Frank Mir: Fedor Emelianenko Is Ducking Top Fighters in UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: Fedor Emelianenko Is Ducking Top Fighters in UFC
emfleek
8/21/09 11:05:51AM
When Frank Mir owned the UFC interim heavyweight title, he always made clear that he didn't believe his own belt made him the best heavyweight in the world: Mir, like most MMA observers, said that Fedor Emelianenko is the top heavyweight. But now Mir's opinion has changed.

Asked on the DAM Show why he thought Fedor had chosen to fight for Strikeforce instead of the UFC, Mir echoed UFC President Dana White and others who have suggested that Fedor isn't interested in proving himself against UFC champion Brock Lesnar and the other top fighters in the UFC.

STORY
SmileR
8/21/09 11:46:08AM
I'v always had the same out look as everyone else about Fedor, he's always been the best in the world but I'm actually starting to think Fedors number 1 spot might start to slip.
Theirs no one in Strikeforce for him to fight that is worthy of him keeping his spot at the top.
Sir_Karl
8/21/09 12:47:39PM
I agree with some of what Mir had to say. I think there is more to it than ducking the best competition but I do think that plays into it somewhat.
As Mir mentioned...in the UFC Fedor would have to fight Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc
I think Fedor what put Cain away with a punch, but I think Carwin could possibly knock Fedor out.
Lesnar is a tough call. If it stays standing for any length of time I see Fedor putting his lights out. However I think Fedor fears the ground game of Lesnar. At least his size and skill combo. Frank Mir is a very big man and a ground fighting wizard...and Brock tied him up and beat him like a child. Mir could do nothing. Fedor may find a way out of that situation he may not. I do think Brock is in Fedor's head a tad bit.
I think Couture is also in Fedor's head. I have always had the impression Fedor has been avoiding Couture.
Personally I think "something corrupt" is keeping Fedor out of the UFC.
Just a theory though.
When Fedor Emelianko is the UFC Heavyweight Champion...he will be number 1...until then we just don't know.

KaibaThedon
8/21/09 1:26:30PM
Well, he can beat up cans forever, or he can prove himself and face the toughest guys at that weight class.

I think he wants to beat up the cans.
gabe531
8/21/09 1:48:17PM
frank can cay what he wants, he was also saying alot of trash about brock too before there fight. but on here to say that fedor is afraid of brock on the ground?? to say he keeps fighting cans?? while he has had some freak show opponents, that dont mean that they all were garbage. he just destroyed 2 very recent UFC heavyweight champs in what under 4 minutes? im not saying he would destroy everyone in the ufc, but he has earned #1 heavyweight title and is far from ducking randy couture!!
UFCmma666
8/21/09 1:59:09PM

Posted by gabe531

frank can cay what he wants, he was also saying alot of trash about brock too before there fight. but on here to say that fedor is afraid of brock on the ground?? to say he keeps fighting cans?? while he has had some freak show opponents, that dont mean that they all were garbage. he just destroyed 2 very recent UFC heavyweight champs in what under 4 minutes? im not saying he would destroy everyone in the ufc, but he has earned #1 heavyweight title and is far from ducking randy couture!!

well then why exactly does he not come to the ufc i just dont know if hes interested in actually being the best i think hes happy with looking devastating against not so formidable opponents just my oppinion
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/09 2:24:12PM
Ducking like a bobblehead

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/21/09 3:05:15PM
Why should the best hw fighter on the planet , ranked number 1 the last 6 years , go out of his way to fight "number one contenders" . Anyone who wants to be the best , needs to pursue the fight like randy couture did .
Shadymlm
8/21/09 3:15:03PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I agree with some of what Mir had to say. I think there is more to it than ducking the best competition but I do think that plays into it somewhat.
As Mir mentioned...in the UFC Fedor would have to fight Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc
I think Fedor what put Cain away with a punch, but I think Carwin could possibly knock Fedor out.
Lesnar is a tough call. If it stays standing for any length of time I see Fedor putting his lights out. However I think Fedor fears the ground game of Lesnar. At least his size and skill combo. Frank Mir is a very big man and a ground fighting wizard...and Brock tied him up and beat him like a child. Mir could do nothing. Fedor may find a way out of that situation he may not. I do think Brock is in Fedor's head a tad bit.
I think Couture is also in Fedor's head. I have always had the impression Fedor has been avoiding Couture.
Personally I think "something corrupt" is keeping Fedor out of the UFC.
Just a theory though.
When Fedor Emelianko is the UFC Heavyweight Champion...he will be number 1...until then we just don't know.

I agree but you should really use spell check, it's Afredor
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/09 3:38:52PM
If the UFC HWs really wanted to fight the best they wouldnt have signed with the UFC. Fedor and Barnett have been the 2 best HWs for a while now. Mir just wants to hype himself,

Hey UFC fighters if you really want Fedor you have EVERY opportunity to sign a one fight deal after your current contract is up with a rival organization! BUT i doubt any of them will, which tells me THEY are scared.

The #1 doesnt flock to challengers, the challengers flock to the #1.
fizz
8/21/09 3:45:33PM
Well he stil have some non-cans to bash!

Allistair Overeem
Sergei Kharitanov
Fabricio Werdum
Jeff Monson
Brett Rogers(altought im totally against this)
Blagoi Alexandre Ivanov(If he the fight with Aleks hapens and he win)

when he will have fight those few non-cans then he will have to get to UFC!!

He has a 3 fight deal with strikeforce so expect the Overeem/Werdum/Rogers to be in strikeforce but i think he will fight at Yerronaka this year either Monson/Kharitanov or Ivanov!

Did Mousasi ever mention he dont want to fight fedor(either then an exibition match)

I think he will hold up another 2-3 years to get in the UFC and do what everyone else did... Go to the UFC after there 35 years old and on the down side of his prime!

Mir will get KTFO by Kongo!!

Aether
8/21/09 4:08:00PM
yeah well, he also said that Forrest Griffin was the best stylistic matchup to beat Anderson Silva.

I don't really pay much attention to the things that come out of Frank's mouth anymore.
george112
8/21/09 4:17:42PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Why should the best hw fighter on the planet , ranked number 1 the last 6 years , go out of his way to fight "number one contenders" . Anyone who wants to be the best , needs to pursue the fight like randy couture did .

Exactly

its a 2 way street.

why is fedor the one always having to pursue competition.

hes the champ.if they want to knock him off than go out and fight him.

hes proved himself already..again...and again...and again
ncordless
8/21/09 4:49:39PM
so does that mean that Mir was ducking the top fighters when all the best HWs were in PRIDE and he was in the UFC?
telnights
8/21/09 6:48:57PM
I'm going to be the bad guy here. I agree Fedor can do what he wants but as long as he avoids fighting in the UFC a large number of people are going to think the same way Mir does weather some of you like it or not. Weather its because of Co-promotion or not its still avoidance of the top organization in the world.
mrsmiley
8/21/09 9:03:11PM

Posted by ncordless

so does that mean that Mir was ducking the top fighters when all the best HWs were in PRIDE and he was in the UFC?

Priceless.

People tend to discredit Fedor and make the mention that outside of a few fighters in strikeforce,their's no one for Fedor to fight.

But lets rewind the clock a few years back.
Zuffa buys out PRIDE and their biggest fighter (Fedor) doesn't sign with the UFC.
Everyone said their was no competition for Fedor.
All the great HW's reside with the UFC.
Then,AA and Big Timmy leave the UFC.
Fedor beats both. Two opponents who UFC enthusiast claimed for years would deystroy him.
Didn't happen. Now it's "well they suck now". But,Fedor beat both when still ranked top 10,and in the "Respect Thread" I showed how most people Fedor beats go downhill afterwards anyways.
By the time Fedors contract with Strikeforce is up,I can only wonder what "top" HW's in the UFC will be gone by then and possibly fighting outside of the promotion.
BigBadAl
8/21/09 9:57:23PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by ncordless

Priceless.

People tend to discredit Fedor and make the mention that outside of a few fighters in strikeforce,their's no one for Fedor to fight.

Zuffa buys out PRIDE and their biggest fighter (Fedor) doesn't sign with the UFC.
Fedor beats both. Two opponents who UFC enthusiast claimed for years would deystroy him.
Didn't happen. Now it's "well they suck now". But,Fedor beat both when still ranked top 10,and in the "Respect Thread" I showed how most people Fedor beats go downhill afterwards anyways.
By the time Fedors contract with Strikeforce is up,I can only wonder what "top" HW's in the UFC will be gone by then and possibly fighting outside of the promotion.

Good point
george112
8/21/09 9:59:08PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by ncordless

Priceless.

i would like to add to your post.about you saying how people say "well they suck now".

i cant find any reason as to why people can say that.the only reason people say they suck is because their not in the UFC anymore.

also to the people who do in fact say "well they suck now"....why doesnt fedor suck?? hes been in it just as long as they have
Shadymlm
8/22/09 5:18:15AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by ncordless

Priceless.

Yes the best HW's WERE key word WERE in pride but they're not anymore. They're in the UFC! If Pride was still around and Afredor signed with them I wouldn't say much but they are NOT and now all that there is, is dream strikeforce and UFC Afredor signing with SF over UFC make's no sense at all. If I'm Brock Carwin Mir or any other big name in the UFC why would I drop down to the Minor leagues? UFC should steal a slogan from WCW. Where the big boys play! Yes they went out of business but at the time it was the truth. Afredor is a NFL quality player playing in the arena football leagues.

PS Hate Tito all you want but atleast he gives a $*** about his fans Afredor has left you defending this for what will probably be the next 2 yrs!
mkiv9secsupra
8/22/09 6:44:13AM

Posted by Shadymlm
Yes the best HW's WERE key word WERE in pride but they're not anymore. They're in the UFC!

MMAPG's top HW 10

In the UFC
#2.Lesnar
#3.Mir
#4.Nogueira
#6.Couture
#7.Carwin
#8.Valsquez
*Crocop
*Gonzaga
*Herring
*Kongo

Not in the UFC
#1.Fedor Emelianenko
#5.Barnett
#9.Overeem
#10.Arlovksi
*Werdum
*Kharitonov
*Aleksander Emelianenko

6 out of 10 fighters is not a stranglehold on the divison by any means. Fedor still has very interesting fights out of the UFC. THE BEST 2 HWs(Fedor and Josh) arent in the UFC.

mrsmiley
8/22/09 7:17:10AM

Posted by Shadymlm

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by ncordless

Priceless.

Yes the best HW's WERE key word WERE in pride but they're not anymore. They're in the UFC! If Pride was still around and Afredor signed with them I wouldn't say much but they are NOT and now all that there is, is dream strikeforce and UFC Afredor signing with SF over UFC make's no sense at all. If I'm Brock Carwin Mir or any other big name in the UFC why would I drop down to the Minor leagues? UFC should steal a slogan from WCW. Where the big boys play! Yes they went out of business but at the time it was the truth. Afredor is a NFL quality player playing in the arena football leagues.

PS Hate Tito all you want but atleast he gives a $*** about his fans Afredor has left you defending this for what will probably be the next 2 yrs!

WCW was not were the big boys played.
It was were all the aging talent went to collect big paychecks while the WWF built a roster of younger talent that eventualy overpowered the WCW.The only wrestler to get a push from WCW was Goldberg.
But that's completely different from the topic were talking about.

I'm not claiming a 100% Fedor stance and think his deal with strikeforce was the greatest thing ever.
But I think their's a big misconception that all the best are always in the UFC.
As we've seen in the past,top UFC HW's have tried and "HAVE" left the UFC and persued fights with Fedor.
I wouldn't be suprised if some good HW prospects in the UFC may be persuing fights with Fedor themselves in the next few years.

I can't say it will happen for sure,but it has happened before.
SmileR
8/22/09 9:30:37AM
I'm going to side with the minority with this but give my points here.
Mir has every right to say Fedor is ducking the top competition and in all fairness he can back it up.

I'd just like to say at this point I have no doubt Fedor belongs on the top of the HW table, but his most exciting and worth while fights outside the UFC are against Overeem, Werdum and maybe Barnett if he can test clean (or not if they fight in Japan).
If you look at those three fights as fights that Strikeforce can actually pull off Fedor is then the champ holding the Strikeforce belt and has no one to defend it against!

Then theirs the argument Fedor has beaten the past UFC champs, but then theirs the counter argument that all those champs had already lost the belt so its a pretty pointless argument that would go back and forth with no obvious answer.

I see the points of people when they say Fedor shouldn't have to go looking for the fights he's already on top but the old argument of you've got to fight top competition could easily knock him off if Brock defends his belt 2 or 3 more times against much better competitors.

Long story short (Although I think I'v passed that point now) Fedor is in the position where if he wants to keep himself at the top of the HW ladder he will actually have to start perusing the bigger fighters and the actual UFC champ to stay there.
Rush
8/22/09 9:49:14AM

If anyone wants to dethrone the Last Emperor they must seek him out and brig the war to him. Otherwise the Last Emperor will sit happily on his throne and rule.
slapshot
8/22/09 12:01:35PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Shadymlm
Yes the best HW's WERE key word WERE in pride but they're not anymore. They're in the UFC!

MMAPG's top HW 10

In the UFC
#2.Lesnar
#3.Mir
#4.Nogueira
#6.Couture
#7.Carwin
#8.Valsquez
*Crocop
*Gonzaga
*Herring
*Kongo

Not in the UFC
#1.Fedor Emelianenko
#5.Barnett
#9.Overeem
#10.Arlovksi
*Werdum
*Kharitonov
*Aleksander Emelianenko

6 out of 10 fighters is not a stranglehold on the divison by any means. Fedor still has very interesting fights out of the UFC. THE BEST 2 HWs(Fedor and Josh) arent in the UFC.

Yes it is, when the rest of the fighters are so far behind the top ten.
BTW Barnett doesn't even have a license to fight so you cant even count him and I would go as far as not to count Arlovski either so you're left with two top ten fighters that cant be disputed Fedor and Overeem everyone else in the top ten are in the UFC and Id call that a stranglehold.
The who's who list outside the UFC is a list of fighters that were cut from the UFC and thats a fact once again I acknowledge that you cant count Fedor or Overeem they stand above the rest and dont forget Bret Rodgers has potential.

The UFC has the most complete HW division in MMA and to say anything else is crazy, no they dont have EVERY top fighter but all in all they have the most competitive league of fighters and if you are the number one fighter how are you going to keep that ranking without fighting in the UFC, you cant.

So is Ray Mercer in the top ten I mean he didn't have to make Tim tap he put him out that must mean Mercer is a top ten guy too right? Im not trying to discredit Fedor but on the other hand lets keep some perspective. Arlovski is a solid win for anyone but we all know his chin has forever been the chink in his armor.

There is just no way to tell if Brock can beat Fador or if Mir could etc etc. The only way to sort out the top ten is to have them fight. Personally I feel "ranking" a top ten fighter is much different than holding a belt. If you have a belt its yours till someone beats you (barring injury) but being ranked in the top ten is basically a educated guess to beguine with so someone can leapfrog you without even beating you and being number 1means you've faced the stiffest competition.

Fador is, if not the best one of the best fighters of all time. However at this point I cant rank him the #1 P4P best or even the #1 HW fighter in the world. Ranking someone higher than Fedor at this point is saying they are more relevant because they fight a higher level of competition.
In all sports you have Pro simi-pro and amateur designations, thats not really a tight fit for the situation in MMA but Fador fighting in strikeforce is like Michael Jordan (in his prime) going back to playing collage ball, it leaves more questions than answers and makes him less relevant to the overall picture of who is the best right now.

Posted by Rush

If anyone wants to dethrone the Last Emperor they must seek him out and brig the war to him. Otherwise the Last Emperor will sit happily on his throne and rule.

By that theory when Fedor is 110 years old he'll still be the current #1 ranked fighter in the world? Climbing to the top is a hard thing to do and being the undisputed HW champ is even harder but once thats all accomplished you still have to do enough to maintain that status and I dont think thats possible outside the UFC anymore.
bjj1605
8/22/09 3:54:40PM
The fact of the matter is the best competition is in the UFC. To fight any where else is to fight lesser competition. Why should any UFC heavyweights seek out fedor? If they beat him then what? They've ruined they're relationship with dana and there are no more fights left for them out of the UFC. If he wants to stay #1 in the world he needs to come to the UFC.

Multiple organizations is bad for MMA and its bad for the fans. As long as there's a somewhat legitimate #2 organization that can pay fighters like fedor top dollar we are never guaranteed the best fights we can see. This was the case when pride and ufc were competing (the UFC remedied that) this was the case when Affliction came about, when Elite XC was around, and now its the case with strikeforce.

I can only hope that Dana White is eventually successful in killing all the other top orgs (not for the sake of his evil empire) but so that we can finally get past all the bull s**t and know that if you want to be considered in the top or anywhere near the top you need to test yourself in the single top organization.
Rush
8/22/09 6:02:57PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Rush

By that theory when Fedor is 110 years old he'll still be the current #1 ranked fighter in the world? Climbing to the top is a hard thing to do and being the undisputed HW champ is even harder but once thats all accomplished you still have to do enough to maintain that status and I dont think thats possible outside the UFC anymore.

I was speaking metaphorically. But in all seriousness, if you are considered to be #1, why do you have to go out seeking (aledgedly) lesser people to prove you are number one. The "lesser people" should be seeking out the top dog to prove they are better. Not the other way around.

I understand that MMA is not structured as linearly as it should be, but by the same token, I don't think anyone could say with any stock that Fedor is ducking the UFC.
Jackelope
8/22/09 8:37:59PM
For what it's worth- I don't think Fedor is ducking the UFC's competition, but I'm finding it harder and harder to defend him these days. He's about to start dropping out of my rankings (which I never update anyways)