Frank Mir says he would like to fight Anderson Silva at a catch weight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir says he would like to fight Anderson Silva at a catch weight
jae_1833
4/13/10 12:46:01AM
link
Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir says he would like to fight current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at a catch weight if Anderson’s planned super fight with Georges St. Pierre is now off.
“I would love to fight Anderson Silva!” Mir told Fighters Only in a text message last night. “I would even make it a 235 catch weight to make it more appealing to his manager and the commission.”
chickmagnet
4/13/10 2:03:45AM
Dana would never allow it.
Aether
4/13/10 2:18:55AM
Frank would get demolished IMO.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/13/10 5:46:44AM
I love Frank Mir and I am about tired of seeing people use his face as a punching bag. This is a bad match-up for Frank Mir but props to him for calling out Silva. I wonder what he's thinking he has to gain from this. If he wins it doesn't help his standing in the Heavyweight division and if he loses that will be his third loss in four fights which would severely hurt his status. Especially if Silva moves up two weight classes for this fight. A loss to Silva in his own division might raise some big questions about whether or not he still has it. I know that Silva is arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world but even he shouldn't be able to move up two divisions and take out a former champion at his natural weight class. Plus, I don't see Anderson saying "catch weight is fine" There were talks of him taking on Lesnar and you KNOW Lesnar wouldn't agree to a catch weight. I don't even think Lesnar could do it if he did agree to a catch weight. He's just too massive a guy. I'd shudder to think of what Lesnar would look like at "235" pounds.
State_Champ
4/13/10 10:04:33AM
Please let this fight happen!!!!!!!
Hendo67
4/13/10 1:16:17PM
Not Mir, seriously...this would do nothing and wouldn't prove a point for any fighter. If Anderson goes up to HW, no screwing around he should fight a top HW, like top of the top, maybe JDS?
tmas
4/13/10 1:39:03PM

Posted by Hendo67

Not Mir, seriously...this would do nothing and wouldn't prove a point for any fighter. If Anderson goes up to HW, no screwing around he should fight a top HW, like top of the top, maybe JDS?

JDS is one of his training partners
Caesarrrr
4/13/10 3:58:25PM
And JDS would destroy silva. I don't think it's a good idea to give him a top 3 HW, because that reduces them in the eyes of the UFC if they lose, and if they win, Woohoo, you beat a guy that had to gain weight to fight you.
cmill21
4/13/10 4:34:57PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

And JDS would destroy silva. I don't think it's a good idea to give him a top 3 HW, because that reduces them in the eyes of the UFC if they lose, and if they win, Woohoo, you beat a guy that had to gain weight to fight you.

90% of MMA watchers want Andy to get blasted.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/13/10 4:41:15PM

If nothing else I want to see him get really rocked by someone.
Pookie
4/13/10 5:10:43PM
Mir couldnt make 235, and if he did i bet he'd gas quicker than usual.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/13/10 5:21:00PM
After seeing how great Mir look physically at 265 I wouldn't want him to do that. However, I think he could do it. It wouldn't be wise since he'd be giving up more of his natural weight than Silva would be putting on.
cmill21
4/13/10 5:43:43PM
I want to see Anderson fight Fedor...thats it. I honestly have no illusions of how good Anderson really is, I know full well, but I can't see him beating Fedor. My picks have greatly improved since I started looking at who has more ways to win and IMO that's definetly Fedor
deezyo
4/13/10 8:43:06PM
i wouldnt mind seeing that fight
Violence108
4/13/10 9:38:02PM
it sounds like a good fight, i think frank would do good, hes much bigger and have the tools to beat Silva, but i think Frank would have trouble getting to that weight, i mean just put on 30 pounds of muscle., franks got a good chin, i think the ufc would do it now that anderson is not on dana's good list
tcunningham
4/14/10 3:57:46PM
after that disgraceful performance by mir in the carwin fight, hes just talkin big to try to get his good name back. i seriously doubt this fight would ever happen. i still like mir but not for what he is but for what he did in past fights. i dont see him being as high up on the HW food chain after carwin owned him
BlueSkiesBurn
4/14/10 5:04:39PM
As opposed to the other 11 opponents Carwin faced that did better? Frank Mir last 1:38 seconds longer than Carwin's best opponent. Do you know that previous best opponent was? His first. Carlton Jones and he lasted 2:11 in Round 1.

Face it, some fighters have their bane, Mir's might be absurdly good wrestlers with freaking huge hands. It's hard to block something that pretty much covers your face. I am 6'6" around 250 with enormous hands and I wouldn't give myself 1:00 in the octagon with Carwin. The guy hits like a brick shithouse. That's not on Mir.
cmill21
4/14/10 6:33:33PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

As opposed to the other 11 opponents Carwin faced that did better? Frank Mir last 1:38 seconds longer than Carwin's best opponent. Do you know that previous best opponent was? His first. Carlton Jones and he lasted 2:11 in Round 1.

Face it, some fighters have their bane, Mir's might be absurdly good wrestlers with freaking huge hands. It's hard to block something that pretty much covers your face. I am 6'6" around 250 with enormous hands and I wouldn't give myself 1:00 in the octagon with Carwin. The guy hits like a brick shithouse. That's not on Mir.

It acctually sounds like it would be easier to block something bigger. On top of that the force would be spread out more, however there is the mass x velocity....baisially what I'm saying is who gives a **** how big his hands are, people keep talking about that. Frank fought like ****, he didn't do anything in that fight and e looked like he had no plan at all.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/14/10 6:41:00PM
He could have very well had no plan. I'm not saying big hands are the end all be all of fighting. I am saying that someone with tremendous power and larger hands will be able to apply more surface area behind that power. It's the equivalent of getting hit a switch or a paddle. Even if the punch is blocked it's still doing damage.