Frank Mir: "If I Had to Pick a Guy to Beat Anderson Silva, I’d Pick Forrest Griffin"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: "If I Had to Pick a Guy to Beat Anderson Silva, I’d Pick Forrest Griffin"
emfleek
8/5/09 4:29:12PM
"The one thing that maybe could be a wrench in (Anderson's) machine and his style, is that he is so great of a counter fighter. He’s so skilled with these movements. If I could pick a guy that could beat him, it’s a guy that could rough him up. Okay, fight ugly, fight mean, come forward. Are you gonna take a shot or two?"

STORY
scobac
8/5/09 5:29:48PM
frank mir and Michael DiSanto's perspective of this fight really has me thinking, im not sure but I think I might take the smart money off anderson and put it on the underdog in forrest. plus "law of averages" say that anderson has to lose sometime.
Tank5000
8/5/09 5:40:40PM
HAha, and I bet Frank Mir would've picked himself to defeat Lesnar in their second fight too....
jahdoug
8/5/09 6:01:31PM
see the last interview on sherdog he says the exact same thing. Sooner or Later someone will catch him with or in something, someone will "beat him up"listen
Aether
8/5/09 6:28:11PM
heh... If I had to pick a guy who's style plays most perfectly into Anderson's hands, I would pick Forrst Griffin. He's a sloppy striker who overcommits to his strikes and leaves himself open to counters and Anderson is a counter-puncher.
GOTYACOLDJUNK
8/5/09 6:42:37PM
Forrest has a chance at a gnp win,thats it,or so most people think.Me,well,call me crazy,but maybe just maybe, Forrest lays a whippin on Silva,whats that mean,really?I see 3 rds. of sparring and the more telling blows and busier fighter gettn the nod.I would just love to see Forrest come out swingin and test Silva's whiskers.Anderson is deffinately a stud as a middleweight,but when ya stretch yourself out there,not all times it goes your way.Forrest by heelhook!!
Irish_Pride
8/5/09 7:39:54PM
I really think Forrest has a great chance at winning this fight. If he can take Anderson down, he can control him on the ground and just punish him with strikes for 3 rounds. I see this fight going to decision, I honestly don't see either of these guys submitting one another or knocking out one another.
prozacnation1978
8/5/09 8:18:54PM
WOW !!! THAT IS A BOLD STATEMENT
i honestly thought mir was gonna say himself!!
scobac
8/5/09 8:30:08PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

WOW !!! THAT IS A BOLD STATEMENT
i honestly thought mir was gonna say himself!!

??
MisterFreeze
8/5/09 10:02:18PM
The issue i'm struggling with in deciding however, is that if Evans and Jardine can KO/TKO Forrest, I have no doubts Silva can.
Currently I have Forrest picked for the win. But I may end up changing it after the weigh ins.
cowcatcher
8/5/09 10:12:55PM
im just shocked he didnt say miguel torres
jae_1833
8/5/09 10:33:48PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

The issue i'm struggling with in deciding however, is that if Evans and Jardine can KO/TKO Forrest, I have no doubts Silva can.
Currently I have Forrest picked for the win. But I may end up changing it after the weigh ins.

I am thinking the same way....the only reason I have Forrest picked for the decision is due to A Silva's lackluster performances of late. If Silva comes out strong I would be shocked to see it not end in a highlight reel KO.
Rush
8/5/09 10:52:00PM

IMO, the only thing that is giving people any shred of hope that Forrest could beat Silva is the fact that they are hanging on to his win over Shogun and the fact Rampage lost a decision to him because he was out pointed in a single round. Other than those two wins, Forrest really doesn't have any high profile wins since he came to the UFC.

We all know that any fighter has a chance in MMA, so making the statement "There will always be a chance to beat Silva" is kind of obvious to the point of stupidity. Of course there is a chance. This is elite level of sports and (as you see in the Olympics all the time) stuff happens and unexpected people end up winning.

Putting that aside, Anderson has beat better grapplers and better strikers than Forrest is. Forrest is coming off a KO. Forrest has a habit of letting his opponents use his head like a punching bag. Forrest is an aggressive fighter. All aspects of this matchup are advantageous to Silva.

In fact Forrest's habit of getting hit so much in his fights will lead him down the path of deterioration, if it hasn't started already, very soon.

Silva may not finish this fight, but I am sure he will dominate
bigbubbano23
8/5/09 11:13:37PM
If i had to pick someone whose opinion mattered, it wouldn't be frank mir
scobac
8/5/09 11:21:27PM
IMO, the only thing that is giving people any shred of hope that Forrest could beat Silva is the fact that they are hanging on to his win over Shogun and the fact Rampage lost a decision to him because he was out pointed in a single round. Other than those two wins, Forrest really doesn't have any high profile wins since he came to the UFC.

hahaha, listen to what you said. down play his wins all you want but those are BIG wins. ehh come on now, dont forget he lost a very sh!t decision to tito that he should have won. let's just call him out for bein a loser, you know cause he lost to top comp...haha. get the jardine ko out of your judgment it does no good. this is a former champ and prob a future champ
ncordless
8/6/09 12:21:42AM
I don't know... sounds kind of like what Hendo tried to do in rnd 2.
wrona666
8/6/09 12:30:45AM
I have no idea what Mir is talking about because Forrest's style plays into Silva's perfectly........I see KO win for Silva whenever Forrest decided he want's to attack.....
shevtheman
8/6/09 8:13:58AM

Posted by wrona666

I have no idea what Mir is talking about because Forrest's style plays into Silva's perfectly........I see KO win for Silva whenever Forrest decided he want's to attack.....

Yeah i agree, sometimes Mir just talks and talks and has people believing what he's saying is the truth. If i was gonna pick a fighter that couldnt beat Anderson it would be Griffin. Im not saying he'll lose definetly, im saying his style of all action will not favour him in this fight. However, i do not expect Forrest to go after Anderson as much as some people think and as much as the UFC expect him to. Hes become more methodical in his approach recently and i think a lot of the fight will be low kicks and Anderson checking them and both circling a lot...if Forrest comes for Silva hes gonna get caught and proof has shown when he gets caught he goes down (whether its KO or gnp finish).
emfleek
8/6/09 8:27:57AM

Posted by cowcatcher

im just shocked he didnt say miguel torres

Rush
8/7/09 11:05:57AM

Posted by scobac

hahaha, listen to what you said. down play his wins all you want but those are BIG wins. ehh come on now, dont forget he lost a very sh!t decision to tito that he should have won. let's just call him out for bein a loser, you know cause he lost to top comp...haha. get the jardine ko out of your judgment it does no good. this is a former champ and prob a future champ

On paper they are big wins, but in reality it is common knowledge (at least to educated fans) that the Rampage and Shogun Forrest fought those nights were not their usual selves. Regardless of how Forrest does against Silva, I would still pick Shogun and Rampage in a rematch over Forrest.

Regarding Tito, well, if have been following some of my older posts regarding him, you'll know that I don't consider him to be a top fighter any more. I might have a different opinion of the Forrest-Tito decision if I watch the fight again, but I didn't think it was close at all. Are you sure Cecil Peoples wasn't judging that night?

I don't think Forrest has the punching power to compete with Silva in the box. I don't think he has takedown ability to get Silva to the ground. For Forrest to try and out point Silva, he will have to either trade with him or get him to the ground for a lay and pray victory. Both of those scenarios put Forrest in a position where he'll get hit.

I see the fight as a feeling out for Silva in the first and finish in the second. I would be very interested if Forrest proves me wrong because I would love to see a winning formula for being Silva, but I just don't see it happening.

About Forrest being a future champ, I don't see it happening. The way he fights I give him another couple fights against heavy hitters like Rampage, Shogun and Silva before he is the next Chuck Liddell (as in a deteriorating ex-champ).