Frank Mir's Goals For 2011: Retire Nogueira And KO Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir's Goals For 2011: Retire Nogueira And KO Lesnar
Next Page »
DCRage
7/8/10 9:43:00AM
2 goals that boxing guru Jimmy Clifford thinks are attainable in comments made to The Las Vegas Sun. "We believe Mir is going to be the guy to knock out Brock Lesnar. Me, GSP, Freddie Roach - we all agreed Mir can do it. We see holes in his game we know we can expose. If you're asking me who would Frank Mir want to fight right now, it's Brock. He'd love to fight him. Realistically, that's not going to happen so we want that Nog fight. Nog claims staph infection affected his chin in the last one. I don't know how that happens, but I think if Mir gets a chance at Nogueira again, he'll knock him out early and retire him. Right now, he's at 252 and his best fighting weight is between 240 and 245 pounds. He's not going to stay at 265 to fight Brock again ... In Mir's mind, it's about martial arts vs. this big gorilla who really is just a big gorilla."

Article
emfleek
7/8/10 9:45:48AM
BigIP
7/8/10 10:11:57AM
I think Mir is delusional. He should be fighting Nelson to avenge his BJJ lost to him and forget about Brock.
Boo_Radley21
7/8/10 10:54:07AM
I used to think it would be cool to see Frank get his title back after losing it from the accident, but I have little to no respect for him anymore he just bugs the hell out of me he's so cocky and annoying
SmileR
7/8/10 10:55:27AM
He could in all seriousness beat Nog again but Brock has got his number. Mir didn't look like he could do anything against Brocks take downs and G&P. Its a shame really as Mir is a serious threat to anyone without the size of Carwin and Lesnar.
sbulldavid
7/8/10 11:38:41AM
Mir is capable of beating anybody, he just out thinks himself too often. I felt he should of beaten Carwin, I have no idea why he was trying to overpower Carwin. Now he wants to outbox Lesner, that is only going to lead to him ending up on his back half mounted. I think the way for him to beat Lesner is to keep it in the middle and keep that guard active. Survive the first two rounds and Mir would pick apart Lesner.
Hendo67
7/8/10 11:47:19AM
Mir and Lesnar fought twice, Lesnar won 99% of it. I don't like Mir, and i really straight up don't think he is that great.

ziegler3334
7/8/10 12:28:03PM
Mir is still in the UFC's top 5 HWs, but he's not dominate. I cannot stand how he talks about other fighters. He is so in love with himself, whatever he thinks he talks about like it's common fact. He is always talking like he is a true "mixed martial artist" fighting for the good of MMA against phonies like Brock. Actually Frank, these guys are the new generation. If he keeps running his mouth about it, he'll look even dumber when (actually if he earns a shot ever again) Brock smashes him again. Seeing Lesnar v. Mir 2 kind of made me think of GSP/Hughes or Hughes/Gracie. This sport is still evolving at a rapid pace and Mir may be on his way to gatekeeper status.

Also, while I'm ranting, Mir complains about Lesnar being a disrespectful a**, but he is the goat of the UFC right now. How many fighters deserve more respect that Nog?? Not many. But that doesn't stop Frank, cuz after all, they're all just living in Frank's world.
chickmagnet
7/8/10 12:51:54PM
These comments are foolish..
Giant_Ochai
7/8/10 12:57:02PM

Posted by SmileR

He could in all seriousness beat Nog again but Brock has got his number. Mir didn't look like he could do anything against Brocks take downs and G&P. Its a shame really as Mir is a serious threat to anyone without the size of Carwin and Lesnar.

It's a shame that Mir is inferior to two superior fighters?
Pookie
7/8/10 1:29:14PM
At first Frank Mir was too small, so he bulked up and packed on alot of muscle. Then he fought brock and realized that he was still too small. So he got even bigger and tipped the scales at 260+ against Carwin. Cutting weight to even make the heavyweight threshold. But then he realized that he was too big. He didnt have the man strength that comes from filling in at that weight over a long period time, Nor did he have the speed that he used to flaunt when he was smaller and lighter.

So now he's cutting off about 20 pounds of mostly muscle to weigh-in at a not so ripped 245 for his next fight. Because this time, all of his problems will be solved with this perfect mix of Speed and Power.

In all actuality, doing this to his body is probably going to cause his career to burnout faster than expected. The body just cant support this type of shenanigans as you get older and older. Also, his body weight raised 20 pounds in two fights, and now hes cutting all that off again for his next fight. Thats about 40 pounds of weight being added and subtracted from his frame, this is the exact type of thing that killed Riddick Bowe's career. You just dont feel as comfortable with your weight if you've been doing that much work to change it.
DCRage
7/8/10 2:19:25PM
He might get his wish sooner. He's getting Nog at 119.
brutalbones
7/8/10 2:34:06PM
unreallistic expectations.
TheBestEVER
7/8/10 2:41:24PM
Sheesh give me a break
jlock003
7/8/10 3:35:18PM
Wow the Haterade is flowing! Look Mir is a mind games kinda guy. He has done this stuff since the old days before the wreck. Go back and watch his pre-fight interviews before the Wes Sims fights and you will see what I'm talking about. Hell even the Sylvia fight was the same. He does that stuff to get into the opponents head. Truthfully it nearly worked in the second Lesnar fight. He had Brock livid, but he didn't count on brock working on that wierd half-nelson from half guard. The bottom line in the second fight is that Brock actually game planned. HIs camp knew that Mir would go for the legs b/c that is what you do against wrestlers. Great wresters in mma have always been suseptable to leg locks. Mir had a good strategy, but he didn't count on Brock landing on top of him and trapping his upper body when he went for the leg. The guy does have good stand up, he is extremely well rounded, and it takes time to understand what your best weight is to fight at. He had never done any weight training before and it's hard to learn to balance all of the aspects of mma. The guy dropped Big Nog and he also dropped Kongo before sinking in that nasty Guillotine. He definitely isn't a candidate to talk about a guy who the sport has just passed by. He just had been out game planned in the last two losses. Carwin put him against the cage instead of standing and striking, and Lesnar punished him from half guard. It happens.
MaxOne
7/8/10 5:04:39PM
I think it'd be pretty exciting if Mir could accomplish these goals but I think the drop in weight was probably a bad idea.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/8/10 5:05:52PM
Mir's gonna knock out Lesnar?

Good luck with that, buddy.
bjj1605
7/8/10 11:36:27PM

Posted by ziegler3334

Mir is still in the UFC's top 5 HWs, but he's not dominate. I cannot stand how he talks about other fighters. He is so in love with himself, whatever he thinks he talks about like it's common fact. He is always talking like he is a true "mixed martial artist" fighting for the good of MMA against phonies like Brock. Actually Frank, these guys are the new generation. If he keeps running his mouth about it, he'll look even dumber when (actually if he earns a shot ever again) Brock smashes him again. Seeing Lesnar v. Mir 2 kind of made me think of GSP/Hughes or Hughes/Gracie. This sport is still evolving at a rapid pace and Mir may be on his way to gatekeeper status.

Also, while I'm ranting, Mir complains about Lesnar being a disrespectful a**, but he is the goat of the UFC right now. How many fighters deserve more respect that Nog?? Not many. But that doesn't stop Frank, cuz after all, they're all just living in Frank's world.

Brock Lesnar is NOT.... repeat... is NOT the evolution of the sport. He's a throwback. He's Dan Severn, Marc Coleman, and Mark Kerr. He is a huge a** wrestler with little ground game and horrible stand up.

I think Frank Mir will crush Nog even worse than the first time. Likely in the first round. I think he will win whatever fights he has to in order to get back to the title. Once he gets there things are a little bit less sure.

Brock has shown that his wrestling, size, and submission defense are good enough to handle Mir on the floor like he's a jelly fish on the beach vs a kid with stick. I've honestly always thought Mir's jits was overrated anyway. He's good for a HW and has good submissions, but his positional grappling isn't very impressive. He's got nothing on Nog or Werdum on the floor.

Standing Mir will embarrass Brock. There is no way Brock can improve enough to even put up a fight against Mir standing. But can Mir come up with an answer to stop Brock's takedown? Thats the key and he didn't show anything to make me think he could in the first two fights.

But I don't think his comments are as out there as you're all acting.
Rush
7/9/10 1:36:28AM

Posted by emfleek

You took the emoticon right from my computer.
Rush
7/9/10 1:38:33AM

Posted by bjj1605

Brock Lesnar is NOT.... repeat... is NOT the evolution of the sport. He's a throwback. He's Dan Severn, Marc Coleman, and Mark Kerr. He is a huge a** wrestler with little ground game and horrible stand up.

I guess this says a lot about the top of the HW division that he has finished convincingly.
bjj1605
7/9/10 11:53:43AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by bjj1605

I guess this says a lot about the top of the HW division that he has finished convincingly.

Why? It isn't an insult to Brock. Why anyone would expect that that style couldn't still be effective is beyond me. I think the "evolution of the sport" is one of the most exaggerated and over hyped aspects of MMA conversation.

I don't buy that the stars of yesterday couldn't hang with fighters from today. I don't believe that every fighter now is faster, stronger, better conditioned, and more technical than every fighter from ten years ago. I think a guy like Matt Hughes in his prime would be able to do just as well now as he did back then. He had sick wrestling and slams, was very explosive, and had a deadly mix of ground and pound and submissions. With a game like that he didn't need striking.

So far Brock hasn't needed striking either. And why should he? He's a monster and he's got the wrestling credentials to back it up.

I think him being a throw back more legitimizes the early days of the sport than it does delegitimize the current competition. I also think that in the end Brock will lose in similar ways as the fighters who came before him did.

NOTE: Here's another reason I think Fedor would beat Brock Lesnar. And why I'll be picking Cain Velasquez.
jlock003
7/9/10 1:49:59PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Rush

Posted by bjj1605

Why? It isn't an insult to Brock. Why anyone would expect that that style couldn't still be effective is beyond me. I think the "evolution of the sport" is one of the most exaggerated and over hyped aspects of MMA conversation.

I don't buy that the stars of yesterday couldn't hang with fighters from today. I don't believe that every fighter now is faster, stronger, better conditioned, and more technical than every fighter from ten years ago. I think a guy like Matt Hughes in his prime would be able to do just as well now as he did back then. He had sick wrestling and slams, was very explosive, and had a deadly mix of ground and pound and submissions. With a game like that he didn't need striking.

So far Brock hasn't needed striking either. And why should he? He's a monster and he's got the wrestling credentials to back it up.

I think him being a throw back more legitimizes the early days of the sport than it does delegitimize the current competition. I also think that in the end Brock will lose in similar ways as the fighters who came before him did.

NOTE: Here's another reason I think Fedor would beat Brock Lesnar. And why I'll be picking Cain Velasquez.

I keep propping random people just because the playground won't let me prop several people again...you happen to be one of them. Apparently I need to spread it around. I don't necessarily agree with everything that you just wrote from my first glance, but it sure as hell makes me think more than the majority of the rest of the posts (No disrespect to anybody). Nice observation.
BustedKnuckle
7/9/10 8:19:06PM
Well Mir definatly has the skills to beat both men again. But I dont think Nog would retire and after last Saturday definatly dont think he will KO Lesnar.
theruler_
7/9/10 8:43:58PM
Things to do;

1. avenge loss to pe de pano cruz
2. beat up lesnar
3. end nogueiras career

he forgot step 1
Rush
7/9/10 10:06:37PM

Posted by bjj1605

If that is the way you feel then I understand your statement, but I wholeheartedly disagree. That is not to say that I think EVERY fighter of today is superior in all aspects of MMA, but if you plotted them on a graph (fighter # vs. overall skill) you would see two Gaussian distributions where peak of the present fighters' distribution would be positioned on the x-axis at a point of higher skill, strength and endurance.

The fighters of today are (in general) much more well rounded and better conditioned than they classic wrestlers. Keep in mind Severn, Colman, Kerr were fighting guys much smaller than them (in general). Kerr was taking drugs and as soon as he stopped, his career fell apart. Colman struggled in the UFC and Pride just as much as he had success. I don't think Hughes would have man handled the stronger and more well rounded WW fighters of today.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have won fights or be competitive, but they would not have been champions (by far).

That being said, my comment about Brock was not meant as an insult to Brock. Many people criticize Brock for being 1-D and unskilled (only size and strength) but I say if they say that then they are saying that all the fighters that lose to him (in a convincing fashion) do not have the skill to hang with him. If size and strength are such trivial aspects of the MMA game, why are the other fighters lacking them? All aspects of MMA should be treated equally as no part of the game (technique or fitness related) is trivial.

As for Brock losing in a way the other fighters did, I disagree. Of course all things come to an end and so will Brocks reign. However, the difference between Brock's situation and the other wrestlers is that Brock is behind the curve in skill, whereas the other guys were on or ahead of the curve. The other fighters caught up and they started losing. Brock is now doing the catching up and he is only going to get harder to beat as he learns more. He is at the stage a lot of TUF guys were; that part of the learning curve where you get noticeably better faster than the guys that are (near) peaking. In other words, I don't think Brock has peaked in his skill yet, which will make him harder to beat with each fight.

As far as Brock legitimizing the early days of the sport, I don't think he does, nor do I think anyone has to. The sport and its players have evolved since UFC 1 and I think the early days are just a legitimate as they are now, just in slightly different ways.

As far as Cain beating Brock, the only way I see it happening is if the fight stays on the feet for 5 rounds and he out points him with technical striking, which will be dangerous considering that leaves a lot of time for Brock to land a bomb. I don't see Cain out wrestling Brock. I think it will be another W for Brock, but time will tell.
CCPRIDE99
7/12/10 9:15:14PM
cain velasquez is the evolution of the sport. just let him talk to the same guys frank mir and alistair overeem did about putting on weight and hell be unstoppable
bjj1605
5/30/12 10:19:48PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by bjj1605

If that is the way you feel then I understand your statement, but I wholeheartedly disagree. That is not to say that I think EVERY fighter of today is superior in all aspects of MMA, but if you plotted them on a graph (fighter # vs. overall skill) you would see two Gaussian distributions where peak of the present fighters' distribution would be positioned on the x-axis at a point of higher skill, strength and endurance.

The fighters of today are (in general) much more well rounded and better conditioned than they classic wrestlers. Keep in mind Severn, Colman, Kerr were fighting guys much smaller than them (in general). Kerr was taking drugs and as soon as he stopped, his career fell apart. Colman struggled in the UFC and Pride just as much as he had success. I don't think Hughes would have man handled the stronger and more well rounded WW fighters of today.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have won fights or be competitive, but they would not have been champions (by far).

That being said, my comment about Brock was not meant as an insult to Brock. Many people criticize Brock for being 1-D and unskilled (only size and strength) but I say if they say that then they are saying that all the fighters that lose to him (in a convincing fashion) do not have the skill to hang with him. If size and strength are such trivial aspects of the MMA game, why are the other fighters lacking them? All aspects of MMA should be treated equally as no part of the game (technique or fitness related) is trivial.

As for Brock losing in a way the other fighters did, I disagree. Of course all things come to an end and so will Brocks reign. However, the difference between Brock's situation and the other wrestlers is that Brock is behind the curve in skill, whereas the other guys were on or ahead of the curve. The other fighters caught up and they started losing. Brock is now doing the catching up and he is only going to get harder to beat as he learns more. He is at the stage a lot of TUF guys were; that part of the learning curve where you get noticeably better faster than the guys that are (near) peaking. In other words, I don't think Brock has peaked in his skill yet, which will make him harder to beat with each fight.

As far as Brock legitimizing the early days of the sport, I don't think he does, nor do I think anyone has to. The sport and its players have evolved since UFC 1 and I think the early days are just a legitimate as they are now, just in slightly different ways.

As far as Cain beating Brock, the only way I see it happening is if the fight stays on the feet for 5 rounds and he out points him with technical striking, which will be dangerous considering that leaves a lot of time for Brock to land a bomb. I don't see Cain out wrestling Brock. I think it will be another W for Brock, but time will tell.

I was just looking over old posts and I felt the need to respond to this. Never saw your post the first time around.

I'm not going to address the predictions about Brock, obviously that ship has sailed.

All I want to say is that I wasn't claiming the sport hasn't evolved AT ALL. Just that I feel the "evolution of MMA" is talked about way too much and way overblown.

The worst culprit is Joe Rogan.

Fighters are getting better....but at the end of the day there are only so many ways to punch a guy in the face or choke him out.

The evolution has been much smaller than most fans and commentators would like us to believe.
george112
5/30/12 11:08:51PM
Mir is butthurt
KingCmb
5/30/12 11:40:30PM

Posted by george112

Mir is butthurt

why are we doing this right now? when it was said fighting brock again was an option and nog still thought he should fight mir again

lets all move on
george112
5/30/12 11:51:51PM

Posted by the-king

Posted by george112

Mir is butthurt

why are we doing this right now? when it was said fighting brock again was an option and nog still thought he should fight mir again

lets all move on

If I knew my post was going to offend you I wouldn't have posted. However its just a forum post.
Pages: [1] 2