Frank Mir vs Roy nelson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir vs Roy nelson
DBockman
5/15/11 6:16:09AM
I have seen both of the guys previous fights but I am not basing the winner on those fights. I would go for frank mir but there is this thing about me that says always go for the underdog I think in this case that is roy nelson.
tattflash
5/15/11 10:18:41AM
I cant see where Mir wins this, Big country has just as effective JJ and has better ground control, as shown in his grapplers quest win over Mir ( albeit in 2003) he also has far better stand up, heavier hands, and great cardio for a guy his size, I think Nelson take this via KO rd 1,
Budgellism
5/15/11 10:44:02AM

Posted by tattflash

I cant see where Mir wins this, Big country has just as effective JJ and has better ground control, as shown in his grapplers quest win over Mir ( albeit in 2003) he also has far better stand up, heavier hands, and great cardio for a guy his size, I think Nelson take this via KO rd 1,

This.

After looking at this fight more and more it's just clearer to me that Nelson is going to win this fight. He's better in almost every area. I also think Nelson by 1st round ko.
Twenty20Dollars
5/15/11 10:57:50AM
It's all coming down to me, for how Frank looks at the weigh-ins and how much he weighs at.
free_style_52
5/15/11 11:26:33AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It's all coming down to me, for how Frank looks at the weigh-ins and how much he weighs at.

In what way? Most likely Frank will weigh in at 265 of muscle like his last couple of fights. There is some videos on youtube of him saying how he wanted to gain weight and help him compete against some of the heavier guys.

I think this is a hard fight to call, Mir needs to look better then his last fight though.
sbulldavid
5/15/11 3:26:16PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with Mir, the Cro Cop fight went about as I expected- until the KO anyway. Mir is a lot better than he was in 2003 and don't forget, that was only a grappling match. Don't believe the hype.
Hendo67
5/15/11 5:21:15PM
Nelson via TKO.
ajp10k
5/15/11 7:38:43PM
Grappling becomes a little different when you can get punched in the face. Mir applies his ground skills in MMA better then roy does.... Mir 2nd submission.
Pookie
5/15/11 8:40:48PM
I disagree that Nelson has better stand-up. I do, however, think he has a way better chin and should win in a brawl. But Techinically speaking, Mir is alot better on the feet.
I think the fight is determined by Mir's takedown defense.
VILLIN
5/16/11 4:09:00AM
I gotta go with Nelson in this tilt. He is good enough to hold his own on the ground and on the feet he has heavier hands as well as a much better chin. Roy by overhand right in the third followed by the truffle shuffle victory dance.
Lesnar1
5/16/11 6:16:56AM
It the depends on which Frank Mir shows up if the Mir who beat Noguiera and Kongo shows up he'll beat Roy but if the Mir who faced 'Cro Cop' shows up which was the weirdest fight ever when he fought 'cro cop' then Roy will probably knock him out but no matter what Roy still has a great chance on the feet and has great ground game personally id love to see these two battle it out on the ground going hold for hold sub attempt after sub attempt but thats just me it's definitely gonna be a great ass fight for sure.
prozacnation1978
5/16/11 6:53:56PM
Jds couldn't finish big country and neither will mir
I am going with nelson
KungFuMaster
5/18/11 1:43:15AM
I have always been a Mir fan but this fight against Nelson is a bad match up for Mir. Mir virtually has no take down abilities and I doubt he will be able to put Nelson on the mat.

The stand up fight is interesting but I am going to have to give the edge to Nelson as he seemingly has the tougher chin of the two.

Another thing to consider is the conditioning factor of the two fighters. IMO, Nelson has the better cardio and would out-last Mir in this three round fight.

I predict Mir to gas late in the second round and Nelson may even pull off a tko in the third.

Of course, we all know anything can happen in a fight but as it stands on paper, my prediction goes to Nelson even though I am a Mir fan.

It should be an interesting fight. Let's see...