FRANK TRIGG SIGNS WITH UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » FRANK TRIGG SIGNS WITH UFC
The_Italian_Stallion
5/27/09 4:46:13PM
Veteran fighter Frank Trigg (19-6 MMA, 2-3 UFC) is returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship after signing a four-fight deal with the organization.

Trigg, who's a daily host for MMAjunkie.com Radio, today told MMAjunkie.com about the signing, which took nearly nine months to complete.

Trigg, who recently turned 37, went 2-3 in his first UFC stint from 2003-2005, but he's perhaps best remembered for two unsuccessful attempts at Matt Hughes' UFC welterweight title.

LINK

Very, very cool and I hope he tears it up!
grappler0000
5/27/09 4:57:07PM

To this day, Trigg jokes that he can't bear to watch the UFC's popular event-night highlights package, set to the tune of "Teenage Wasteland," because it features the two losses so prominently.

LOL, this is the truth too. Trigg sat directly behind me at UFC 77. When Hughes slammed him in the video, I look back and he's texting like a mad man on his phone.
Twenty20Dollars
5/27/09 5:02:13PM
I wonder if Trigg will get thrown straight to the lions of the WW division.
TNPanther78
5/27/09 5:08:34PM
This is good news right here, I hope he does good.
Bowen50
5/27/09 5:10:01PM
good addition but i just don't think Trigg can compete with the UFC's upper tier welterweights.
Kpro
5/27/09 5:11:58PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

His last 7 fights have been at MW. He hasn't been 170 in over 3 years.

He'll probably get in there with a Quarry, Almeida, Leben, Cote, etc.

But if he rattles off 2-3 in a row, I'm sure he'd get a title shot against Anderson (assuming Anderson was still champ).
TNPanther78
5/27/09 5:20:24PM

Posted by Kpro

But if he rattles off 2-3 in a row, I'm sure he'd get a title shot against Anderson (assuming Anderson was still champ).

I woudnt doubt that Anderson will still be champ. even though that is a long way away if Trigg racks up 2 to 3, cause who is gonna fight Anderson next for the Middleweight title, maybe Cote cause of his injury which won't be an automatic rematch, but Trigg can do some damage to MW division I believe just my opinion. Until then Anderson will probly fight at LHW.
nickcuc547
5/27/09 5:28:38PM
can never complain about the signing of a fighter like trigg, he is a tough fight for anybody in the top 10 of both 170 and 185 divisions. there are a lot of guys in the ufc i'd love to see him fight.
king_katool
5/27/09 6:06:11PM

Posted by TNPanther78

Posted by Kpro

I woudnt doubt that Anderson will still be champ. even though that is a long way away if Trigg racks up 2 to 3, cause who is gonna fight Anderson next for the Middleweight title, maybe Cote cause of his injury which won't be an automatic rematch, but Trigg can do some damage to MW division I believe just my opinion. Until then Anderson will probly fight at LHW.

the article states he will fight at WW not MW
scobac
5/27/09 6:08:24PM
I love this, trigg is goin to be a huge draw no matter who he faces, the name alone plus the fact he is still competitive is going generate some ppv buys. I think it would be good for the ufc and the sport for them to bring back more of their former fighters that have been doing good in other orgs besides the ufc. lawler, diaz, etc. hell maybe another comeback season of TUF. what do you guys think?
grappler0000
5/27/09 6:13:55PM

Posted by scobac

I love this, trigg is goin to be a huge draw no matter who he faces, the name alone plus the fact he is still competitive is going generate some ppv buys. I think it would be good for the ufc and the sport for them to bring back more of their former fighters that have been doing good in other orgs besides the ufc. lawler, diaz, etc. hell maybe another comeback season of TUF. what do you guys think?

His name is out there, but a 'huge draw' is a bit of a stretch.
Darnok
5/27/09 6:23:28PM

Posted by Kpro

I wish people would read before commenting.

Although he's competed as a middleweight in some recent fights, he'll remain at welterweight in the UFC.
Giant_Ochai
5/27/09 6:46:54PM

Posted by Kpro

Trigg has already announced that he would return to welterweight.
TNPanther78
5/27/09 7:09:39PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by TNPanther78

Posted by Kpro

the article states he will fight at WW not MW

Oh ooops my stupidity has gotten the best of me!
sbulldavid
5/27/09 7:30:49PM
Frank Trigg is average just like the rest of the WW division . He's just more depth to a division full of depth . All these fighters are becoming nameless I can only hope that Alves KO's GSP . GSP could turn into Oscar Delahoya if he moves up in weight and starts battling everybody at MW. And I don't mean Anderson Silva . I don't care to see that fight yet unless GSP ever starts destroying people again. Fitch beats Trigg, Kos beats Trigg, Larson beats Trigg, Karo beats him, he's not the gate keeper he's the door mat. He's just too soft .
WheelchairBandit
5/27/09 7:48:45PM
Frank is crazy to try to go back to 170-have you ever heard what it takes for him to get down to 170?All he can eat is one small green salad a day,with nothing in it.It damn near kills him to get down to that weight.

He says he wants to go back to 170 because the guys at 185 are getting too big,but for what it takes for him to make the weight,I think he'd be better off sticking at 185.I think he'd be Top 5 in the UFC MW divison,but in the WW division I don't think he could even crack the Top 15.There's just too many young stud wrestlers at 170 that don't have to kill themselves to make weight.At 185,Trigg would be one of the best wrestlers in the divison.

I wish him the best of luck though-he can hype a fight like no other.

WB.
TimW001
5/27/09 8:44:26PM

Posted by Bowen50

good addition but i just don't think Trigg can compete with the UFC's upper tier welterweights.

Agreed, this seems like an odd signing.
crushedbacon
5/27/09 8:48:57PM
Damn Trigg? Really? Reference UFC 54 and then apply age and declining skill set to the equation.
Kpro
5/27/09 8:53:33PM
He's a nice asset for Zuffa for announcing also.
Sir_Karl
5/27/09 9:10:30PM
That is so good to hear. Frank is and always has been one of my very favorite fighters.
Go Central New York!
kopower
5/27/09 9:12:03PM
I think I'd rather have him announce than fight. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent fighter and adds depth to the ww division but I can't see him making a big run and capturing a title. Trigg really doesn't do anything for me

I'd like to see a retirement match sometime down the road, like pro wrestling does, against Hughes. The loser retires for good.
Twenty20Dollars
5/27/09 9:54:03PM
I didnt read the article, just lucked out. I keep forgetting that he has fought at MW lately.

I just always think of him as a WW.
telnights
5/27/09 10:26:05PM
Yeah wondering what weight class they will have him fight in. I think Trigg looks better at MW than he did at WW.
Chuteboxer
5/27/09 10:37:06PM
If anything, Trigg will make a decent gatekeeper in either division he fights in. There's no shame in that, and it's nice to see a famliar face in the octagon again.
prozacnation1978
5/27/09 10:44:30PM
funny this happening i was watching the trigg vs hughes match 2 and was thinking it would be cool to see trigg back in the ufc, at welter he could have alot of match ups hughes number 3, fitch, kos, serra
if he fights 4 times i see him going 2-2 at best
Jackelope
5/27/09 11:01:18PM
For those of you who weren't fans when Trigg was in the UFC back in the day- get ready to see some great hype. I love Trigg not only for his fights, but probably moreso for his hype leading up into the fights. This dude can talk smack with the best of them. Who'd like to see Trigg vs. Nick Diaz?
tallica62
5/28/09 12:06:23AM
i dont think hell be able to hold his own with the best of WW or MW...hes good, but part of the last generation of fighters to be taken over by the new generation
slapshot
5/28/09 12:12:12AM
Hughes Trigg 2 is one of my favorite fights.

WAR TRIGG!

Posted by Jackelope

For those of you who weren't fans when Trigg was in the UFC back in the day- get ready to see some great hype. I love Trigg not only for his fights, but probably moreso for his hype leading up into the fights. This dude can talk smack with the best of them. Who'd like to see Trigg vs. Nick Diaz?

That would be great but the fight would start at the weigh ins and thats no joke, lol.
sbulldavid
5/28/09 1:39:49AM
I just think he's soft and terrible if I want to see somebody talk smack I want to see Diaz , at least he's entertaining . Trigg is just too much of a doormat . I would enjoy seeing him get a thrashing from Kos , that would be hyped .
WheelchairBandit
5/28/09 2:16:32AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Trigg fight Serra-that would actually be a great fight,very evenly matched.

But maybe the UFC is eyeing Hughes vs. Trigg 3,considering how well everyone accepted Wanderlei vs. Rampage 3.I know I would like to see those two tango again-even if Hughes RNCs him in the first round once again,you KNOW it's going to be fun to watch.

I know it would be beating a dead horse to death,but those two on a season of TUF would be quality TV.And it wouldn't hold up a title in any way like every other season does.

WB.