Frank Mir thinks MIGUEL TORRES IS best POUND-FOR-POUND fighter

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Frank Mir thinks MIGUEL TORRES IS best POUND-FOR-POUND fighter
komodo20
3/26/09 7:24:46PM
Frank Mir thinks MIGUEL TORRES IS best POUND-FOR-POUND fighter “I think he’s the number one fighter in the world right now,” Mir said of the 5’9, 135-pound Torres, whom he first met at a gym six years ago. “He has a warrior mindset. I think some guys make the mistake of thinking that being well-conditioned and having technical skills gives you what it takes to be a champion, and it doesn’t. There are so many things you have to deal with emotionally and in your mind. You have to conquer yourself. And that’s the difference between him and his opponents right now. He’s just mentally above everybody else.”

Boasting a record of 35-1, Torres is the type of fighter that Mir believes can dominate for a long time. A naturally gifted striker with an equally impressive ground game, Torres’ rise to fame is one that will be hard to ignore, Mir added. In fact, Mir thinks that Torres’ knack for finishing fights could earn him comparisons to one of the sports world’s most recognizable names.

“He just destroys people so badly inside the ring,” Mir, who will handle color commentary for VERSUS when Torres defends the bantamweight crown against Takeya Mizugaki on April 5, said. “I think it’s kind of like (boxer) Roy Jones back in ’97 and ’98 when he was just smashing people so easily. He would go play a semi-pro basketball game and then fly to a fight and then mock people, dance and dominate in the ring. I think that’s the kind of the level that Miguel is showing right now. He is just smashing people so definitively and making it look too easy.”

Mir realizes that things won’t be as easy when Torres takes on dangerous Japanese striker Mizugaki (11-2-2). Given the Japanese star’s affinity for trading leather, Mir acknowledges that Torres will have his hands full inside the cage at the UIC Pavilion in his hometown of Chicago. Still, he believes that the WEC® champion will find a way to score an impressive victory. Thanks to his grit and determination, Torres will have it no other way, Mir said.

“The only way I could see anybody really beating Miguel at this point is if they could just take him down and really just try to stall out in his guard and not get submitted,” Mir said. “If that’s even possible. But again, his hips are so fast and his guard is so lethal, I don’t know if anybody can survive that way. I don’t see anybody out there really standing up with him because of the height advantage he has, the speed, his toughness, his chin, his power and his killer instinct. And if they really try to open up their game and roll with him they will really be in trouble. He is just very determined and single-minded.”
Styles
3/26/09 8:20:13PM
He is good... but P4P not the best by far.
ncordless
3/26/09 8:41:31PM
He is great but I'd like to see him fight some more top ten BWs before I call him no. 1... much like the Faber thread.
seanfu
3/26/09 10:45:55PM
That's what they call blatant nutthugging for promotions sake. It's rediculous to compare Torres to any top 8 p4p guys out there. He isn't anywhere as clean as Faber, GSP Penn Fedor, Rampage, Anderson, Lyoto, any of those.

Just because you have a clean record you are not number 1 or 2, and comparing his wild (granted badass) attack to Roy Jones in possibly the slickest striking sport out there is a crime.

There's no such thing as a Roy Jones, or Ray Leonard in MMA, they don't exist. Mir is blatantly nutthugging for promotions sake.

.....Oh and I almost forgot, even if he was the most talented fighter in ther world, he's fought 3 top guys, and Beebe went down the drain. He would have to win twice as impressively as a GSP or Fedor to make his way up to number 1. Bantam is lacking and WEC's bantam is really lacking considering Japans talant pool. WEC has maybe a little under half of the top talent.
Jackelope
3/26/09 11:32:45PM
I think Mir means this in regards to not only the pedigrees of Torres in striking and grappling, but also because supposedly Torres has fought guys up to 200+ lbs before and won a very substantial amount of those matches.

I don't agree with him being THE top p4p fighter, but I do believe Torres has a pretty good skill set for his size. Plus, he's got that tenacity and angst that you don't see in a lot of champs. Most champs are pretty collected, but Torres gets angry and I love watching it haha
emfleek
3/27/09 9:17:36AM
Torres would bang your mom (with his eyes closed) in front of everyone at your family reunion. He's THAT much of a badass.
MMA
3/27/09 9:33:59AM
It is never really credible when one of your best friends say you're P4P best.
Pookie
3/27/09 4:35:07PM

Posted by emfleek

Torres would bang your mom (with his eyes closed) in front of everyone at your family reunion. He's THAT much of a badass.

And still maintain eye contact with your father the whole time. Hes THAT much of a badass
emfleek
3/27/09 4:38:33PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by emfleek

And still maintain eye contact with your father the whole time. Hes THAT much of a badass

As Flashy_G said...I'd LET him bang my mom in front of everyone at the family reunion. I might even high five the dude and buy him a 12-pack.
Pookie
3/27/09 4:40:33PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Pookie

Posted by emfleek

As Flashy_G said...I'd LET him bang my mom in front of everyone at the family reunion. I might even high five the dude and buy him a 12-pack.

If Miguel Torres banged my girlfriend, it would only make me love her even more.
emfleek
3/27/09 4:46:10PM

Posted by Pookie

If Miguel Torres banged my girlfriend, it would only make me love her even more.

I guess now is a perfect time to reveal my true identity...
CwB
3/27/09 7:22:23PM
all i can say is wow...
bls1919
3/27/09 8:23:35PM

Posted by emfleek

Thats pretty F'ing bad. I havent seen much of Torres. Maybe i need to research. 35-1 is a very impressive record at any weight. He probably belongs in the top 5. Frank is a credible guy though. He really knows his MMA. Friend or not.
TheBestEVER
3/28/09 12:49:53PM
He also thinks that he stands a chance in the rematch with Lesnar.......hmmmm
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/09 5:07:17PM
Frank Mir also believes he is the best HW in the world... Quite delusional if you ask me.......
emfleek
3/29/09 1:15:27PM

Posted by TheBestEVER

He also thinks that he stands a chance in the rematch with Lesnar.......hmmmm

Why would he think that? Not because he ALREADY BEAT HIM once, right? Not because he pretty much DOMINATED Nog after pretty much everyone wrote him off as, again, having no chance. Right?

I'm not saying he'll win, but if you think he doesn't stand a chance, you need to watch more MMA, bro.
bls1919
3/29/09 9:15:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Frank Mir also believes he is the best HW in the world... Quite delusional if you ask me.......

Outside of Fedor i think Mir is the best HW in the biz. He definatly has the BJJ pedigree to back it up and he is the only guy to ever stop NOG. i mean Nog fought Fedor 3 times and couldnt be stopped. Mir deserves some gloating rights IMO
Thefridge1337
4/6/09 9:08:34PM
frank isn't the only one
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AgkuqpvQy4KOh49SRp9nf3A9Eo14?slug=dd-torres040609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

also thinks after last nights fight torres is up there. still cant believe that mir things torres can beat fedor
Pookie
4/6/09 9:31:17PM

Posted by bls1919

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Outside of Fedor i think Mir is the best HW in the biz. He definatly has the BJJ pedigree to back it up and he is the only guy to ever stop NOG. i mean Nog fought Fedor 3 times and couldnt be stopped. Mir deserves some gloating rights IMO

Nog also didnt have staph and a blown knee when he fought Fedor