Frank Mir Excited by Matchup With Daniel Cormier, Explains TRT Usage

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir Excited by Matchup With Daniel Cormier, Explains TRT Usage
grappler0000
8/6/12 11:23:11PM
Frank Mir was smack in the middle of taking the summer off to spend time with his family when the powers-that-be came to him with an unexpected offer. Just two months after unsuccessfully bidding for the UFC heavyweight championship, Mir was given an option to move over to sister company Strikeforce, just for one night, to face its recent Grand Prix winner, Daniel Cormier.

It was only months earlier when the UFC had asked B.J. Penn to move to Strikeforce and fight lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, so while what they were asking him to do was not unprecedented, his answer was...

Full Story
george112
8/6/12 11:31:32PM
Frank I hope doesn't take Cormier lightly. He won the grand prix for a reason. Definitely no slouch.

I hope Frank utilizes his ground game in this one. If he gets on top he needs to stay there . I think he can sub him he's just gonna have to work for it
meier
8/7/12 1:10:50AM
Mir will be destroyed unless he comes in a lil lighter. but prob. with weight fluctuation in combat sports is the athletes r never the same afterwards.
Manak
8/7/12 2:25:29AM

Posted by meier

Mir will be destroyed unless he comes in a lil lighter. but prob. with weight fluctuation in combat sports is the athletes r never the same afterwards.

I think mir screwed him self with the weight gain, his speed and movement use to be one of his strong points. plus mir has never tired to muscle ppl so the weight gain won't teach me how to use that since he fights with technique instead of brute force.

this match is a good matchup cause cormier should be faster and prb more aggressive but mir does have power so he can't just go crazy esp since mir is 6'3" n cormier is 5'11" and mir can pick his shots. With cormier wrestling pedigree he should be able to dictate where this fight takes place; but I don't think he could hang with mir on the ground.

from what he said about TRT, sounds like he is using it to improve his performance... in the bed

Wish BJ would have taken the Gilbert fight
tcunningham
8/7/12 2:34:16PM
i think i will take cormier on this one. i think he's got the right skills to defeat mir. his wrestling is great so frank will have a hell of a time getting him to the ground. his stand up is very dynamic, not technical, but very explosive. i think he will probably pull off a UD fairly easy. mir is still a great fighter, i just think cormier is a bad matchup for him.
Boo_Radley21
8/7/12 2:47:20PM
Franks never been that great at avoiding punches to the face.

Cormier TKO
Pookie
8/7/12 4:23:41PM
Mir gets big to help him get takedowns. This is a fight he should definitely show up light for, considering that he's not getting a takedown regardless.
Budgellism
8/7/12 5:02:46PM
Really bad match up for him imo. About the worst kind of match up for him.