Frank Mir (prime) Vs Mark Hunt

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Frank Mir (prime) Vs Mark Hunt
POLL: Mir at his best vs Mark Hunt in the octagon
Mir 57% (27)
Hunt 43% (20)
Aaronno9
10/16/07 6:57:01PM
So i just noticed the thread about Hunt being the most dominant UFC HW if he could make the weight, and it got me thinking about some interesting matches. Who do you guys think would take this one of Mir was back to his best and Hunt made the wieght?
hotrodttt
10/16/07 7:03:42PM
Dude I think Mir would own Mark if they faught back in 03 , I mean just look at how he subbed Pete Williams
mrliquid
10/16/07 8:30:35PM
I would take Mir hands down.
cmill21
10/16/07 8:44:03PM
I'd take Hunt becasue Mir's chin is suspect.
richieb19
10/16/07 9:05:32PM

Posted by cmill21

Mir had only been KO'd by Ian Freeman in his prime, who is a beast.

Hunts entire ground game is suspect... still...
cmill21
10/16/07 9:14:37PM
Hunt's not a beast? lol. His ground game is slowly progressing lol. slowly.
warglory
10/16/07 10:02:24PM
I enjoy watching Frank fight, but who has he beaten that makes you think he could take on Hunt? The only reason why Hunt does not have more matches under his belt is because PRIDE was bought out by the UFC. I am confident that Hunt would have continued to win matches had their doors stayed open. As for Mir, I think Hunt would own him.
loonytnt
10/16/07 11:56:53PM
mir by sub
Cladrix
10/17/07 12:39:14AM
Hunt by vicious KO
Mastodon2
10/17/07 2:48:15AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by cmill21

Mir had only been KO'd by Ian Freeman in his prime, who is a beast.

Hunts entire ground game is suspect... still...

Ian has a lot of KO's and TKOs on his record, mostly against guys we know nothing about. They could be anyone, and looking at their Sherdog records won't reliabely tell us if they are hard to KO, or have sloppy defense etc.

Freeman sure didn't look like such a beast when he came up against Arlovski. He looked like even less of a beast when Manhoef KO'd him in 17 seconds. Hunt would destroy Freeman, in much the same way he would destroy Mir; a huge power punch KO.
CwB
10/17/07 3:47:10AM
wow my vote just made it tied at 50 50

this fight is hard to say cause hunt would destroy mir standing, and hunt would get destroyed laying down, but my gut says hunt
hippysmacker
10/17/07 4:08:24AM
I thi9nk Mir would be smart enough to just get a takedown and sub him in the 1rst. I have always felt Hunt was overrated in MMA, and I don't think any good grappler( like Mir) is dumb enough to stand with him. If the UFc wants to build hunt they should give him Kongo. I think Hunt would stalk and punish him the same way he did Cro-cop.
mrsmiley
10/17/07 7:00:04AM
Well I think both could of had better conditioning,but considering how well Wes Simms did against Mir,and taking into consideration I realy don't like Simms,i'm going with Hunt.

Call it BS,but that's the best logic I can make of the fight.
CornishMMA
10/17/07 8:32:22AM
I just dont understand this "prime" Mir thing that everyone says about - when was he ever in his prime and this amazing fighter that people think he was? oh was it when he got a title shot for beating Wes Sims and in it Tim gifted him a takedown then got armbarred? ok but that was 1 fight and he wouldnt of won it bar the gift takedown, then you have his other past fights, he struggles to put wes sims away x2, wow he toe holded Tank = impressive, and before that he got beat down by Ian Freeman!

Where are these top fighters that this prime Frank Mir has actually beaten??
Aaronno9
10/17/07 8:46:16AM
I only said prime becouse i know if id said mir now everybody would of voted hunt. He might not of beaten many names, but you cant deny he was a good fighter with top grappling skills, which is a good thing to have against hunt.
richieb19
10/17/07 11:57:34AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Ian has a lot of KO's and TKOs on his record, mostly against guys we know nothing about. They could be anyone, and looking at their Sherdog records won't reliabely tell us if they are hard to KO, or have sloppy defense etc.

Freeman sure didn't look like such a beast when he came up against Arlovski. He looked like even less of a beast when Manhoef KO'd him in 17 seconds. Hunt would destroy Freeman, in much the same way he would destroy Mir; a huge power punch KO.

You are denying Freeman's abilities because you don't recognize his opponents and haven't seen his fights? Ian Freeman is easily one of the best fighters to have come out of England, don't ever base your opinion on a fighter because of what you see (or don't see) on a fightfinder record, there is so much more to it. The night he steamrolled a prime Mir, his dad had died, did you find that on sherdog aswell?

My point was simply to respond to someone who said Mir's chin is suspect, and since we where discussing a prime Mir and not post-accident Mir I found it important to note that Freeman, who IS (well was anyways, he's too old now) a fantastic fighter, was the only to KO him. As far as Manhoef, Hunt and power punches are concerned, Hunt is 5-3 with 2 of his wins being splitters, he's only ever KO'd a "boxer-turned-fighter" who never saw a win, and a retiring grappler who actually gave him trouble on his feet. On the other hand, Manhoef (who is incredibly underrated) has 17 of his 18 wins coming by way of KO, most of which are brutal KO's at that!
madmarck
10/18/07 1:26:43PM
Man does anyone realize that Frank Mir is in his prime? He is back now boys. He is in shape and i doubt he has forgotten any of his BJJ skills. In fact i think its safe to say wwe are gonna be seein great thinks from him.
nubby
10/18/07 4:58:20PM

Posted by madmarck

Man does anyone realize that Frank Mir is in his prime? He is back now boys. He is in shape and i doubt he has forgotten any of his BJJ skills. In fact i think its safe to say wwe are gonna be seein great thinks from him.

I have a feeling he will be in the title shot mix very soon. All he needed was that win against Hardonk to get the confidence back. I am betting his next fight will be against Werdum or Herring or Cro Cop. All three would be good fights for him.
decken
5/19/09 5:05:32PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by madmarck