Frank Mir Received TUE For Testosterone Use For Junior Dos Santos Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir Received TUE For Testosterone Use For Junior Dos Santos Fight
FastKnockout
6/1/12 6:05:27PM
It wasn't long ago that everyone began talking about how fans and media could breathe a sigh of relief after the Nevada State Athletic Commission e-mailed the press to say that all UFC 146 fighters' drug tests came back clean. It appeared there'd be no controversy on that front.

And then Larry Pepe tweeted this:

NSAC's Keith Kizer confirmed to me that Frank Mir met all requirements for & received TUE for TRT for UFC 146 fight against JDS.

This, of course, has led to a considerable amount of reaction.

LINK
george112
6/1/12 6:10:19PM

I don't like the double standard
Poor_Franklin
6/1/12 6:18:00PM

Posted by george112

sparky
6/1/12 6:33:38PM

Posted by george112

Im a Reem fan so I second that shit
machodog76
6/1/12 6:35:54PM
I don't see the contoversy here, He filed the paperwork and met all requirements. Did I miss something?
grappler0000
6/1/12 6:47:16PM
Ariel asked him about his opinion on TRT in an interview...it seemed strange that he passed on the question, so maybe this explains it.
Manak
6/1/12 8:22:19PM
why not just make roids legal year round then as long as if they get down to 1:1 or the 6:1, which they allow for TRT, by fight time its all good..... :bang head:

getting tired of this crap, aging is apart of being an athlete get over not being in your 20s anymore. yes there is a medical purpose to TRT for older men but com'n you really think mma fighters aren't using this for a loophole.
mrsmiley
6/1/12 9:37:35PM
This is just too damn funny. Give it a year and Jon Jones will be needing test to stay relavent.
jlock003
6/1/12 10:15:10PM
His levels were 1:1 the day after the fight...as in the very next day...Overeem was 14:1...how is there a comparison? Mir went through the proper channels to use TRT and tested at a normal level...I wonder what he would've been at if he didn't do the TRT...not in a sarcastic way...does anyone know how quickly a person can come down from TRT, or how much of an increase it can cause in your T:E ratio?
jae_1833
6/1/12 10:24:43PM
I dont buy it as Mir is a guy who has always been clean as far as we know and as soon as TUE for TRT appears then all of a sudden he needs it too.....now I wont be supporting him either.....cheater!
Pookie
6/1/12 10:38:40PM
i have no problem with a 1:1 ratio.
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/12 10:50:53PM
I'm passing out free Kleenex for all of the incessant crying going on in here......that's right Kids, free Kleenex! Come get it from Uncle ChaCha
KingCmb
6/1/12 11:01:17PM
haters

cheating is cheating and not cheating is not cheating frank mir = not cheating get over it
Manak
6/1/12 11:14:48PM

Posted by jlock003

His levels were 1:1 the day after the fight...as in the very next day...Overeem was 14:1...how is there a comparison? Mir went through the proper channels to use TRT and tested at a normal level...I wonder what he would've been at if he didn't do the TRT...not in a sarcastic way...does anyone know how quickly a person can come down from TRT, or how much of an increase it can cause in your T:E ratio?

very true but was mir checked months before the fight?? overeem was that high months before the fight (plus he was not on TRT so he just got messed up). mir could have just as equally high months before if they were not checking in to make sure he was not abusing, like is was saying whats the point of not letting all guys use if they can get their levels to 1:1 for fight time. they get to train at a crazy high level to improve at high right rate then so come off of it before the fight.. for all we know this is the reason mir put on so much more weight.just cause he doesn't look like a super hero doesn't he wasn't using. I've seen plenty of users get huge w/o the typical body associated with roids. I think TRT is dumb for pro athletes (unless they actually have a hormone problem not just being old) but if they are gonna keep letting happen, then have the guys on it get tested once a month if not more.
jlock003
6/1/12 11:51:20PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by jlock003

very true but was mir checked months before the fight?? overeem was that high months before the fight (plus he was not on TRT so he just got messed up). mir could have just as equally high months before if they were not checking in to make sure he was not abusing, like is was saying whats the point of not letting all guys use if they can get their levels to 1:1 for fight time. they get to train at a crazy high level to improve at high right rate then so come off of it before the fight.. for all we know this is the reason mir put on so much more weight.just cause he doesn't look like a super hero doesn't he wasn't using. I've seen plenty of users get huge w/o the typical body associated with roids. I think TRT is dumb for pro athletes (unless they actually have a hormone problem not just being old) but if they are gonna keep letting happen, then have the guys on it get tested once a month if not more.

I think that's a fair assessment actually. The other thing people have to realize is Overeem had an odd situation. He didn't even have a license in Nevada, but he was tested as a stipulation for his granted license for the Lesnar fight. It was a weird situation. I'm still curious how the process works as in how much it raises your levels, if it depends on dosage, how long it takes to return to normal levels etc... It could very well be that I just see 14:1 and think that sounds like a guy is just doing everything he can to get an unfair advantage where in reality anyone who undergoes the treatment (I'm pretty sure it wasn't TRT for Overeem though) could have excessively high levels. What happened with Overeem again? I know some of you guys are huge Reem fans, I know he said his doc gave him something but can't remember the details.
tcunningham
6/2/12 12:36:35AM
its stupid how TRT is slowly turning into cheating no matter whether the fighter truly needs it to or not. as long as it isnt abused its not cheating, its in the same realm as prescription drugs. Oxycontin is legal if a doctor prescribes it and it isnt abused. stop whining about TRT and focus on the cheaters themselves!!!!
Manak
6/2/12 2:08:36AM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by Manak

Posted by jlock003

I think that's a fair assessment actually. The other thing people have to realize is Overeem had an odd situation. He didn't even have a license in Nevada, but he was tested as a stipulation for his granted license for the Lesnar fight. It was a weird situation. I'm still curious how the process works as in how much it raises your levels, if it depends on dosage, how long it takes to return to normal levels etc... It could very well be that I just see 14:1 and think that sounds like a guy is just doing everything he can to get an unfair advantage where in reality anyone who undergoes the treatment (I'm pretty sure it wasn't TRT for Overeem though) could have excessively high levels. What happened with Overeem again? I know some of you guys are huge Reem fans, I know he said his doc gave him something but can't remember the details.

overeem says it was for a hurt rib, n the doc gave him an injections that had a test booster in it, he also gave him more of it. a bottle containing 2 more shots. overeem actually admits to taking one a couple days before the test, but never took the second. (he shows the hearing on theorem.com). but yea Im in a similar boat as you. I want to know more of the science behind to see how much this effects the levels. Also i think on a PR move guys, would look good if they released the info from their docs visit to better show the need for TRT
MMAcca
6/2/12 3:05:40AM
When your body stops naturally producing testosterone and you feel like you can't compete with the other guys in your weight class, retire.

Problem solved
Kpro
6/2/12 4:36:40AM
The Olympics would have to make this stand before a sport like MMA would.

If it's still legal in the Olympics and athletes are getting an extra 4 years for a chance at more gold medals from TRT, why would MMA make a stand before the Olympics? It would never happen. Targeting MMA isn't the right way to go after TRT. MMA is a pebble in an ocean of TUE's for TRT in the grand scheme of global sports.
bjj1605
6/2/12 3:42:33PM
I think there is a reasonable argument to be made for not allowing TRT at all.

The logic behind it seems strange to me. Why should aging fighters be able to use testosterone when young one's can't?

If you answer: "Because their levels are suppressed", then you need to explain to me why Stephan Struve can't use it. I bet Brock Lesnar has naturally higher levels of testosterone than Struve. There are natural variations among men. Aging is a natural process. Why should we use unnatural means to correct natural levels?

You guys are right for sure though.

You can't compare 1:1 (Mir) to 16:1 (Reem) or 14:1 (Sonnen).

The last two are obviously being used for an ADVANTAGE. Mir was using TRT to return to normal levels.
Chael_Sonnen
6/3/12 11:35:14AM

Posted by bjj1605

I think there is a reasonable argument to be made for not allowing TRT at all.

The logic behind it seems strange to me. Why should aging fighters be able to use testosterone when young one's can't?

If you answer: "Because their levels are suppressed", then you need to explain to me why Stephan Struve can't use it. I bet Brock Lesnar has naturally higher levels of testosterone than Struve. There are natural variations among men. Aging is a natural process. Why should we use unnatural means to correct natural levels?

You guys are right for sure though.

You can't compare 1:1 (Mir) to 16:1 (Reem) or 14:1 (Sonnen).

The last two are obviously being used for an ADVANTAGE. Mir was using TRT to return to normal levels.

Yo Andee, Be scared homie.....be very scared.

Uncle ChaCha is comin'

With my TRT exemption in my left hand, a sledgehammer in my right and the belt that you spit shined around my waist!

The Oregon Felon is gonna bust Silva's Melon..

bjj1605
6/3/12 5:32:34PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Yo Andee, Be scared homie.....be very scared.

Uncle ChaCha is comin'

With my TRT exemption in my left hand, a sledgehammer in my right and the belt that you spit shined around my waist!

The Oregon Felon is gonna bust Silva's Melon..

I don't think my 10 year old cousin would be scared of fighting Chael Sonnen.

Even though he would obviously lose a decision, it would feel more like a long and uncomfortable hug than it would feel like losing a fight.