Frankie Edgar Says Going for Featherweight Title "Interesting Possibility"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frankie Edgar Says Going for Featherweight Title "Interesting Possibility"
Kpro
10/3/11 11:29:59PM
Edgar almost suffered a knockout loss against Maynard to begin 2011 at UFC 125. Edgar rallied back from what seemed like a definite loss and somehow salvaged a draw to retain his belt for a little while longer.

"I'm winning, man," Edgar said. "I'm very confident, especially after that last fight. I think my confidence keeps building from fight to fight. Obviously from B.J. [Penn] to the next B.J. fight. With Gray I know I had a pretty bad first round, but showing what I showed—which I didn't realize right away until I went home and saw it—in character, it gave me a lot of confidence."

After almost suffering a loss and being beaten the first time around by Maynard, Edgar wants to go home early come his title fight at UFC 136.

"That's my goal. I know I get a lot of flack for not [finishing]. I think it has to do with sometimes I am the smaller guy. But I always go into fights looking for it," Edgar said. "If I could stun a guy, I'm going to try and finish him. And if I can stun him and get him on the ground, I'm going to try and finish him there."

If Edgar were to defend his belt against Maynard and a few times after that, would a drop to featherweight be a good idea?
"That's something that a lot of my teammates talk about and stuff, and my coaches," said Edgar. "Things got to work out the right way, but I think it's definitely an interesting possibility, and an intriguing one."

LINK
Kpro
10/3/11 11:32:24PM
I think Aldo moving up to 155 to try to hold dual titles would happen sooner than Edgar dropping to 145 to try to hold dual titles. That is, if they're both still champs after the weekend.
DeadHead988
10/3/11 11:54:04PM
I may be in the minority, but I think Edgar would absolutely destroy Aldo and I'd be willing to put a fair amount of money on it.
Twenty20Dollars
10/3/11 11:55:01PM
Aldo and Edgar could just swap titles.
sparky
10/4/11 12:54:21AM

Posted by DeadHead988

I may be in the minority, but I think Edgar would absolutely destroy Aldo and I'd be willing to put a fair amount of money on it.

I agree
hashyandy4
10/4/11 1:00:32AM
I would luv 4 frankie to go down, but i honestly dont see it happening. As far as Frankie vs Aldo, i would actually lean towards Jose
Kpro
10/4/11 1:13:42AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Since a 1 pound overage on title fights is not allowed, I wonder if an AC (or the UFC?) would allow both titles to be on the line if they fought at 145 even though LW is 146-155. Not that it would happen, I just wonder if something like that could be approved by whoever would make the decision making it a chance for both to dual wield titles. I don't know a source to find an answer to that question.
pmoney
10/4/11 1:35:53AM

Posted by Kpro

I think Aldo moving up to 155 to try to hold dual titles would happen sooner than Edgar dropping to 145 to try to hold dual titles. That is, if they're both still champs after the weekend.

Exactly what I came here to say Kpro, I gotta spread the love. There is too much work for the Lightweight champion to move down. Even if Edgar does retain his title, he's been fighting two guys for two years. He'd have Guillard, Guida, Henderson, maybe Jim Miller again at some point... There is a long list of people itching to get at that belt.

Aldo, like Dominick Cruz, has been playing clean up lately, and his to do list has been getting shorter even with the move to the UFC. Unless Edgar and Aldo both lose this weekend, I think a move up for Aldo would come first. If they did both lose, I think Aldo stays put and Frankie makes the drop.
jae_1833
10/4/11 2:02:11AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I agree.....I think it would have to be a complex two year arangement though since the UFC refuses to do tournaments. However I think that Along could be a LW champ and have always though that Edgar would be much more dominant at FW.
kingsmasher
10/4/11 10:41:56AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Im in teh minority too...Edgar has the best standup boxing and movement and Aldo aint seen that...Aldo will lose soon enough if he stays at 145...Hes having a real tough time cutting weight there...Thats why he looked bad in teh last fight in Rd 4 and 5...A guy Like frankie would have ended that fight...At 155 a lot of fighters will take Aldo down...
kingsmasher
10/4/11 10:47:59AM
I think the size difference of Edgar and Aldo would favor Edgar like Maynard and Edgar favors maynard...

Personally I think Melvin Guillard would whip Aldo so bad at 155 it wouldnt be funny....Melvin will be champ and I think he should get the next title shot after he crushes Lauzon...
fonduktoe
10/4/11 11:04:40AM

Posted by kingsmasher

I think the size difference of Edgar and Aldo would favor Edgar like Maynard and Edgar favors maynard...

Personally I think Melvin Guillard would whip Aldo so bad at 155 it wouldnt be funny....Melvin will be champ and I think he should get the next title shot after he crushes Lauzon...

if guillard does indeed crush lauzon than yes he should get the next shot. guillard's ground game is suspect though and lauzon has some of the most aggressive jits in the lw division. i love guillard but i think this is a bad match-up for him.
prozacnation1978
10/4/11 11:36:57AM
Edgar deserves a instant title shot.
KungFuMaster
10/4/11 11:44:50AM
Edgar is a small LW but I don't know if moving down would be an advantage. I think his style matches up well with the bigger LWs. Going down will introduce him to fighters who may be just as fast as he is and that could pose a problem.
ghandikush
10/4/11 11:59:36AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by DeadHead988

Im in teh minority too...Edgar has the best standup boxing and movement and Aldo aint seen that...Aldo will lose soon enough if he stays at 145...Hes having a real tough time cutting weight there...Thats why he looked bad in teh last fight in Rd 4 and 5...A guy Like frankie would have ended that fight...At 155 a lot of fighters will take Aldo down...

Been a nuthigger of Edgar long before be beat Sherk, but it makes no difference. Frankies chin isnt great and he doesnt have finishing power or a great offensive ground game. His boxing technique is fantastic but it doesnt matter because he has such a small reach to use it.

He can beat Maynard, yes, but Aldo should kill him in every way imaginable.
kingsmasher
10/4/11 12:59:07PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by DeadHead988

Been a nuthigger of Edgar long before be beat Sherk, but it makes no difference. Frankies chin isnt great and he doesnt have finishing power or a great offensive ground game. His boxing technique is fantastic but it doesnt matter because he has such a small reach to use it.

Well I imagine Frankie taking Aldo to the ground and GNP his skinny self...I dont think thats so unimaginable..
ghandikush
10/4/11 3:40:09PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by DeadHead988

Well I imagine Frankie taking Aldo to the ground and GNP his skinny self...I dont think thats so unimaginable..

Okay so he' going to survive 5 rounds of doing that to Aldo? His gnp is harmless on a Nick Diaz level and his offensive subs arent great. Aldo will not get subbed and will not lose a standup fight so Frankie better be ready.
Kpro
10/4/11 3:49:22PM
If it was at 145 and Edgar had had a tuneup fight at that weight (as Florian did) I could see Edgar beating Aldo. Aldo already has a "walk around weight" higher than Edgar and he's the champ of a division 10 pounds lower. For the first time in UFC history, the cut would actually be harder for the fighter with the lower weight class belt than the guy with the belt at the higher weight class. Wrap your mind around that
sbulldavid
10/4/11 8:43:15PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I think Guillard would destroy Aldo at 155 as well, terrible match for Aldo.
ghandikush
10/4/11 9:52:43PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by kingsmasher

I think Guillard would destroy Aldo at 155 as well, terrible match for Aldo.

Youre forgetting that Aldo is actually a good striker. Nate Diaz put Guillard out while swinging wildly.
Pookie
10/4/11 11:48:17PM

Posted by ghandikush
His boxing technique is fantastic but it doesnt matter because he has such a small reach to use it.

Edgar has a 72" reach. Which believe it or not, is larger than every single opponent he's ever fought. And for 5'6", a 72" reach is larger, relative to his size, than Georges St. Pierre's reach.

To say he has "such a small reach" is so far from the truth it's absurd.
Jride
10/5/11 7:24:24PM
Aldo will move up before Edgar moves down.

I watched the weight cutting video of Aldo prior to 129 and it was brutal man, don't know how much longer that kid can make featherweight.