Frank Mir, The Constant Heavyweight Contender

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir, The Constant Heavyweight Contender
grappler0000
3/30/12 3:06:02PM
Frank Mir seems to always be just one win away from a title shot. The constant contender has fought in four UFC championship bouts, and if he gets past Cain Velasquez at UFC 146, he’ll be fighting for a UFC championship belt for a fifth time.

He’s seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows during his career to this point. He rose to the top of the heavyweight division at a young age. He debuted in the organization at just 22 years old. By the time he was 25, he was UFC heavyweight champion.

Before he could defend that title, Mir was involved in a motorcycle accident suffering a broken femur. Many questioned if he’d ever get back to where he once was in the sport. And his comeback performances following the injury fueled the doubters’ belief that Mir would never be the same...

Full Story
rush13
3/30/12 4:28:01PM

Posted by grappler0000

Frank Mir seems to always be just one win away from a title shot. The constant contender has fought in four UFC championship bouts, and if he gets past Cain Velasquez at UFC 146, he’ll be fighting for a UFC championship belt for a fifth time.IF

That's a gigantic "IF" that won't be happening...he's gonna get murdered
prozacnation1978
3/30/12 6:10:30PM
Future HOF
bjj1605
3/31/12 1:56:58AM
Personally, I think he's the most technically skilled HW in the division. He has been for a while.

The only problem is that he isn't the best athlete in the division (not that he's a bad one, literally just not the best) and he has a weird sorta cocky attitude about fighting.

I've never seen a guy so willing to get punched in the face, just so he can roll his eyes afterwards.
jae_1833
3/31/12 1:25:35PM
Yeah that is weird, he doesn't have the best chin either. His ground game is great but his take downs pretty much suck. I think Mir is the only real gatekeeper the HW Div has ever had.
Bubbles
3/31/12 1:54:37PM

Posted by jae_1833

Yeah that is weird, he doesn't have the best chin either.

really???? it took Lesnar 2 rounds of constant punches to the face to knock him out. It took about 8 clean punches from Carwin to drop him. I don't count any of his first couple fights after his motorcycle accident (ie Vera), especially since it was like 6 years ago or something

His chin is just fine
KingCmb
3/31/12 3:31:45PM
ya he takes shots from carwin and brock his chins just fine. i dont consider a two time heavyweight champion a gatekeeper by any means.i mean its not even a slightly reasonable stament hes still top of the division one fight away from a title match thats litterally the definition of contender and opposite of gate keeper.

HW has always been a weak division and mir being the only real consistent fighter there means alot...maybe randy but its ify what with retirments contract disputes and his time at lhw. HW has always been full of guys who go on a streak and then fade away quickly mir has proved time and time again hes the real deal!

mir debutes at ufc 36 i think. since then lets look at champions
Barnett
Ricco
Sylvia
Mir*
Arlovski
Randy
Nog
Mir*
Lesnar
Carwin
Cain
JDS

Cain and JDS remain to be seen but in general other than randy no one is really a hallmark of the ufc HW division,barnett while consistent is outside the top competiton of the ufc.

Edited because i write like a child
Pookie
3/31/12 4:29:27PM
His chin is ok, he just doesnt react well after getting hit.
Bubbles
3/31/12 6:41:50PM
the-king, i would like to agree with your point but please use some sort of punctuation. my head hurts trying to read it
KingCmb
3/31/12 7:13:40PM
Fair enough im sorry i will edit but i expect you to agree with me now

and yes I agree he can take a hit however hes prone to relaxing a bit and then taking a whole bunch.
jae_1833
4/1/12 4:09:44PM
Ok all....slow the huggery to a double pat please. I just said not the best chin, meaning for a dude that likes to stand and bang maybe this is not the opponent to do it against. I am a big Mir fan but he is 16-5 all losses by KO. Now while I will give you Carwin and I guess Lesnar, I will not give any excuse a free pass for being KOed by Vera, Cruz, or Freeman. I stand by my position: not the best chin.
jae_1833
4/1/12 4:17:34PM
Now for the statement of gatekeeper, the guys is in constant reach of the belt but rarely holding it and when he does not for long at all. If you beat Frank you are pretty much guaranteed a title shot. I remember when being the gate keeper of a division was a coveted position. I still say it with affection, your a good well rounded highly competitive and exciting fighter. They also tend to be around for a long time. The only reason the title sounds weird when saying it about Frank is because his division is so incredibly thin that unlike the other divisions when you beat the the gate keeper you don't usually have to win a couple more before you get a title shot like you would have to in the LHW/WW/LW divisions.
Bubbles
4/1/12 4:30:58PM

Posted by jae_1833
I will not give any excuse a free pass for being KOed by Vera, Cruz, or Freeman. I stand by my position: not the best chin.

Freeman - 5th fight of career, shit happens to a green fighter
Cruz - first fight back after a year and a half absence from a motorcycle accident...and he clearly looked like shit from the get go.
Vera - probably the only KO that shouldn't be excused

If you can't excuse the Cruz fight at the very least, then you are just a plain hater. I'm no Mir nuthugger, but at least be realistic
KingCmb
4/1/12 4:38:57PM
Not to mention the fact that Vera was a dangerous man back then. as for my nut hugery I'm open about it but Mir Catches a lot of hate
bjj1605
4/1/12 5:28:35PM
I think Frank has a good solid chin.

Maybe "not the best", but technically only one man in the world has "the best chin." So that statement is really pretty useless.

I think his problem is more the way he reacts to getting hit. He seems to have a giant ego and when he's getting punched it seems like he wants to show that he can take it. A lot of times, he just sits there and rolls his eyes at the camera instead of moving out of the way.

If you do that, you're gonna get knocked out. No matter how good or bad your chin is.
Bubbles
4/1/12 9:40:55PM
^^^
that is a better assessment than saying "oh his chin is questionable"