Frank Mir vs. Randy Couture

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Frank Mir vs. Randy Couture
warglory
8/4/08 12:25:38PM
A buddy of mine brought this up, and I was intrigued because I had never really thought about this match up before! What do you guys think? I'd take Randy via UD, but this would be a close match in my opinion.
Bowen50
8/4/08 12:34:24PM
i think Randy would smash him
casketcoin
8/4/08 12:35:37PM
i thought about this when couture was making his come back to the HW division. i thought the loser should retire. But now couture would destroy him. DESTROY
Cdellorso
8/4/08 12:35:57PM
Twenty20Dollars
8/4/08 12:42:38PM
yeah couture has way better striking and wrestling to just dominate mir.
mkiv9secsupra
8/4/08 12:44:32PM
Couture would dominate this fight on the feet and the ground. Mir is not a top HW imo.

How the hell does Mir get the title shot anyway?!
tepid55
8/4/08 4:30:02PM
I think Mir could submit Couture.
MMAcca
8/4/08 4:50:12PM
Mir - Because by the time Couture is legally allowed to fight again he will be in his fifties.....
postman
8/4/08 5:34:46PM
Thats very true
Aaronno9
8/4/08 5:41:16PM
If they fought while randy was still training and fighting Randy would smash him in the first round. If they where to fight when the whole legal thing is cleared up who knows becouse that could be going on for years at this rate.
JimiMak
8/4/08 5:52:53PM
Mir by sub or Randy by pounding him out. Could easily go either way.
zephead
8/4/08 6:40:26PM
I think Frank would sub him. Randy has lost to Ricco, Josh, Overeem, Enson and Mikhail Illoukhine all by subs. Granted his loses to Ricco and Josh were to strikes, but they took him down and then had the fight stopped. Randy has a lot of trouble with the bigger, stronger fighters. Sylvia has no ground game and Gonzaga I think got to enamored with striking after KOing Mirko. He should have just used his strength and took Randy down and ended the fight
juanez13
8/4/08 10:07:22PM

Posted by zephead

I think Frank would sub him. Randy has lost to Ricco, Josh, Overeem, Enson and Mikhail Illoukhine all by subs. Granted his loses to Ricco and Josh were to strikes, but they took him down and then had the fight stopped. Randy has a lot of trouble with the bigger, stronger fighters. Sylvia has no ground game and Gonzaga I think got to enamored with striking after KOing Mirko. He should have just used his strength and took Randy down and ended the fight

Yea IMO if GG would have taken randy down (im sure he could) I think he would have won that fight rather easily, Randy has solid BJJ but no way would he have an answer to what GG has, much bigger and he could have passed the guard easy.

About Mir/Randy, if Mir is in shape and he can get a takedown I think he'd win the fight, if he cant than randy outstrikes him to a Decision or TKO.
telnights
8/4/08 10:27:31PM

Posted by zephead

I think if GG would have not got hung up striking and just copied what Barnett did to Randy in their fight he would have won easily.
Jackelope
8/4/08 11:58:42PM
I haven't seen enough cardio out of Mir yet to tell whether he'd be able to win this one. By ground skills and strength alone Mir could pose a serious threat to Couture, but my guess is Mir gasses while attempting subs and Randy obviously has a hell of a gas tank.

There's still so much more we have yet to see out of Mir. His fights never last that long so it's hard to gauge his skills. He's one of my favorite fighters but I want to see more of his skill set.

Rd. 3 TKO for Randy.