Frank Mir: ‘I dont have Fedor being in the top’ P4P MMA rankings

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: ‘I dont have Fedor being in the top’ P4P MMA rankings
SmileR
8/1/08 3:48:35PM
“I don’t have Fedor being in the top … I don’t have him above B.J. Penn, St. Pierre. I think that if all those guys weighed 155 pounds, that Fedor can’t beat B.J., he can’t beat Georges St. Pierre, and that’s what pound for pound means. It means that if they were exactly the same size. I think that some people are a little misunderstanding of that whole idea.”

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir takes exception to the pound-for-pound ranking of Fedor Emelianenko on the recent top 10 list released by ESPN (fan votes were responsible for the order). He argues that the term is often misunderstood among those who attempt to create such lists. For example, Mir feels that a fighter such as WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres — who can compete at several different weight classes and likely be successful — should be top two or three. UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva received 49 percent of the votes to take the top spot and Fedor — who came in second — tallied 40 percent of first place nominations.

Link
cmill21
8/1/08 3:56:19PM
I'm just curious about that. Fedor's skills are on par with anyone, he's outstruck K-1 champions, out wrestled NCAA div I champs, and beat some of the best BJJ guys on the ground. Wonder why he woulden't respect his skills more. lol
emfleek
8/1/08 3:59:19PM
*** CORRECTION ***

Frank Mir actually said, "I don't gots Fedor being in the top Pound-for-Pound rankings."

jiujitsufreak74
8/1/08 4:02:19PM

Posted by emfleek

*** CORRECTION ***

Frank Mir actually said, "I don't gots Fedor being in the top Pound-for-Pound rankings."

Aaronno9
8/1/08 4:06:05PM
I guess i agree with Frank, i dont have Fedor in my top 3 p4p.
gsquat
8/1/08 4:19:52PM
Poopy talk. Fedor has earned the #1 or #2 spot for sure. Perhaps Frank is trying to bring others down as to bring himself up.
EliasG
8/1/08 5:26:47PM
I go shades of KRS-1 and say that Fedor is "Number 1, 2, 3, and 4!"

The guy doesn't lose. He's a small heavyweight that doesn't need to gain weight or lose it. He could easily lose to 205 and do serious damage. He's explosive, skilled, and freakishly strong. Yeah. He deserves it.
crushedbacon
8/1/08 6:00:25PM
If Fedor weighed 155 can you imagine how fast that guy would be, he is ultra quick at heavyweight. Mir is taking one side of the pound for pound argument. What would BJ be like at 230? Who knows hey, but he sure as hell wouldn't have the dexterity and the speed. Picture BJ at 190 and Fedor at 190 for arguments sake Mir and your life depends on if you can pick the winner. Easy decision for me. Fedor.On the other hand, GSP because of his athleticism and explosiveness to me is a little different. GSP can grapple successfully with much larger and heavier guys and do very well. His core strength is excellent and his ability to transfer weight to his advantage is off the hook. However if GSP and Fedor fought the hypothetical P4P match, Fedor's Sambo is probably the best tool for neutralizing GSP and his wrestling. In addition to that Fedor knocks mofos out. He has concrete slabs attached to his wrists. Conclusion........Fedor.

He will run through the BIG dogs of the UFC heavyweight division from the last 5 years as long as Affliction stays afloat. Seriously Sylvia 800K for 36 secs he really didn't even see....LOL.
chickmagnet
8/1/08 6:09:24PM
What is he talkin about???!!!
The-Don
8/1/08 6:34:36PM
if there were a way to make all fighters equal weight with out changing thier physical skills i still really do not see anyone beating Fedor... Guys who physically are much bigger then him looked scared and nervous across the ring.. I do not see that consistently with any other fighter out there no matter who they are fighting...

I think Fedor would still be easily inthe top 5 if everything were equal... physically as it stands now.. I do not think anyone could beat him regardless of weight...

I'd love to see him cut to 205 and just clean house there as well...
Greene33
8/1/08 7:30:57PM
ehh i dont think its fair to do P4P rankings, just due to the fact that BJ will never fight Fedor, GSP will never fight Fedor. What is the point?
Porch28
8/1/08 7:48:18PM
Fear The MIR
Jackelope
8/1/08 7:48:41PM
People are taking this way out of proportion. Frank is a respectable guy. I love all of the fighters mentioned between GSP, BJ, Anderson Silva, Fedor and even Frank Mir. I PERSONALLY believe Fedor is the #1 P4P fighter on the planet, but if someone doesn't agree with me- who cares? I'll discuss the matter but I won't get vehement over it. (Unless the person is bringing up completely irrelevant and ludicrous arguments)

I can see an argument for Miguel Torres, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Fedor, and Urijah Faber as the #1 P4P fighter on the planet. All of them have phenomenal standup, phenomenal ground game and a wealth of experience. I think Fedor transitions between all of the elements of MMA on a level none of these fighters can touch and that's why I give him the #1 spot. Not to mention having the record against all the different opponents he has faced to back it up.
jiujitsufreak74
8/1/08 8:00:29PM
Fedor has got to be in the discussion of top P4P fighter. he defeated Hong Man Choi and Semmy Schilt who are two giant and dangerous strikers. i would bet money that no other HW could beat Choi, so for Fedor to do it means a lot more than people made of it. his skill transcends and his dominance is unquestionable, so he has to at least be in the discussion for top P4P fighter if not the top P4P fighter
wrona666
8/1/08 8:07:39PM
I just think the pfp rankings are pointless because everyone is going to have a different opinion and there is no way anyone can say for sure who is pfp best fighter it is all speculation and opinion so it is pointless to try and argue for one point or another....
imanidiot777
8/1/08 10:24:07PM

Posted by lordicast

Frank Mir is a stupid has been that never should say the word Fedor. He needs to work on not getting choked out by NOG in the next fight rather then who is P4P the best

Frank Mir, while maybe not the greatest fighter, as incredible overall knowledge of MMA, and he definitely is on his way back. I don't think he will beat Noguiera but MIR is BJJ wizard.

Posted by luke421087

I'd like to see Mir step in the ring with him.

I consider Mir to be a pretty knowledgable guy regarding MMA. Either he's saying that for the UFC, or the guy is a complete bufoon.

He never said HE COULD BEAT FEDOR! He never said anything of the sort, so him stepping in the ring with Fedor has nothing to do with this.

All this said, I think Fedor is #2 to Anderson Silva
SmileR
8/1/08 11:58:39PM
The best way to look at this I think is to look at the fighters natural weight.
The top four P4P fighters walk around at GSP: - 190ish, Silva: - 225ish, Fedor: - 225ish Bj: 185ish. Correct me if I'm wrong but Silva would get slaughtered at HW, Nog, Fedor, Arlovski, CroCop and even some of the lower end of the devision would chew him up. GSP would get beat by some MW's Silva, Hendo maybe Franklin. BJ would defiantly get beat if he stepped up to MW. He'd have a hard time at WW with GSP.
Fedor consistently fights guys that outweigh him him 20 to 30lb and wins! The best way I see this argument being settled is can you see Silva moving up to HW without being beat? GSP to LHW and dominating or even BJ moving up to MW?

Fedor dominates and makes guys who have a clear strength and hight advantage pay for stepping into the ring/cage with him.

I'm drunk and the P4P king still seams like a no contest!
EliasG
8/2/08 12:57:58AM
I agree. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. P4P isn't just about what weight you fight at but weight you "actually" are. Even on fight night alot of the guys that are fighting at their "weight" are nowhere close to the weight they weighed in on the day before. I don't know if Silva walks around at 225 but I have heard many reports from fighters that he walks around at around 215. I KNOW Fedor could drop to 215 if he felt like it. Then their "pounds" would be the same. Fedor wins, not even close. Fedor, if he desired could probably drop to 185 and kill these guys. He doesn't. You know why? BIg guys CAN"T BEAT HIM. When you can fight at your NATURAL weight class and win, that is absolutely ideal and means that Pound for Pound you are the best. There isn't addition by subtraction in my book. I walk around at 225 but I would fight at 205 because at 6 feet I prefer fighitng guys around 6 feet instead of all the 6'6" guys I have to spar at HW who walk around at 240 and fight at 235. It's "easier" to fight smaller guys because generally the punches don't hurt as much although speed can be an issue.

You really think Fedor lacks speed and explosiveness? I'm just sayin. It ain't even close because Fedor and Silva aint that far apart pound for pound. But they are miles apart if they fight each other.

BJ Penn at 185---is when he hits the night clubs, drinks, and eats too much. He should be an in shape 165-170. Dropping to 155 then it isn't too insane but the guy is such a Freak that his amazing bjj and NOW AMAZING boxing ability HAVE to put him up there in the P4P talk. He can wreck shop at 175 if he gets the chance. I want to see it. :)
EliasG
8/2/08 1:19:53AM

Posted by Jackelope

People are taking this way out of proportion. Frank is a respectable guy. I love all of the fighters mentioned between GSP, BJ, Anderson Silva, Fedor and even Frank Mir. I PERSONALLY believe Fedor is the #1 P4P fighter on the planet, but if someone doesn't agree with me- who cares? I'll discuss the matter but I won't get vehement over it. (Unless the person is bringing up completely irrelevant and ludicrous arguments)

I can see an argument for Miguel Torres, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Fedor, and Urijah Faber as the #1 P4P fighter on the planet. All of them have phenomenal standup, phenomenal ground game and a wealth of experience. I think Fedor transitions between all of the elements of MMA on a level none of these fighters can touch and that's why I give him the #1 spot. Not to mention having the record against all the different opponents he has faced to back it up.

Haha. That's true. But P4P and GOAT arguments are so much FUN!!! :)
hippysmacker
8/2/08 2:06:28AM

Posted by Jackelope

Ah the voice of reason. Anyone who feels the need to actually insult another person, just fro disagreeing with their opinion should never post on this site.
jiujitsufreak74
8/2/08 2:45:02AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Anyone who feels the need to actually insult another person, just fro disagreeing with their opinion should never post on this site.

i disagree...moron
telnights
8/2/08 3:56:13AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Jackelope

Ah the voice of reason. Anyone who feels the need to actually insult another person, just fro disagreeing with their opinion should never post on this site.

Manak
8/2/08 4:03:43AM
based on only who has won over a length of time and the ppl they beat Fedor takes it, but silva is very close with gsp n penn right behind them, id rank it fedor 1, silva 1.5 n gsp/penn 2, cause these guys r so close n talented of cant really separate them
Jackelope
8/2/08 10:45:16AM

Posted by EliasG

Haha. That's true. But P4P and GOAT arguments are so much FUN!!! :)

I won't deny you that I just don't like seeing people calling Frank a retard and saying he's too afraid to get into the cage to fight Fedor. All the man did was provide his opinion and people are going off like he raped their sister.

This coming from a guy (me) who swings from Fedor's nuts like an orangutang.
iwannabesedated
8/2/08 2:17:29PM
Wonder what Joe Rogan would have to say about this?

I
BlueSkiesBurn
8/2/08 9:56:29PM
I don't have a problem with what Mir said and I LOVE Fedor and do have him #1 P4P. The whole P4P thing is an abstract concept. The closest we'll ever get to seeing this whole thing play out is B.J. fighting GSP and Silva and Fedor fighting at most likely the catchweight of 215. My only question about this whole article is why did Fedor have to drop to 155? Why didn't B.J. have to move up to 225? Frank Mir decided that's why.
Matimus
8/2/08 10:50:00PM
go mir!
Ayuka
9/2/08 9:43:09PM
Mir would barely land one the top 20 list if he would.
Bloodhound
9/2/08 9:53:44PM
fedor is my #3 P4P, Mir is a joke compared to Fedor
bls1919
9/2/08 10:15:26PM
I have Fedor at number 3 or 4. I dont get Y everyone is jumping Mir's shit for saying what he thinks. He never said he would beat the man. Fedor needs to fight(recently) and kill some top guys to regain top spot for me. Big Tim was a great start though. As it goes:

1 Anderson Silva
2 GSP
3 BJ Penn
4-6Fitch/Fedor/Faber

This is just drunk a55es thoughts. Dont take it so serioulsy. The P4P title is so vague it can't be inteligently dicussed. Too many variables.