Frankie Edgar wants overtimes in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frankie Edgar wants overtimes in MMA
emfleek
3/7/11 10:55:23AM
In this past week's new edition of HDNet's "Inside MMA," MMA legend and show host Bas Rutten addressed a viewer's email that suggested an overtime round be instituted to resolve draws in high-profile bouts such as title contests and No. 1 contender affairs.

"They do it at K-1 in Japan, and I love that idea," Rutten said. "Actually, 'The Ultimate Fighter' does it, too. You fight to a draw, boom, the last [round], whoever wins that wins."

Edgar, who survived a first-round beatdown against Maynard to battle make to a split draw at UFC 125, was a guest on the new edition of "Inside MMA" and also supported the idea.

"I think another five-minute round would be perfect," Edgar said. "You go into a fight, you prepare, and you want a decisive outcome. To have to wait another three months and possibly another fight is kind of annoying. I would say another round would be great. You get to figure out who's the winner right then and there.

LINK
State_Champ
3/7/11 11:11:37AM
"They do it at K-1 in Japan, and I love that idea," Rutten said. "Actually, 'The Ultimate Fighter' does it, too. You fight to a draw, boom, the last [round], whoever wins that wins."

I would be interested in an OT round.
It sounds like a decent idea...
BeeR
3/7/11 11:19:53AM
punch for punch OT, flip a coin to see who goes first.
icantthinkofanything
3/7/11 11:42:21AM
I agree with Edgar
also i I think draws go against the whole point of the fight

and are bad for any sport
and I think Edgar won the 3rd round, and would have won the fight, unless it was scored 10-7

Franky would have won rd 6,
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
quezocrema0032
3/7/11 12:37:39PM
I like the idea for title fights and main events, Don't want to see prelims that are ruled a draw go to ot. With our horrible judges we would end up seeing a lot of ot's and I don't want it to lose its luster to early
babalu46
3/7/11 1:08:30PM
Yeah this sounds like a great idea if it's handled properly and not just for every fight. The truth is bad decisions can and do happen anywhere on a card but only the high profile fights get the attention so lets pin this idea to that just for now and see how it works.
RearNakedJoke
3/7/11 1:10:11PM

Posted by BeeR

roshambo round.
postman
3/7/11 1:32:11PM
Then someone gets jobed by a bad dec and they would have prefered a draw. There is nothing wrong with draws sometime you just don't have a winner.
The_Metal_Maniac
3/7/11 1:46:26PM
There's nothing worse than hearing the fight ended in a draw. OT is definitely a good idea.
GSPCanada
3/7/11 2:03:18PM
This does sound like a good idea. I don't know why everyone is talking about bad judging for. a bad dec is a bad dec doesn't matter if there is 3 rounds or 30. let them fight for another round if needed I'm sure the fighters would prefer that too

the only problem I have with this is I think the athletic commission needs to approve, and the athletic commissions are terrible, they don't believe in any kind of change
gartface
3/7/11 2:04:12PM

Posted by postman

Then someone gets jobed by a bad dec and they would have prefered a draw. There is nothing wrong with draws sometime you just don't have a winner.

State_Champ
3/7/11 2:13:54PM

Posted by postman

Fighters would rather have a draw? Really?

EDIT: I'd really like to hear some other fighters' opinions on this matter
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/7/11 2:24:07PM
I'm a fan of this train of thought. I myself on several occasions have had that same discussion with friends of mine. OT in MMA FTW
Boo_Radley21
3/7/11 3:44:28PM
I love the idea of an overtime round. Why doesn't this exist already? Do that and then we don't have anything like Edgar - Maynard or Fitch Penn where top ranked guys draw and it leaves the division in shambles.
AchillesHeel
3/7/11 4:13:30PM

Posted by BeeR

Yeah, like a penalty-kick shootout in soccer.
pmoney
3/7/11 5:30:17PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I love the idea of an overtime round. Why doesn't this exist already? Do that and then we don't have anything like Edgar - Maynard or Fitch Penn where top ranked guys draw and it leaves the division in shambles.

There are so many reprecussions to having a draw, look at what happened to the Lightweight division with the Edgar-Maynard draw. That title was practically booked through the year for fights before the draw. The winner of Edgar-Maynard was to fight Pettis, and then while that fight was underway we could've had Guida or Guillard fight Siver or one of the other many top contenders....

Now the UFC-WEC unification bout is on hold, and, in my opinion, has lost some of it's luster simply due to the fact that should have been Pettis' first fight in the UFC. The division is on hold until Edgar-Maynard 3, and I hate it! I would love to see the belt defended at least 3-4 times a year.

Of course I do agree with some of the other sentiment floating around that you could get screwed on a decision in the OT round as easy as the regulation rounds, which is completely true.... It's a tough call. Let the fighters decide. Get the MMA Fighters Union going

This is why I love baseball! No time limits. No draws. Play ball until someone wins or forfeits.
postman
3/8/11 7:37:35AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by postman

Well if you were the clear winner in a fight but bad judging pushed you into a overtime round what makes you think that all of a sudden the judging is going to become just and the real winner of the fight is going to get their hands raised? Time and time agian people try to come up with better scoring systems and overtime rounds or 5 judges droping the top and bottom scores, the fact is if the people judging the fight can't see whats going on weather that be due to the fact they are not versed in the sport or being that close to the cage sucks, nothing we come up with is going to fix the problems of judging in mma. We need judges who are more informed on what they are viewing and we need monitors infront of these judges so they can clearly see what they are watching.

How many draws do we ever get in MMA? When was the last time you counted your scorecard and said I have this fight a draw? Edgar Maynard is the only fight I ever scored a draw. Not to mention what happens when you have two fighters not pushing the pace just a glorifyed sparring session, which by the way is when you get 10-10 rounds for the most part, now we have to watch them go 5 more min. All I ever hear anymore is how fighter A is boring what happens when fighter A takes up your free fight time or PPV dosn't get to put a prelim on cause time is up?
State_Champ
3/8/11 11:10:04AM

Posted by postman

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by postman

Well if you were the clear winner in a fight but bad judging pushed you into a overtime round what makes you think that all of a sudden the judging is going to become just and the real winner of the fight is going to get their hands raised? Time and time agian people try to come up with better scoring systems and overtime rounds or 5 judges droping the top and bottom scores, the fact is if the people judging the fight can't see whats going on weather that be due to the fact they are not versed in the sport or being that close to the cage sucks, nothing we come up with is going to fix the problems of judging in mma. We need judges who are more informed on what they are viewing and we need monitors infront of these judges so they can clearly see what they are watching.

How many draws do we ever get in MMA? When was the last time you counted your scorecard and said I have this fight a draw? Edgar Maynard is the only fight I ever scored a draw. Not to mention what happens when you have two fighters not pushing the pace just a glorifyed sparring session, which by the way is when you get 10-10 rounds for the most part, now we have to watch them go 5 more min. All I ever hear anymore is how fighter A is boring what happens when fighter A takes up your free fight time or PPV dosn't get to put a prelim on cause time is up?

I like this response.

But I still want OT just because I want to see more fighting, and I think that everyone knowing the OT round decides the fight would make for some entertaining scraps...
TS92turbo
3/11/11 12:14:54AM
Overtime? Heres some that would be fight finishing overtimes.

Shogun/Machida 1
Tito/Rashad
Fitch/Penn
Edgar/Maynard 2
Rampage/Machida
BJ/GSP 1

I would love to see these.