Frank Mir plans on striking with Cheick Kongo at UFC 107

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir plans on striking with Cheick Kongo at UFC 107
grappler0000
8/21/09 10:21:02AM

“I think the advantage of being well rounded is not having to force anything. As long as we’re boxing with each other, I feel very comfortable against Cheick Kongo. Obviously I don’t want to eat one of his knees, so I probably will try to strike with him a lot because if I just try to dive at him there’s always a chance of taking one of those.”

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir dishes on his planned fight against the hard-hitting Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 from the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee on December 12. Did his TKO win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 over-inflate his confidence in the stand-up game? Or does the Las Vegas native have the arsenal to stand and bang with the Parisian — who is known for his poor wrestling defense?

Link
SamPan
8/21/09 10:27:36AM
Might be alone on this. But I think Mir's gonna surprise us with his stand up. He looked great against Big Nog. I'm not saying it's gonna end by TKO in Mir's favor, but I think he could rock Kongo a couple times. He's not a dumb guy either. He'll go for the TD if **** gets tough
breakdown5
8/21/09 10:32:44AM
Does it really make sense to gameplan to fight an opponent where he's strongest? I don't think so, and I hope Mir is just putting this out there to mix things up. Mir's striking has come a long way, but Kongo is still better. Mir should take it down and get the quick sub stoppage. I'm pretty sure it would be smarter to get a quick sub victory than to get banged out on the feet and risk cuts/injuries that could keep you sidelined.
Mayhem13
8/21/09 10:37:26AM
Hopefully Franks got a nice medical plan to go with the game plan...he may just need it.
AchillesHeel
8/21/09 10:51:41AM
I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Mir is playing pre-match head-games here.
mentalcase
8/21/09 11:02:12AM
maybe he means hes gonna use some strikes to set up the take down
ChokeUout
8/21/09 11:04:29AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Mir is playing pre-match head-games here.

I agree with this guy right here. Mir's striking has come a long way, but can he strike with Kongo? WHo knows? However, we all know Kongo can't hang with Mir on the ground, and I'm assuming that he's bluffing with these comments.
joshryanshepherd
8/21/09 11:23:48AM
It would be nice to see Mir get a win over a good opponent like Kongo, but i dont see it happening if he wants to strike.
Rush
8/21/09 11:31:26AM
I hope that what Mir says is true.
KaibaThedon
8/21/09 1:18:16PM
He's gonna go for the TD and submit Kongo... he'll be watching footage from UFC99, and realize that if he catches one of those bombs, he could be goin down in a heap.
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/09 1:48:52PM
Someone should tell Mir to watch Kongo's last fight.

I dont think Mir has a chin like Cain, so if Mir gets dropped by Kongo which I think he will, Kongo will pounce on him and finish him or just straight up KO him.
BigBadAl
8/21/09 2:03:29PM

Posted by breakdown5

Does it really make sense to gameplan to fight an opponent where he's strongest? I don't think so, and I hope Mir is just putting this out there to mix things up. Mir's striking has come a long way, but Kongo is still better. Mir should take it down and get the quick sub stoppage. I'm pretty sure it would be smarter to get a quick sub victory than to get banged out on the feet and risk cuts/injuries that could keep you sidelined.

Does it really make sense to come up with a gameplan and then give it to your opponent? No, Mir knows how weak Kongo is on the ground and that's where he will get this fight as soon as he can.
Giant_Ochai
8/21/09 2:13:31PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Someone should tell Mir to watch Kongo's last fight.

I dont think Mir has a chin like Cain, so if Mir gets dropped by Kongo which I think he will, Kongo will pounce on him and finish him or just straight up KO him.

More importantly, Mir has nothing compared to Cain in the wrestling department. Mir's Nevada state championship means quite little compared to multiple All-American finishes. Kongo can defend Mir's takedowns and destroy him.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/21/09 3:11:03PM
i hope kongo knocks the jeff curran outta mirs mouth
seanfu
8/21/09 6:38:43PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

i hope kongo knocks the jeff curran outta mirs mouth

....and Miguel Torres
prozacnation1978
8/21/09 7:18:15PM
i hope he is joking??

take him down and sub him, easy done with,
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/09 7:43:37PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i hope he is joking??

take him down and sub him, easy done with,

seriously! i thought this was going to be an easy pick, but Mir wants to stand and trade with a guy like Kongo?!?! Kongo may just get the easy KO after all... but im sure Mir is just saying this to get Kongo to believe this is going to be a stand up war and not focus on TD defense........
MMA-San
8/21/09 8:06:12PM

Frank Mir plans on striking with Cheick Kongo at UFC 107

Should read:

Frank Mir plans on losing to Cheick Kongo at UFC 107
mrsmiley
8/21/09 8:53:36PM
I don't know what it is,but something about this matchup just seems very weird to me.
I say Mir is going to come out and be a little too risky and come close to getting finished a few times,but rides out a UD victory.
StorminYourman
8/21/09 9:03:11PM
Mir by sub round 1.
Come on the guy is pompous and all but he is not that stupid!