Frank Mir might fight NOG at UFC 85....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir might fight NOG at UFC 85....
kastro_316
4/24/08 4:00:13PM

Can either guy submit each other? I dont think so...might be a boring fight

http://dreamfighters.com/site/index.php?action=detail&id=1209066070
prozacnation1978
4/24/08 4:02:43PM
it isn't nog, they might move the ufc 86 match or mir vs mccully to ufc 85
Twenty20Dollars
4/24/08 4:04:10PM
i highly doubt it's going to happen at 85, somewhat too later to sign a title fight for that card and it already has like 13 fights on it.

then mir and big nog are talked about as coaches for TUF8 so i didnt think they are fighting, and I dont think mir deserves a title shot yet.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/24/08 4:10:16PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

i highly doubt it's going to happen at 85, somewhat too later to sign a title fight for that card and it already has like 13 fights on it.

then mir and big nog are talked about as coaches for TUF8 so i didnt think they are fighting, and I dont think mir deserves a title shot yet.

i agree w/ every point, especially mir not deserving a title shot yet
kastro_316
4/24/08 4:39:59PM
Can NOG submit Mir you think?
babytater03
4/24/08 4:47:45PM
i've only heard of 11 fights so far.

Wasn't there already a post that TUF8 is NOT going to have Nog and Mir as coaches? or was i just imagining it?

HW is so screwed up right now though, besides Werdum the only guy who has a good, all be it loose, claim to the #1 contender spot is Frank.
makes sense to me, then again...what do i know.
juanez13
4/24/08 4:48:01PM
i dont think neither guy would submitt each other, so i say Big Nog outboxes Mir for 5 rounds, or if mir gets tired(which he probably would) than maybe Nog can finish him with a choke.

However, as mentioned Mir doesnt deserve a title shot (i'd pick just about anyone near the top (werdum, Vera, Herring)over him, a win over an a one dimensional striker, and overanxious and inexpirenced lesnar isnt derserving of a title shot, however he does have a more marketable name after his win over lesnar, so the fight might be made more about ratings than anything else.
Hannibal_H
4/24/08 4:48:03PM
I think they both have the quality to submit each other, that's why I want this fight to happen and hopefully it'll be a pure BJJ masterclass from them both. Nog to win, though.
Tein_Lung
4/24/08 5:26:43PM
Tuf 8 is filiming... and with them taking the Mir fight off the next UFC it leans more to the fact that Mir and Nog are the coaches... hell Mir is on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC so hes pretty much in better shape then anyone to fight for the Title... seeing how every other one of their contenders either just lost or already in matches
Jackelope
4/24/08 5:30:05PM
Nog is in better shape, he would outbox Mir on the feet, and Nog could submit Mir.

I'm a big Mir fan, but I don't see him winning this one. Definitely not yet.
kevietre
4/24/08 8:53:16PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Tuf 8 is filiming... and with them taking the Mir fight off the next UFC it leans more to the fact that Mir and Nog are the coaches... hell Mir is on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC so hes pretty much in better shape then anyone to fight for the Title... seeing how every other one of their contenders either just lost or already in matches

Sorry to burst your bubble but Mir is only on a 2 fight win streak and one of those wins is against a guy who has only faught once before (brock lesnar).
jimmypockets
4/24/08 9:16:37PM

Posted by juanez13

i don't think neither guy would submitt each other, so i say Big Nog outboxes Mir for 5 rounds, or if mir gets tired(which he probably would) than maybe Nog can finish him with a choke.

However, as mentioned Mir doesnt deserve a title shot (i'd pick just about anyone near the top (werdum, Vera, Herring)over him, a win over an a one dimensional striker, and overanxious and inexpirenced lesnar isnt derserving of a title shot, however he does have a more marketable name after his win over lesnar, so the fight might be made more about ratings than anything else.

This debate is ridiculous. Mir should have gotten a shot a long time ago. The UFC handed Sherk a title shot after juicing yet Mir was severley injured and when he came back had to start at the bottom. I am not saying he was ready for a title shot but he shouldn't have been thrown to the bottom again. Mir is one of (if not) the best heavyweight submission artists in the world.
Twenty20Dollars
4/25/08 12:02:18AM
If freaking cheick kongo didnt loose to herring, then he prolly would have gotten the title shot instead of UFC trying to lean towards Frank Mir who beat antoni hardonk who is inexperienced and doesnt have much or a ground game and brock lesnar who only had one fight. really wish brock would have won that fight. haha
cmill21
4/25/08 1:03:51AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

If freaking cheick kongo didnt loose to herring, then he prolly would have gotten the title shot instead of UFC trying to lean towards Frank Mir who beat antoni hardonk who is inexperienced and doesnt have much or a ground game and brock lesnar who only had one fight. really wish brock would have won that fight. haha

Lol that would have been like a 4 second fight, Nog would submit Kongo easily. I don't think Mir deserves a title shot, and I think Nog would beat him up badly on the feet and Nog's JJ is better so I don't know where Mir would beat him.