Spencer Fisher
Hermes Franca
Sean Sherk
Matt Veach
B.J. Penn x2
*Gray Maynard

*'s mean Current Top 10 LW as of 10/12/11

These are his current Challengers

Gilbert melendez (Strikeforce LW Champion) - #2 LW Sherdog Rankings.
Jose Aldo (UFC Featherweight Champion) #5 P4P Top 10 (Frankie is 4)
Benson Henderson #6 LW Sherdog Rankings
Jim Miller
Clay Guida
Donald Cerrone

Who Should He fight next? I would even like to see Edagar vs Cruz catweight at 145;bs.
Chael_Sonnen
10/24/11 11:05:24PM
Bendo would smash Jersey Shore......fist pump!
Twenty20Dollars
10/24/11 11:08:06PM
I haven't really been a fan of Guida, but I'm thinking that would be a good match up with Edgar.

I will say Guida/Bendo winner will face Edgar next.
sbulldavid
10/24/11 11:40:13PM
Frankie hasn't fought the more diversified fighters yet, he's just a match-up problem for guys that are trying to knock him out, I think he's the most likely champ to fall in the next year, great run but it ends this coming year.
fonduktoe
10/25/11 1:14:02AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Frankie hasn't fought the more diversified fighters yet, he's just a match-up problem for guys that are trying to knock him out, I think he's the most likely champ to fall in the next year, great run but it ends this coming year.

i agree...he's got a good skill set but i think when he's up against someone who can match his speed he'll be in trouble
tn_rebel
10/25/11 1:21:47AM
Guida
Aether
10/25/11 5:19:22AM
Frankie is tough for me to rate against other fighters because I think his biggest asset is sort of intangible, which is just heart and willpower. He's well rounded but not really amazing at any one thing, and mostly wins by scoring points with speed and agility while battling through situations that most other fighters wouldn't survive.

I think that he lost the first fight against Penn, and won the second, although not very impressively. Both of the Maynard title fights he showed that he can be outstruck by someone with just decent striking, as Maynard destroyed him in both first rounds until he gassed himself out.

I think that a lot of people are capable of beating him on paper, but his toughness and heart make it very difficult to say with real confidence who WOULD beat him. I'm thinking I would definitely pick Melendez and Aldo over him, probably not Cerrone, maybe Henderson or Guida, but I would have to think about those.
kingsmasher
10/25/11 10:58:09AM

Posted by Aether

Frankie is tough for me to rate against other fighters because I think his biggest asset is sort of intangible, which is just heart and willpower. He's well rounded but not really amazing at any one thing, and mostly wins by scoring points with speed and agility while battling through situations that most other fighters wouldn't survive.

I think that he lost the first fight against Penn, and won the second, although not very impressively. Both of the Maynard title fights he showed that he can be outstruck by someone with just decent striking, as Maynard destroyed him in both first rounds until he gassed himself out.

I think that a lot of people are capable of beating him on paper, but his toughness and heart make it very difficult to say with real confidence who WOULD beat him. I'm thinking I would definitely pick Melendez and Aldo over him, probably not Cerrone, maybe Henderson or Guida, but I would have to think about those.

Wiat a minute Frankie didnt beat Penn impressively in the second fight? what? he embarrassed him...Theres a reason you dont hear BJ talking title rematch and mad...

Also how many on this list would Penn beat...I will say overally Frankies boxing and takedown defense is enough to beat anyone on the LW list.....Who boxes better than Frankie...Boxing is called a science because when you dissect it people give off nuances to what they will do and how they will react...Thats why adjustments can be made by good boxers to avoids taking an uppercut like Frankie did...

Theres always haters when a guy is dominating....but like Dana White said and I do agree Frankie is gonna be here along time....

But MMA matchups are important...Thats where Frankie shines...matchup wise hes a bad match up for all these guys....Ben Henderson is weak on the feet...He beat Miller because Miller is not the greatest wrestler...Can Bendo take Frankie down? Not if Gray cant....and the problem is when you try to take Frankie down on the break up hes throwing punches...I think Maynard would beat Bendo and Guida from style matchups....Guidas worse fight matchup is against a guy like Maynard...

As much as Iike Guida lets be honest he benefited from going against guys with subpar wrestling....He barely won these fight by hanging on the backs...

Frankie is a bad matchup I will say right now for anyone who wants to stand with him...Bring anyone...Bring Aldo...I will be betting real money on that fight hoping people think Aldo wins cause I know in a gym he faces nobody with head movement and technique like Frankie...Not to mention Kenny had Aldo pressed against the fence for long periods....I dont give Aldo though a chance against a guy like Maynard.wrestlers at 155...If Maynard was Kenny Aldo is on his back....eating big punches...Aldo did well against kenny with takedown defense but that is Kenny Florian...hes no wrestler and has been beaten by all wrestlers...

I am thinking Aldo is the next GSP is gonna play it safe...Never finish...

Great thing time will tell...
kingsmasher
10/25/11 11:04:46AM

Posted by Aether

You must not like frankie and in no way was Gray gassed after the first round of the second fight did you see the post fight news confernce...

You are right about Frankies heart though...Im glad you pick Melendez and Aldo over frankie..>especially Aldo....Hes gonna get beat by a bunch of wrestlers....I think Mendes is gonna be all Aldo can handle...Like I said I think Aldo is gonna be the next boring fighter of the year...No finishes...
DoTheMMAth
10/25/11 2:51:40PM

Posted by Aleks_Smash

These are his current Challengers

Gilbert melendez (Strikeforce LW Champion) - #2 LW Sherdog Rankings.
Jose Aldo (UFC Featherweight Champion) #5 P4P Top 10 (Frankie is 4)
Benson Henderson #6 LW Sherdog Rankings
Jim Miller
Clay Guida
Donald Cerrone

Who Should He fight next? I would even like to see Edagar vs Cruz catweight at 145;bs.

I think that Melendez has the best chance at beating him from that list. I'd be shocked if he doesn't join the UFC roster after he beats Masvidal.

I just don't see Aldo being able to hang with Edgar for 5 rounds, even if he damages him early. Recent interviews have shown that he doesn't like the exhausting 145 cut and Frankie doesn't get tired period.

Jim Miller is almost a Jon Fitch of the LW division IMO - won't ever get the belt, doesn't have immense natural athletic gifts, but will beat most people getting near it.

Guida would go down on points from striking IMO. Frankie is as fast and slippery as they get - wrestling with huggy-bear Guida would be a draw and I don't see Guida out-pointing or KOing Frankie.

As exciting as Bendo and Cowboy are I still am not sold on them being top level competition. If either of them wins their upcoming fights I'll happily eat my words.

Eddie Alvarez would be a fun fight but I don't see him out-pointing or finishing Frankie.

I think Pettis striking would be a good matchup for him, but I think that even small Frankie could out-wrestle the over-hyped Pettis.

All just my opinions!
Aether
10/26/11 4:21:33AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Aether

You must not like frankie and in no way was Gray gassed after the first round of the second fight did you see the post fight news confernce...

You are right about Frankies heart though...Im glad you pick Melendez and Aldo over frankie..>especially Aldo....Hes gonna get beat by a bunch of wrestlers....I think Mendes is gonna be all Aldo can handle...Like I said I think Aldo is gonna be the next boring fighter of the year...No finishes...

right, I must not like him, solid arguments as usual. Gray didn't gas? He didn't punch himself out in both fights after a 10-8 first round where he badly outstruck the amazing boxing ability you're takling about. I don't really even know how to have a discussion with you, to be honest.
Pookie
10/26/11 5:47:34AM
Eddie Alvarez has a good style to fight him. He's about the only guy that can stand with him. Though i do think Alvarez would get beat by a Penn-like fighter.

Melendez's reach, scrambling and grappling proficiency should make Edgar work hard for everything considering he's the smaller fighter.

I think those two have the best chances.

Ben Henderson, Pffft.
40ouncetpkid
10/27/11 1:25:56AM
Bendo melendez and aldo have the best shots he schools everyone else.
gartface
10/27/11 9:08:32AM

Posted by sbulldavid

How would you describe BJ Penn's skill-set? I'm very curious.

Frankie Edgar keeps getting better and better, and people just keep dogging him more and more. I was a big Frankie hater until I saw an interview with him on the MMA Hour. He deserves a lot more respect than he's getting.

Gilbert Melendez - Great match-up. Gil maybe has the best ground and pound in the lightweight division. He's pretty well versed in everything, but I think that Frankie can dictate where this fight goes. If he keeps it on the feet for five rounds, he dominates.

Jose Aldo - Also a great match-up, and maybe the most threatening. I think the thing that separates Edgar from the competition that Aldo's faced is his ability to stick and move. His susceptibility to leg kicks would be far less than that of Urijah Faber. He could take Aldo down if he wanted and wear on him.

Benson Henderson - Bendo definitely arrived against Jim Miller. He's a big, fast, mean lightweight. Only problem with this match-up, is that he loves to do the majority of his work on the ground. Edgar isn't so easy to take down for a number of reasons. If he tries to clinch or close the distance, he's going to eat punches for five rounds.

Jim Miller - Repeat.

Clay Guida - Guida is maybe the only guy I can think that can match Edgar's heart and tenacity in the Octagon(in the lightweight division). He would keep moving forward and looking to shoot, but much like Henderson, he would just eat crisp blows for the majority of the match.

Donald Cerrone - This is very interesting, because I'm not sure, outside of Edgar, that I've seen a lightweight improve this much over the past year or so. Cerrone, since his last loss to Henderson, has looked nothing short of impressive. He's dangerous off his back, has diversified strikes, and has even shown a new found love for taking his opponent down. I can't wait see the Siver fight on Saturday, but as of right now, I'd say Edgar would take it due to his boxing and movement.