Is Frankie Edgar the most underrated champion in the UFC today?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Is Frankie Edgar the most underrated champion in the UFC today?
SmileR
3/10/11 6:35:58PM
"I honestly would have to say the most underrated, under-appreciated guy out there is Frankie Edgar. But that might have all changed after his last fight with Gray Maynard. We'll see next time he fights. I think Frankie Edgar is an incredible fighter. I think he's dangerous to everybody at 155-pounds, no matter how much bigger they are than him and even though he could fight at a weight class below (his), I think the kid's a beast."

Link
SmileR
3/10/11 6:54:13PM
I honestly don't think Edgar deserves the credit he gets right now.
Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is an awesome fighter and I know he's the best 155'er in the world until he loses, but he has only ever defended his belt once without controversy.

Until he either starts pulling off GSP style domination or at least winning like he did in the second BJ fight I don't think he deserves to be held in as high regard as the other champions in the UFC.

GSP, Silva, Shogun and Cain have all proven decisively that they deserve the ranking of number 1 in their weight classes.
Whereas people could put forward pretty good arguments for Maynard being the best in the world at 155.

quezocrema0032
3/10/11 7:51:12PM

Posted by SmileR

but he has only ever defended his belt once without controversy.

He has only defended twice, I don't think its fair to Frankie to hold other champions against him. If he is winning then that's all that matters we can't expect gsp type dominance from every one.
postman
3/10/11 8:02:18PM
I don't know Cruz seems to be written off now that Faber is a 35er.
tallica62
3/10/11 8:16:50PM
Maybe not underrated, but doesnt get the respect and recognition he deserves
SmileR
3/10/11 8:17:03PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by SmileR

but he has only ever defended his belt once without controversy.

He has only defended twice, I don't think its fair to Frankie to hold other champions against him. If he is winning then that's all that matters we can't expect gsp type dominance from every one.

I get what you're saying, but I honestly can't say he's as good as the other champions and hold him in the same regard.
He won the belt in a controversial fight, then defended it, then kept it in a draw.
That type of record doesn't scream best in the world or underrated champion.

Frankie is a tough and seriously skilled guy, especially when you consider he could drop a weight class and still not be that big at 145. But I don't think he's underrated at all. I think some of the criticism he gets is deserved.
FastKnockout
3/10/11 8:34:46PM
I don't think he receives the respect he deserves because BJ Penn left big shoes to fill.

Think of it this way.. If it would have been BJ Penn that was dominated the first round and came back and managed to scratch out a draw.. The whole world would be talking about how much heart Penn has, and that he has the heart of a true champion.. Edgar didn't receive that respect, which really irritates me.

In my opinion, it's not that Frankie Edgar isn't a great champion, it's that he's no BJ Penn. No matter if it's Kenny Florian, Jim Miller, Sean Sherk, or Anthony Pettis, they won't get the respect they deserve as a champion, because Penn left a mark on the division that will be hard to surpass.

prozacnation1978
3/10/11 9:12:06PM
Frankie may be the biggest underrated ever champ

I picked him to lose twice to penn
Once to maynard. And sherk as well

Come may I will be rooting the lil underdog to win !!
DeadHead988
3/10/11 10:01:20PM
IMO Edgar has got a ridiculous combination of heart and skill that is more than a match for anyone at lightweight, yet people don't seem to recognize it. Cruz also doesn't get a lot of credit, but I'm really not a big fan of him. On the other end of the spectrum you've got Shogun, who I would personally consider the most overrated champion. He's a great fighter, but he gets too much credit when you consider the fact that he's only ever looked dominant against Lyoto. His only other fights were a loss to Forrest, a lackluster performance against Coleman, and a ko against an aging chuck. On top of that he's never defended his belt. I don't mean to sound like I'm hating on Shogun, but I feel that p4p Edgar is better and nobody recognizes it.
Budgellism
3/10/11 10:19:40PM
I personally think that's true. No matter what Frankie gets overlooked. First when he got the shot, "He doesn't deserve it", "Penn will destroy him", etc. Then he beats BJ and people go on about how it was a poor decision and that he would get beat in the rematch quite easily (In fact, I was one of the people that thought he would lose to BJ in the rematch 100%, until I saw him walk out to the cage, then I switched my pick to Edgar by decision, believe it if you want) and then he beats him. Decisively. Then people say Maynard is too big and Edgar wouldn't be able to deal with him. Well besides that first round where Edgar proved something more important. His championship heart. And now although the lines are much closer and he's gaining a lot of respect I'm guessing the lines will be in favor of Maynard (fair enough).

Edgar is a great fighter. I'm very interested to see how long he can hold onto that belt.
Cooler
3/11/11 2:55:16AM
The real answer is Shogun. He's a 2:1 underdog against Jones who hasnt beaten a legit top 10 yet...
tallica62
3/11/11 9:01:58AM
he doesnt finish people...so I think that effects how he is viewed...doesnt devastate people and rule with an iron fist
finnish_line
3/11/11 9:07:01AM

Posted by Cooler

The real answer is Shogun. He's a 2:1 underdog against Jones who hasnt beaten a legit top 10 yet...

I think most of that is to encourage betting.

AchillesHeel
3/11/11 9:35:31AM
GSP and Anderson Silva set an unfair standard, and are clearly "la creme de la creme." I think Edgar compares favorably with Cain Velasquez, with the monkey-wrench in the gears that is Gray Maynard. However, I don't think Edgar should be penalized for being in a deeper division than Velasquez. Quite the opposite, really, and the fact of the matter is that Gray Maynard could not defeat Edgar in their rematch.

Currently, I would rate Edgar a little ahead of Shogun and a little behind Velasquez. I think Velasquez and Shogun get a bit more love than they've earned in the cage, and Edgar gets a bit less.

As for "most underrated", I think Dominick Cruz is a contender for that title, along with Edgar.