/19/09 2:52:07PM
Thats a cool website.
haggiswashere
1/19/09 3:13:22PM

Posted by FlashyG

looking at the round by round stats you can see where the controversy has come from.

It also shows how good a job 2 of the judges did scoring the fight

In rd 1 not only did Hendo Outstrike Franklin 21-10 he was also 2 for 2 in takedowns and passed Franklins guard.

In the 2nd he again won the striking 14-8 had another takedown and passed again.

The 3rd was all Franklin in the striking 28-8 and he was able to prevent Hendo from passing when he got the takedown this time.

Much like a fighter stealing a round with a nice final 30 seconds I think in some peoples minds Hendo's first 2 rounds were forgotten when he was tooled in the 3rd.

look at the striking distance and clinch striking and rich won those two but hendo only won striking on the ground. Rich was out striking him on the feet
FlashyG
1/20/09 8:51:20AM
I was using the total striking numbers which show Franklin with a slight edge overall but that doesn't matter as fights aren't scored on the whole, the only thing that matters is round by round.

Yes Franklin won the overall stand-up battle but he did it all in the 3rd round, Hendo actually outstruck him slightly in the first 2 only to be blown out in the 3rd.

Much Like Penn/St Pierre 1, where Penn won the first round by a mile and did all his damage early, only to be outwrestled for the rest of the fight on his way to a decision loss.

copcopps
1/20/09 9:45:01AM

Posted by casey64

Thats a cool website.

I'm so favoriting this site
Ulfhethnar6
1/20/09 11:49:38AM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by casey64

Thats a cool website.

Same here, thanks for the notice.

Henderson really doesn't like body shots.
Aether
1/20/09 3:00:51PM
surprised it's as close as that, I thought Henderson pretty clearly won the first, the second was close but I thought it was still obviously hendo's round and then rich picked it up in the third, too little too late.

The stats basically support that analysis but it's a little closer than I would have thought in the second round. I'll have to rewatch it at some point to decide.
ncordless
1/21/09 1:14:13AM

Posted by Ulfhethnar6

Posted by copcopps

Posted by casey64

Thats a cool website.

Same here, thanks for the notice.

Henderson really doesn't like body shots.

Yeah.. fightmetric is pretty much the ultimate in mma fanboy geekdom... and also very informative. Based on the stats in the second you can definitely see how close it was. That second round is so hard to judge because Rich did more damage but Hendo clearly controlled the octagon and was able to ride Rich for most of the round.

I think these stats show that it should not have been a 30-27 fight for either fighter and that a judge could justifiably score the fight for either Rich or Hendo.