Frank Mir Explains Why Miguel Torres Is the Best Pound-for-Pound MMA Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir Explains Why Miguel Torres Is the Best Pound-for-Pound MMA Fighter
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 2:27:59PM
"I think Torres is the most dominating fighter there is," said Mir, who in addition to being the UFC interim heavyweight champ is the color commentator for the WEC. "His one loss, he was fighting a guy (Ryan Ackerman) a lot bigger than him. And then he rematched him and got him in the first round. He's just a killer, he's got that Fedor-like mentality, but I think he has more tools than Fedor. Fedor is nowhere near as smooth in his transitions as Miguel is. Miguel has great hands, and he can kick, and he has great conditioning."

I told Mir my own pick for the best pound-for-pound fighter is UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. He disagreed.

"Anderson Silva I think is extraordinarily talented, but I don't think his submission game is great. We've seen him get caught in heel hooks," Mir said, referring to this loss to Ryo Chonan:

link
roadking95th
1/1/09 3:30:50PM
Alright, you convinced me Mir. Well, sort of. I have been thinking that Torres should be #3, behind only Fedor and Penn. So, I just changed my rankings.

Fedor
Penn
Torres
Silva
GSP

Basically, I only moved Silva, from #2 to #4 and Penn and Torres each moved up one spot.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/1/09 4:03:47PM
The only problem with Fedor is that i'd like to see him fight a bit more instead of looking for the big bucks, would just solidify is best p4p status IMO. As for The Spider well problem is, the UFC's MW division is kinda weak if you look at it, there isin't really anything left or anything really challenging for Silva to beat. I honestly think it's time for him to move up to 205, I mean the guy walks around at 215 right so it clearly would not be impossible for him to fight at 205. And I for one would like to see him in more challenging fights instead of knowing and always having Silva locked in for the win. For the rest, only thing I would change is rank GSP higher than Penn wich i think will be displayed to us at 94.
imanidiot777
1/1/09 4:14:51PM

Posted by roadking95th

Alright, you convinced me Mir. Well, sort of. I have been thinking that Torres should be #3, behind only Fedor and Penn. So, I just changed my rankings.

Fedor
Penn
Torres
Silva
GSP

Basically, I only moved Silva, from #2 to #4 and Penn and Torres each moved up one spot.

Silva NUMBER FOUR!!!????? WHHAATTT!!!?? I'm not even going to ask for your logic in that.
Gipper
1/1/09 4:16:55PM
1 fedor
2 gsp
3 penn
4 a.silva
5 torres
seanfu
1/1/09 5:11:55PM
oh yeah, what a huge surprise that a bantam weight has better transitions than a heavyweight. Are you ******* kidding?

And there's a reason there's even an arguement against andserson being number one, his weight class is divided and weak to begin with.

So how can Torres in such a small divided weight be number 1? I'm sorry but no, he's lucky to be 5 or 6. He needs way more top wins to bag that spot.

Whoever is buying in to these Mir comments during the live WEC shows needs to remember that Torres just became champ and his weight class is to poor to jump him up. That's the reason we couldn't call Faber number 1, I meant, befor the Brown fight how many badass guys at his weight had he not just beaten, but wiped up? and he was never in consideration for the top spot.

Now after Mir was talking the same shit about Faber for so long he just switches to WEC posterboy number 2 who has defeated fewer top guys.

The fact that you'd compare talent between a 230 pounder and a 155(135) pounder is rediculus. Next you're gonna be telling everybody Torres is better than Fedor because he's faster and better conditioned, WHAT?!?! No shit.
warglory
1/1/09 10:29:53PM

Posted by seanfu

oh yeah, what a huge surprise that a bantam weight has better transitions than a heavyweight. Are you ******* kidding?

And there's a reason there's even an arguement against andserson being number one, his weight class is divided and weak to begin with.

So how can Torres in such a small divided weight be number 1? I'm sorry but no, he's lucky to be 5 or 6. He needs way more top wins to bag that spot.

Whoever is buying in to these Mir comments during the live WEC shows needs to remember that Torres just became champ and his weight class is to poor to jump him up. That's the reason we couldn't call Faber number 1, I meant, befor the Brown fight how many badass guys at his weight had he not just beaten, but wiped up? and he was never in consideration for the top spot.

Now after Mir was talking the same shit about Faber for so long he just switches to WEC posterboy number 2 who has defeated fewer top guys.

The fact that you'd compare talent between a 230 pounder and a 155(135) pounder is rediculus. Next you're gonna be telling everybody Torres is better than Fedor because he's faster and better conditioned, WHAT?!?! No shit.

The only reason why you think the lighter weight divisions are weaker is because they don't have as many big names. Saying Miguel doesn't deserve a possible #1 ranking because he hasn't fought enough top guys is ridiculous, because most of us aren't familiar enough with the bantamweight division to truly determine that. Are you familiar with all of his opponents? Can you really differentiate tomato cans from legit contenders in that long list of wins? All we know is that Miguel dismantles his opponents convincingly and has a very impressive record of doing so.
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 10:43:10PM
Miguel is definetely a top p4p fighter, but in my opinion he isn't even the best in his own division--that honor belongs to Norifumi Yamamoto, but of course Frank never gives any respect to anyone who isn't in the UFC or WEC.

Pookie
1/1/09 10:44:29PM
Cant agree because the quality of competition really isnt there.

Hes fighting good competition for a bw, but hes not fighting Great - Top Level Competition, simply because there is a serious lack of top flight competitors in the 145 and 135 divisions. With time, the competition will arrive but beating Chase Beebee, Manny Tapia, and Maeda isnt worthy of #1 status IMO

Mir doesn't think any heavyweight in MMA has a complete enough set of skills to justify being considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

Fedor is much more of a complete fighter than Torres is, so i really dont even understand this statement by Mir
HumanTarget
1/1/09 11:14:46PM
FEDOR
SILVA
GSP
PENN
TORRES

MIR IS A RETARD. That submission on silva was a ******* FLUKE. We've seen Anderson get caught in Heel hook(SSSSSSSSSSSS!?) ******* years ago.

God Frank is dumb...
seanfu
1/1/09 11:51:34PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by seanfu

The only reason why you think the lighter weight divisions are weaker is because they don't have as many big names. Saying Miguel doesn't deserve a possible #1 ranking because he hasn't fought enough top guys is ridiculous, because most of us aren't familiar enough with the bantamweight division to truly determine that. Are you familiar with all of his opponents? Can you really differentiate tomato cans from legit contenders in that long list of wins? All we know is that Miguel dismantles his opponents convincingly and has a very impressive record of doing so.

Chase Beebe's a bad man, Manny Tapia's an even badder man, but they don't compare to Sean Sherk orFrankie Edgar or any of those guys. He is fighting the elite in a newborn division.
Manak
1/2/09 12:43:38AM

Posted by HumanTarget

FEDOR
SILVA
GSP
PENN
TORRES

MIR IS A RETARD. That submission on silva was a ******* FLUKE. We've seen Anderson get caught in Heel hook(SSSSSSSSSSSS!?) ******* years ago.

God Frank is dumb...

and saying that GSP has been KOed as his reason....... are u kidding me anyone can get KOed if they get caught right

jiujitsufreak74
1/2/09 9:11:24AM

Posted by HumanTarget

FEDOR
SILVA
GSP
PENN
TORRES

God Frank is dumb...

yeah but he wasn't winning the fight up until that point either. it looked like Chonan was just the better man that night.
scoozna
1/2/09 2:23:06PM

Posted by seanfu

LOL...I couldn't have said it better if I tried. I love Mir, but he runs his mouth a bit.