BJ vs Frankie commentary

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ vs Frankie commentary
warglory
8/29/10 12:50:26AM
Despite how well Frankie ended up doing, I think the first three rounds were pretty even with BJ landing quite a few punches himself, but the commentary from Goldie and Rogan made it seems like BJ was getting dominated which was not the case. This was the most biased commentary I have ever heard.
CanadianCripplr
8/29/10 12:52:55AM
i dont agree, I thought it was 3-0 after 3. Give bj toney. He might get a win....
MMA_Alex
8/29/10 12:54:32AM
Yeah, I completely disagree as well. BJ was getting some hard shots, but Frankie was getting much more volume and really just overwhelming him, especially when he was getting those takedowns.
BeeR
8/29/10 12:55:51AM

Posted by warglory

Despite how well Frankie ended up doing, I think the first three rounds were pretty even with BJ landing quite a few punches himself, but the commentary from Goldie and Rogan made it seems like BJ was getting dominated which was not the case. This was the most biased commentary I have ever heard.

give it a rest, BJ got worked.
jae_1833
8/29/10 1:00:07AM
We were screaming for leg kicks and take downs from the begining of the first....BJ looked lazy and robotic.....great fight for Edgar!
MiniMan
8/29/10 1:03:38AM
Unlike the 1st fight they had, All 5 rounds looked like Frankie was hitting BJ. He done bloody great!
sbulldavid
8/29/10 1:13:12AM
I though he won the first fight and 50-45 by three different judges in this fight are pretty decisive. Penn deserved that for fighting the same fight until he was gassed from shadowboxing.
randompunter
8/29/10 1:16:13AM
BJ lost the every round quite easily but some of the commentary did seem biased towards Frankie but thats just because he throws so many shots without any power.
ChokeUout
8/29/10 4:02:14AM
Well, nobody has agreed with you yet, and I don't plan on being the first one...

Frankie took BJ down like 4 or 5 times in the first couple rounds, was more active, and landed more shot and ahigher percentage than BJ did. BJ was agressive in the beginning, but I think edgar wore him down a bit.

The Judges all scored it 50-45, pretty much every website scored it 50-45 (except for a 49-46 from some dude on Sherdog), everyone I watched it with saw it 50-45, and everyone in here saw it 50-45. Goldie and Rogan weren't biased at all in my opinion. They were spot on with the commentary in my opinion.

Curious to know what fight you watched, because I think that fight was as clear of a 50-45 as you can get.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 5:51:24AM

Posted by BeeR

Posted by warglory

give it a rest, BJ got worked.

I'm not sure that this comment was needed, but it was 50-45 from where I sat. Commentary was biased, Cody, but it was a clean UD. Edgar just worked him.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 6:02:12AM
Also, a Mod may delete this post, but I would like to say something.

BeeR, I understand that you're in my camp, but you make some hasty generalizations towards people. It's not like Cody aka WarGlory is a new poster to this site. He simply made a post asking the PG what they thought about this fight. You tend to jump all over people.

Calm down, brother. He was simply asking for an opinion about this fight. No need for the harsh comments.
BeeR
8/29/10 8:03:35AM
hasty generalizations?
"give it a rest" isnt a generalization my man, its a plea not to have another- BJ got robbed thread-. I dont think its a harsh comment at all,nobody needs to calm down because nobody is hot and bothered so please dont make hast generalizations about me and dont talk down to me like I am your child.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 8:33:01AM

Posted by BeeR

hasty generalizations?
"give it a rest" isnt a generalization my man, its a plea not to have another- BJ got robbed thread-. I dont think its a harsh comment at all,nobody needs to calm down because nobody is hot and bothered so please dont make hast generalizations about me and dont talk down to me like I am your child.

I'm not talking about you like you're my child.

This, however, isn't the first post you've made that's been condescending. This is my personal observation. Take it for what it's worth.

"give it a rest" is a rather dickish thing to say to someone that's been a long time poster on this site. It's also very condescending.

You're a good dude. You can do better than "give it a rest."
prozacnation1978
8/29/10 8:46:46AM
I might have to say I thought first fight was even
But this one frankie beat him in every round
Penn looked tired and confused what to do

Frankie edgar. Fighter of the year!!! In my book
cowcatcher
8/29/10 10:51:00AM
frankie was taking bj down like a high school kid would a 5th grader in rd 1 and the dominance continued all the way through so i was never swayed by the commentary, in fact the commentary at my buddy's house was along the lines of "OMG bj is getting it handed to him".
Hendo67
8/29/10 11:26:29AM
Fankie easily won that fight 50-45, Bj did not come close to winning a round.
gartface
8/29/10 11:45:47AM

Posted by Hendo67

Fankie easily won that fight 50-45, Bj did not come close to winning a round.

That is not the point of this thread...
Jackelope
8/29/10 11:48:28AM
I'm not going to get worked up about a 49-46 decision to be honest. There was one round- can't quite remember which one it was - but I could see somebody giving it to Penn. Maybe rd. 2? Maybe rd. 4? I can't really remember.

Either way it was clear that Penn gassed, Edgar was faster, and that BJ's repetitive methods of attack were getting him nowhere. I thought the first fight was kind of a BS decision but I will happily admit BJ got worked pretty good in this fight.
warglory
8/29/10 1:17:23PM
Alright, so 99% of the responses really didn't get the point of my post. I am not bitter BJ lost, clearly Frankie won the fight decisively, but in the first three rounds BJ landed some good combinations which were completely ignored, and he also had great head movement (at least in the beginning), but because he was the favored in the fight, Rogan immediately jumped on Frankie's nuts and of course, Goldie followed close behind like the lap dog he tends to be. I don't think anything BJ did was actually commentated on, and that really pissed me off, because it was very unprofessional. That's it, that was my point, I "watched the same fight" as you guys.
gartface
8/29/10 1:43:29PM

Posted by warglory

Alright, so 99% of the responses really didn't get the point of my post. I am not bitter BJ lost, clearly Frankie won the fight decisively, but in the first three rounds BJ landed some good combinations which were completely ignored, and he also had great head movement (at least in the beginning), but because he was the favored in the fight, Rogan immediately jumped on Frankie's nuts and of course, Goldie followed close behind like the lap dog he tends to be. I don't think anything BJ did was actually commentated on, and that really pissed me off, because it was very unprofessional. That's it, that was my point, I "watched the same fight" as you guys.

I get you completely man.
jae_1833
8/29/10 2:16:24PM
Sorry bro, I only half listen to the commentators...people either love or hate this about me....I talk through most of the fights with my buddies.
Jackelope
8/29/10 5:31:20PM

Posted by warglory

There were plenty of times when they talked up BJ IMO. Just to name a few off the top of my head-

Edgar landed a takedown and Rogan/Goldberg talked about how he was in BJ's world now. They talked about his long ass legs and how he had them posted on Edgar's hips so he couldn't pass. Talked about his flexibility, etc.

BJ landed a takedown and got mount. Rogan talked about how he almost had a guard from the top and how he had his ankles locked underneath Frankie which was incredible.

BJ took Edgar's back at one point and Rogan/Goldie talked about how nobody wants to have BJ on their back because he constantly finishes fights there.

Besides those points it was very clear that Edgar was doing most of the damage and most of the effective striking. BJ landed some shots, sure, but his chin always held up from what I could see. BJ was being super repetitive with his combinations (jab, uppercut, hook) and Frankie totally had him figured out. When BJ finally went for a leg kick Rogan talked about how it would be smart of BJ to do that and how that would slow down Edgar so BJ could land shots on him. BJ didn't continue on with the leg kick, though. His combinations remained predictable.

I see your point, but I don't think it was near as bad as you make it out to sound.
BeeR
8/29/10 6:09:35PM

Posted by warglory

many times they said "frankie eats it" or "BJ landed a good left"
he definetly wasnt ignored, usually there is a little bias towards the champion, especially when he is totally shutting down his opponent.
nobody complained when BJ was talked about as a near god during his title reign

They should however have a goldie filter option, he's basicly an echo, or totally wrong
warglory
8/29/10 6:58:11PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by warglory

There were plenty of times when they talked up BJ IMO. Just to name a few off the top of my head-

Edgar landed a takedown and Rogan/Goldberg talked about how he was in BJ's world now. They talked about his long ass legs and how he had them posted on Edgar's hips so he couldn't pass. Talked about his flexibility, etc.

BJ landed a takedown and got mount. Rogan talked about how he almost had a guard from the top and how he had his ankles locked underneath Frankie which was incredible.

BJ took Edgar's back at one point and Rogan/Goldie talked about how nobody wants to have BJ on their back because he constantly finishes fights there.

Besides those points it was very clear that Edgar was doing most of the damage and most of the effective striking. BJ landed some shots, sure, but his chin always held up from what I could see. BJ was being super repetitive with his combinations (jab, uppercut, hook) and Frankie totally had him figured out. When BJ finally went for a leg kick Rogan talked about how it would be smart of BJ to do that and how that would slow down Edgar so BJ could land shots on him. BJ didn't continue on with the leg kick, though. His combinations remained predictable.

I see your point, but I don't think it was near as bad as you make it out to sound.

The times you mentioned were only the brief times BJ was in guard, or trying to pull off some offense on the ground. These were brief encounters. And while I agree Frankie's offense was superior, virtually every shot Frankie through, BJ had a counter (at least in the first few rounds). I thought it was much more even in terms of striking, take downs on the other hand...
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 7:10:55PM
I would agree with that. I even found myself commenting during the first couple of rounds that B.J.'s counter jab was vicious. He was snapping back Edgar's head on more than one occasion.
Pookie
8/29/10 7:55:24PM
I think the commentating did have a bias in the first round, but after that it was all edgar.