Frank Mir should take Couture's place as UFC spokesman and here's why

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir should take Couture's place as UFC spokesman and here's why
Jujiden
2/4/08 3:59:00PM
First of all, before all the Randy nuthuggers go ape over the title, this isn't about Randy compared to Mir. This is about Mir's ability to relate with the public in general since Randy is no longer, according to himself, part of the UFC.

That said, while watching all the pre-fight interviews, from the Raw Vegas to the pre-fight press conference, Mir carried and articulated himself very well. This is evident at the weigh in when Rogan asked Mir to explain how he saw the fight going and then after, turned to Lesnar, and asked for a one sentence statement. Rogan knows, along with presumably other UFC officials, that Mir has a unique insight into the fight game and is able to express his perspective in laymen terms to the public. This is why he's color commentator for WEC and I personally think, when he retires, should take Rogans spot in the UFC.
StevenSeagal
2/4/08 4:00:52PM
Word agree 100%. Rogan annoys me as he prob does to a lot.
Jackelope
2/4/08 4:00:55PM
I'd much rather see Mir replace Goldberg as a commentator than Rogan. I think Rogan is exactly what the sport needs.

Mir does a pretty decent job commentating in WEC, but for now I'll stick to watching him in the Octagon.
Pookie
2/4/08 4:04:23PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'd much rather see Mir replace Goldberg as a commentator than Rogan. I think Rogan is exactly what the sport needs.

Mir does a pretty decent job commentating in WEC, but for now I'll stick to watching him in the Octagon.

i agree

I think joe rogan is my favorite sports broadcaster, and i watch alot of sports.

Goldberg annoys be a wee bit though...
Gipper
2/4/08 4:51:49PM
franky mir does a great job in the wec. they should bring him in on the main events like they did randy.
bayonetxwork
2/4/08 6:01:49PM
He should take goldbergs spot for sure. He doesn't say anything worth listening too because he just summarizes whatever rogan says. And when he does actually think of something himself to say, rogan normally has to correct him.
Rush
2/4/08 6:13:40PM
I think they should replace both Rogan and Goldberg.

You've presented a good arguement for Mir being one of them. Randy would be another (the other) good choice, but it will probably not happen unless he and the UFC make amends.
Diamondback2
2/4/08 6:38:09PM
I really don't think Rogan is as bad as everyone says. He is very knowledgeable about the sport and draws attention form Fear Factor. I don't know how many times my friends that don't watch UFC say "Is that the Fear Factor Guy?" Plus at least he's not like a golf commentator, he is ot afraid to feel emotion. That's too rare in modern sports.

Goldberg isn't all that good, but his voice does work really, really good on the UFC commercials. He is pretty good at calling it when it's standing, but once it hits the ground, most fans know more than him. I remember him saying something about being in side control with your opponent having a guillotine on you form the bottom only reduces the effectiveness of the choke. Luckily Rogan corrected him ASAP lol.

But i totally agree, they should start using a third commentator for the co-main event and main event, and Frank would fit the bill perfectly. I'm pretty sure I've heard Frank commentate and I remember it not being half bad. He has a top notch experience on the ground, and could assist Rogan alot more than Goldberg there.

I for one would love to see this happen!
evilpimp
2/4/08 7:00:46PM
i like mir as a commentator and i would like to see him do some high profile fights in the ufc
whardin19
2/5/08 12:01:42PM
Mir is decent in the WEC commentating. But have you heard him give intrerviews in the ring? He blows at that! Other than that, Joe Rogan rules and Goldberg annoys me!
tepid55
2/5/08 12:19:06PM
Now that Couture is gone, Frank Mir is the face of the UFC.
AchillesHeel
2/5/08 1:56:10PM

Posted by tepid55

Now that Couture is gone, Rampage Jackson is the face of the UFC.

Fixed.

Seriously, though, I think Mir is an excellent fight commentator. I certainly wouldn't miss Mike Goldberg, but I do like Joe Rogan and I think Rogan and Mir essentially play the same position. I wouldn't mind hearing Mir in a UFC broadcast if Rogan is on vacation or something, but I'd leave Mir with the WEC (and maybe someday the WEC will do more than 3 or 4 broadcasts a year).
emfleek
2/5/08 2:22:34PM
I agree. I think Frank Mir gots what it takes to succeed.

bls1919
2/5/08 6:12:54PM
Frank is a very good comentator. i think he could replace Goldie but not Rogan. On a side note, is it me or does Goldie always look 3/4 drunk?
unikcycle
2/6/08 1:54:14AM
I think Rogan does a great job commentating... for example the Nogueira Vs. Silvia fight. He let his know how Nog was setting up the sweep and I was excitedly anticipating it only to watch it happen and watch the fight turn on a dime as Rogan predicted. Thats when I knew he is good for commentating. As for Goldberg, His job is to make exaggerated statements that sound good during a commercial.
Schizoidman
2/6/08 2:45:08AM

Posted by bls1919

Frank is a very good comentator. i think he could replace Goldie but not Rogan. On a side note, is it me or does Goldie always look 3/4 drunk?

I've never noticed that Goldie looks drunk, but I always laugh about how high Rogan always looks. Man, he looks smashed sometimes. I wouldn't replace either one of them, though. The only other commentator that I've heard that is good enough to replace either of them is Mauro Renallo, formerly of PrideFC currently of EliteXC. I do like the way Frank Mir speaks and carries himself, but I agree that he'd be best as a guest commentator for certain broadcasts. He'd probably do much better than Florian or Sherk.
saemskin
2/6/08 1:05:29PM
Frank Mir is good, no doubt, but his vocabulary needs alot of work.

If you listen to him he uses the word "gots" a hell of a lot and that's just a no-no
gartface
2/6/08 4:13:26PM
Maybe it's just me, I thought Florian did a good job when he did a guest spot. I do like Mir on WEC, because he gives a lot of insight as to what is going on, especially on the ground. I'm personally a fan of Joe Rogan, he does what a color commentator should do, adds flavor. He's always excited to do his job, though he does mess up a lot of names.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/6/08 9:27:01PM
Mike goldberg annoys me. He has a great voice but doesn't know much about MMA but the basics. I think dana likes to remain loyal to the UFC workers who went from the days of gettin very little pay and publicity, to now. Both joe and mike rid through the tough times of the sport and should most likely be shown lifetime of gratitude.

Joe rogan is good but doesnt take the time to study the fighters well enough. For instance, on ufc 81 i cant remember who but he had never seen him fight before. This really shouldnt happen. If your gettin the big bucks and luxury of the UFC you really should watch all the fighters previous fights(or atleast one) before you make comments about a fighters style or what have you.

frank mir is an excellent comentator and has a great personality. I could easily see him being on TUF 8 or something like that. He would make a good coach for the show.

THis being said i still think EL QUAPO is the best.

joe rogan , elquapo and mir as a three some would be amazing. Phil baroni is pretty damn entertaining also.

Hurricane_Brad
2/8/08 1:54:01PM
I'd like to see Mir do commentary again. He did some commentary for the UFC when he was out with the leg injury, and I thought he was pretty good.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/08 2:48:44PM
I think Mir should do the commentary on his own fights... Now that would impress me...

To be serious, I think he does a great job on the WEC, and could see him step in place of Goldie once he retires... Rogan has to stay though... I used to hate the guy, well more just the sound of his voice annoyes(that reall doesn't look like I spelled it right) me... He's really knowledgable and I respect how much of a fan of the sport he is... The guy gets just as excited as me when cool shit happens
emfleek
2/8/08 4:18:11PM

Posted by saemskin

Frank Mir is good, no doubt, but his vocabulary needs alot of work.

If you listen to him he uses the word "gots" a hell of a lot and that's just a no-no

Posted by emfleek

I agree. I think Frank Mir gots what it takes to succeed.

saemskin
2/9/08 2:15:27PM

Franklinfan47
2/9/08 4:11:23PM
Ya Rogan knows his stuff and people recognize him from fear factor, plus his charisma makes him a good commentator. I would really like to see Mir replace Goldberg. The only thing goldberg is good at is stating the obvious or giving irrelevant facts while Mir, like rogan, can give actual insight into the fights.