Frank Mir talks Cain vs. JDS, rips dos Santos' ground game

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir talks Cain vs. JDS, rips dos Santos' ground game
FastKnockout
1/14/13 11:23:32AM
Former UFC Heavyweight champion Frank Mir discussed the UFC 155 rematch between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos. He praised both fighters but had some very particular criticism for the ground game of Junior dos Santos.

Link
TeamDEY
1/14/13 11:53:41AM
Who needs a ground game when all you do is knock people out. C'mon Frank.
bjj1605
1/14/13 12:18:41PM
Easy to criticize from the sidelines.

Haven't watched the fight yet so I can't weigh in..
Bubbles
1/14/13 1:35:28PM
as someone with his grappling pedigree who also broke Big Nog's arm, I'd say he is one of the few people who can criticize JDS ground game, or lackthereof.
airkerma
1/14/13 2:06:45PM
Tough to really "rip" his ground game. When was the last time anyone managed to throw Cain off and just hop back up at will? Seems like calling out someone's striking game after they lose to Anderson...
bjj1605
1/14/13 2:20:40PM
Ya.

And if he really didn't even attempt a submission, that is bad news.
JLS1980
1/14/13 2:38:22PM
I guess that's easy for Mir to say since he's already loss to Junior and was unsuccessful at everything in their fight.
jlock003
1/14/13 3:17:32PM

Posted by JLS1980

I guess that's easy for Mir to say since he's already loss to Junior and was unsuccessful at everything in their fight.

Not true, he successfully got his face beat in. I like Mir actually but it sounds like either a misused clip or him just staying relevant.
Bubbles
1/14/13 3:21:13PM

Posted by JLS1980

Mir acknowledged JDS's striking game is top notch. There is a reason why he went for TDs very early into the fight. Mir is addressing the talk about JDS's ground game where everyone in his camp (and fans) kept saying he is a brown/black belt under the Nogs therefore he has a good guard. If Mir were to critique Dos Santos' striking defense for getting dropped by Cain, then we can rip Mir apart.
tcunningham
1/14/13 7:44:14PM

Posted by Bubbles

as someone with his grappling pedigree who also broke Big Nog's arm, I'd say he is one of the few people who can criticize JDS ground game, or lackthereof.

i cant agree more. if frank mir is anything, he's without a doubt the best submission guy in the HW division. on top of that, frank mir has been at the highest level of MMA for a very long time. very knowledgeable, i really like mir as a commentator also.
bjj1605
1/14/13 8:57:49PM
Good point.

And I think he was talking as a commentator here, not a fighter.

There was no arrogance or challenge in the statement.
KingCmb
1/15/13 8:52:01AM
Dos santos did show he had a very overrated ground game i mean Franks a legit black belt and one of the best in the world at that but it really would only take someone with a moderate understanding of bjj to see that dos santos isnt a major threat on the matt
crushedbacon
1/15/13 2:15:11PM
How many subs did Mir get a chance to go for at UFC 100? Off the top of my head I would say zero. Cain put Junior in the same position Lesnar had Mir in at UFC 100 several times. When you have a guy with that kinda ground control on top of you isolating a wrist and hammering your face, subs are on the backburner.... survival takes precedent. I'd love to see Werdum or Mir vs Cain...
bjj1605
1/15/13 5:13:36PM

Posted by crushedbacon

How many subs did Mir get a chance to go for at UFC 100? Off the top of my head I would say zero. Cain put Junior in the same position Lesnar had Mir in at UFC 100 several times. When you have a guy with that kinda ground control on top of you isolating a wrist and hammering your face, subs are on the backburner.... survival takes precedent. I'd love to see Werdum or Mir vs Cain...

I remember at least two.

A guillotine and a knee bar.