Frank Mir's Mental Health

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir's Mental Health
MisterFreeze
3/28/10 1:02:01PM
I'm concerned for Frank Mir!
I mean, after he lost to Lesnar there were reports of him spiralling into a depression and then he turned into a crazy stalker, obsessed with Lesnar.
The way he spoke coming into this fight with Carwin, he really used some heavy words, he sounded focused and ready to destroy.

But now that he lost, I wonder if he is going to be ok?? Mir doesn't seem like the guy who knows how to lose. I wonder if this loss and the fact that he won't be able to get a chance to avenge his loss to Lesnar is going to send him into another depression??

Should Mir seek therapy?
DCRage
3/28/10 1:07:09PM
He said recently he wasn't obsessed with Lesnar. Just in finding a way to beat him.
Biggz
3/28/10 1:11:45PM

Posted by DCRage

He said recently he wasn't obsessed with Lesnar. Just in finding a way to beat him.

Now he can be obessed with finding a way to beat Carwin. I dont want to say he was looking past Carwin, but maybe he was more focused on Lesnar. Long story short....suicide watch for Mir.
MisterFreeze
3/28/10 1:18:25PM

Posted by Biggz

Posted by DCRage

Now he can be obessed with finding a way to beat Carwin. I dont want to say he was looking past Carwin, but maybe he was more focused on Lesnar. Long story short....suicide watch for Mir.

LOL, thats what I was thinking. Maybe he should be committed for the next couple weeks.
cloud301336
3/28/10 1:30:32PM
the bottom line is that frank mir, even though he denies it, is obsessed with Lesnar. he considerate too much on Lesnar and not enough on Carwin. that was his down fall.
MisterFreeze
3/28/10 1:45:49PM

Posted by cloud301336

the bottom line is that frank mir, even though he denies it, is obsessed with Lesnar. he considerate too much on Lesnar and not enough on Carwin. that was his down fall.

Yeah I believe Frank Mir thought he had already won and just assumed he was gonna get another shot at Lesnar.

I gotta say I'm happy though. I wasn't ready to see Mir/Lesnar 3. I want to see Lesnar fight a few different HW's before another fight with Mir.
TRPHYTRUCK01
3/28/10 1:53:05PM
Mir believed the hype a little to much ... lol

Twenty20Dollars
3/28/10 3:23:10PM
Even during the countdown to UFC 111 I felt like I heard more about lesnar even though he wasnt on the card.
Ordep
3/28/10 4:00:22PM
He found the way to beat Lesnar already, let Carwin take the shot.
sbulldavid
3/28/10 4:11:06PM
Mir came out flat, it was like he wasn't even in the fight, I don't know what he was thinking or if he was thinking at all.
ChokeUout
3/28/10 10:18:05PM
Calm down everyone. Mir will get a fight he can win next, and after Carwin beats brock, we'll see Mir/Lesnar 3.

That being siad, I'm worried about the mental health of Frank Mir only because I'm afraid Carwin gave him Brain Damage from that beatdown he gave him.
State_Champ
3/28/10 10:59:57PM
I thought it was funny when i read on another site someone said something to the effect of: In Mir's mind, Mir's too cool to move his head and avoid getting hit.

made me chuckle a bit because he didn't move his head against Lesnar last time and he didn't move his head against Carwin (that's probably because he didn't know where his head was after he took the first uppercut)
Jackelope
3/28/10 11:18:31PM

Posted by Ordep

He found the way to beat Lesnar already, let Carwin take the shot.

LOL I tried to prop but couldn't. Good stuff though
mrsmiley
3/29/10 12:16:20AM
Franks mental health can definently be questioned as of lately.
It would probably do him some good to step away for a minute and look at the situation from the outside. Fighting isn't everything. Their's a whole world out their and to be obsessed with one dude who talked smack to you after a beatdown isn't worth the additional hell your putting yourself through.
Now that's easier said than done.
It would have to be devistating to get humilated in front of millions of people like that,but it's not like Frank is without his own victory against the big,bad Lesnar man. And he's certainly still one of the best HW's in the game.
Look on the bright side Franky.
emfleek
3/29/10 9:21:14AM
We sure do have plenty of mental health professionals on this site.

Aether
3/29/10 9:43:07AM
I don't think he'll be as bothered by a loss to Carwin, because Carwin is a nice guy. I think if Mir had beaten Carwin and then lost to Lesnar a second time the guy would lose his ****.
Caesarrrr
3/29/10 2:18:38PM
I'd definitely agree that he should take some time off and relax a bit. I think he'll probably be worse now. I know he's been KOed before, but after the ammount of hits he took after he was out, things like that mess with your psyche, give you nightmares. I think Mir needs to relax a bit, and he'll definitely be tentative in his next appearance.
TheCatFather
3/29/10 2:24:22PM
I think Mir was too relaxed almost to the point where he didn't care and maybe Miragliotta just wanted to see him get PWNED, but nevertheless the dirty boxing of Carwin is nasty and Brock needs to very careful. Mir didn't seem like he wanted to even be in the cage with Carwin. I don't get Mir, sometimes he looks like a champ and other times, like Sat, he looks like he doesn't enjoy life. IDK where Mir can go from here but another title shot is far away with all the young guns stepping up.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
RiseUp21
3/29/10 7:28:42PM
I wanna know whats MORE important to Mir, the title or beating Lesnar again.
Aether
3/29/10 7:35:40PM

Posted by RiseUp21

I think it's pretty clearly beating Lesnar. I think if Carwin wins in their fight Mir would immediately be asking for the rematch instead of talking about the belt. I would bet my house on it.

I think he's so fixated on Lesnar because he's a cocky guy and Lesnar was pretty belittling after their last fight. I think he doesn't have all that much problem losing to a respectful/humble fighter, but when he gets beaten and then has it rubbed in his face, his pride can't stand it.
RiseUp21
3/29/10 8:15:53PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by RiseUp21

I think it's pretty clearly beating Lesnar. I think if Carwin wins in their fight Mir would immediately be asking for the rematch instead of talking about the belt. I would bet my house on it.

I think he's so fixated on Lesnar because he's a cocky guy and Lesnar was pretty belittling after their last fight. I think he doesn't have all that much problem losing to a respectful/humble fighter, but when he gets beaten and then has it rubbed in his face, his pride can't stand it.

True, but the reason I couldnt be too sure is that Mir has repeatedly said "he has my belt".
Rush
3/29/10 11:28:53PM
I think Mir got what he deserved. Another solid beating that is unquestionably legitimate. The guy needs more reality checks than any other fighter I can think of.

If he leaves MMA for whatever reason, I will not miss him. He has some serious issues and the way he deals with them never ceases to annoy me.
vomitshovel
3/30/10 4:01:54AM
Yeah aren't we lucky we have all these guys giving us their expert opinion on a fighter and person they've never met.
Good to see the psychologist naturals coming out of the woodwork, keep up the psycho analysing and we'll REALLY get somewhere.
I agree Mir wasn't in the right mind set for this fight and Carwin is the type of guy you have to THOROUGHLY prepare for.
At the end of the day Carwin beat Mir down and Mir just needs some pick-me-up fights to get back into his comfort zone.
He needs to give his opponents some respect like he did with Kongo.
Then he usually walks away better off
RiseUp21
3/30/10 10:45:31AM

Posted by vomitshovel

Yeah aren't we lucky we have all these guys giving us their expert opinion on a fighter and person they've never met.
Good to see the psychologist naturals coming out of the woodwork, keep up the psycho analysing and we'll REALLY get somewhere.
I agree Mir wasn't in the right mind set for this fight and Carwin is the type of guy you have to THOROUGHLY prepare for.
At the end of the day Carwin beat Mir down and Mir just needs some pick-me-up fights to get back into his comfort zone.

Hypocrisy 101.
emfleek
3/30/10 10:53:57AM
So you follow this...

Posted by vomitshovel

...up with this???

Posted by vomitshovel

None of us know what kind of "mindset" Mir had going in to this fight. All of these accusations and observances of his mental health are laughable. How about we just chalk it up to Carwin having (and executing) the better gameplan?

Until Mir's psychiatric records are made public (which will not happen), let's not be so quick to diagnose the guy.
Jiu_Boxu
3/30/10 12:08:22PM
Mentally he'll be in trouble right now no doubt, when your career hits a block like that you're bound to struggle then obviously all the history with Lesnar will tumble down.

Maybe another big fight would set him straight, although Cain & JDS look too dangerous at the moment, could bury him altogether in UFC.
MisterFreeze
3/30/10 1:11:42PM

Posted by emfleek

So you follow this...

Posted by vomitshovel

...up with this???

Posted by vomitshovel

None of us know what kind of "mindset" Mir had going in to this fight. All of these accusations and observances of his mental health are laughable. How about we just chalk it up to Carwin having (and executing) the better gameplan?

Until Mir's psychiatric records are made public (which will not happen), let's not be so quick to diagnose the guy.

I would just like to mention that when I started this thread about his mental health, I was referring to how Mir admitted in interviews that he spiralled into a depression after his loss to Brock. And I was simply wondering how much worse that depression could return now that he lost to Carwin and lost his chance at a third fight with Brock.
With as passionately as Mir talks about fighting, it seems like this kinda loss will hit him hard. Thats all I was trying to say.