Why would Franklin follow silva to 205?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why would Franklin follow silva to 205?
tommyprairie
7/3/08 7:20:45PM
It seems like with Silva out of the middleweight picture Franklin would regain some attention in the division again till silva comes back.
Twenty20Dollars
7/3/08 7:45:27PM
because rich wants to face silva at 205 and beat him there but not at 185, haha.
aaa9erh8er
7/3/08 8:25:41PM
i could see him thinking that but i highly doubt that at this point in time no matter what weight class its at anderson has richs number.
holt8081
7/3/08 9:13:27PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

i could see him thinking that but i highly doubt that at this point in time no matter what weight class its at anderson has richs number.

Maybe he is hoping that the 20 extra pounds will slow him down enough to finally land a shot.
RNC
7/3/08 10:28:58PM
Because he's way too big to make 170, that's why.

Franklin's basically done all that he can at 185. Sure, theres some fights left for him there, but if he did make his way up to a title shot, the outcomes just going to be the same as the last two times he fought silva.

Fighting silva at 205 is not going to happen unless silva holds the HW title. By going to 205, Franklin has a shot at the title again.
ChokeUout
7/3/08 10:48:06PM

Posted by tommyprairie

It seems like with Silva out of the middleweight picture Franklin would regain some attention in the division again till silva comes back.

Silva isn't out of the middleweight picture, he's the champ. He's gonna defend his belt still, just gonna work his way up at LHW as well. Plus, what's left for Franklin to accomplish at MW? He's held the belt and defended it twice, but Anderson Silva is just a terrible match up for him. So yeah, why not test the 205 pound division out?
nickcuc547
7/3/08 10:57:17PM
rich has accomplished all he can at 185, and there are more interesting fights for him at light heavy.
EON
7/4/08 1:40:55AM
This is interesting, he might think he has a better chance at LH than Silva, or that theres more interesting fights at LH, too bad since the MW division isnt the best. Idk I think Hamill will beat Rich.
Pitbull09
7/4/08 2:23:45AM
If you think about it, I think Franklin has one more good fight at 185 with Henderson but I guess that isn;t happening.

Franklin has no choice but to go to 205. He can't accomplish anything in 185 and he can;t drop to 170. I really don't think he knew Silva was going up to 205 but I really dont see it as a problem.

Look at the LHW division. The title was really important during Chuck's title reign but if you ask me now, I think the title isn;t what is making the division so exciting. Think about one of the biggest fights last year. Liddell/Wanderlei. It didnt take a title for that fight to be huge and even though Wanderlei lost, to me, it was a big fight for him to be in.

Franklin is going into a division where he will be surrounded with exciting matchups that will increase his fan base even if he loses some. I'm sure he is looking to try to get a fight with Liddell, Wanderlei, Forrest, Machida (Rematch), Rampage (with or without belt), ect. to further to his career accomplishments.

To sum it up. The middleweight division is weak and the title is 10 x more important there then in the LHW division. Franklin is making a good move and has enough match ups to not have to run into Anderson for a long time
chickmagnet
7/4/08 6:27:11PM
Franklin will have way more success at 185. If Anderson decides to stay at 205 then Franklin will have a great chance to be the champ at MW. There is just too many big hard hitters that i dot think Franklin could deal with. Imagine Rampage vs. Franklin or Wandy vs. Franklin. Not very good style matchups for Franklin.
Franklinfan47
7/5/08 10:26:04AM
To be honest, I dont think Franklin was thinking of Anderson at all when he moved up to 205. I think he just wanted to test the waters there and see how he matched up against fighters in the stacked division such as Wandy, Liddell, etc. I'm not complaining, the only fight I wanted to see him in at 185 anymore was Hendo. Anderson doesnt factor into the equation at all.
NinjaCyborg
7/5/08 12:45:32PM

Posted by tommyprairie

Silva is not leaving Middleweight!!!
He's going to continue to maintain his Middleweight title.
Anderson said he wanted to fight 5-6 times a year.
He'll be fighting in both.
Pitbull09
7/5/08 12:51:32PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by tommyprairie

Silva is not leaving Middleweight!!!
He's going to continue to maintain his Middleweight title.
Anderson said he wanted to fight 5-6 times a year.
He'll be fighting in both.

Wow 5-6 times? Thats less than 3 months per fight then. I doubt Dana will be able to find him that many contenders at middleweight so I bet most of his fights will be heading towards the LHW title
mrkennedy
7/5/08 1:40:43PM
I THINK rich take this decison after beating lutter