Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar 2 to be ’similar to the first’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar 2 to be ’similar to the first’
MMAcca
2/11/09 12:23:35AM
“Technically, Lesnar has the ‘real’ belt and he can claim that, I’m not bothered. But I have accomplished more than him on the road to the title…. I see the rematch being a similar fight to the first. He will look to overwhelm me quickly but it’s hard to win fights by just overpowering someone. He has the size and his strength is immense but his technical ability is nowhere near mine.”

LINK
jascri
2/11/09 1:04:16AM
yea baby. give us some good odds on Frankie. Brocks goin to the back of the pack.:banana
Ulfhethnar6
2/11/09 3:13:38AM
Brock is going to be a lot more ready. He knows what to look out for and will be more calm. I doubt this fight will end in the first.
Drudinh
2/11/09 6:34:22AM

Posted by jascri

yea baby. give us some good odds on Frankie. Brocks goin to the back of the pack.

sad that was a total banana fail (but I'll comlete it). But I'll agree with the brock going to the back of the bus now... I hope
nickcuc547
2/11/09 7:47:49AM
brock said he didn't think he was the real champion and that would be decided when he fought frank, and to be honest with you frank didn't do that much more, beating brock who was 1-0 and the great antoni hardonk, i wouldn't be bragging about that road to the title, even if it was tougher than brock's road in beating just herring.
AO
2/11/09 8:03:14AM

Posted by nickcuc547

brock said he didn't think he was the real champion and that would be decided when he fought frank, and to be honest with you frank didn't do that much more, beating brock who was 1-0 and the great antoni hardonk, i wouldn't be bragging about that road to the title, even if it was tougher than brock's road in beating just herring.

i heard mir beat some other guy too. nogueira or soemthing. someone said he was good and hard to finish.
Aether
2/11/09 8:08:00AM

Posted by AO

Posted by nickcuc547

i heard mir beat some other guy too. nogueira or soemthing. someone said he was good and hard to finish.

That was the title shot itself. He's talking about the comment that "I accomplished more on the road to the title shot" meaning his fights leading up to that point were tougher. I have to say that I Brock actually had the tougher road to his belt, he fought 2 top contenders right off the bat as a newcomer to the sport.

Anyway, neither belt is any more legitimate than the other. The fact that nog hadn't defended doesn't make his belt worth any less, IMO. Both belts are the same until they become unified as far as I'm concerned, and I think both fighters look at it the same way.
fizzle
2/11/09 10:54:17AM
I might have to just pick Lesnar in this one, I picked Mir the first time round 1 sub, but i just think that Lesnar has likely learned enough in MMA to be able to avoid some of the basic submission set ups and get back to his feet. If his plan is to ground and pound Frank then he is in for a rough night, Frank's guard is so dangerous as he is such an accomplished JJ player. It will be a tough fight to call, i just think that Brock won't make the same mistakes as he did last time. Brock should be able to dictate where this fight goes with his superior wrestleing, and the canned hams for fists that he slings around should do enough damage to Frank that it won't really matter how good Frank's boxing has got. I want to see someone who has enough confidence and power in their hands to stand and trade with Lesnar because one of the still unknowns about him is how good his chin is, people just can't stand with his canned hams. I think Lesnar Round 2 (T)KO.
gartface
2/11/09 12:06:03PM
Let's see if Mir puts his strategy of ducking into blows to the back of the head into play. Is Mazzagatti the referee for this fight? God I hope not...

The fight will be similar, but not identical. It will be similar in the fact that Brock will dominate Mir's face and have him leave looking like hamburger.
nickcuc547
2/11/09 12:14:16PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by AO

Posted by nickcuc547

That was the title shot itself. He's talking about the comment that "I accomplished more on the road to the title shot" meaning his fights leading up to that point were tougher. I have to say that I Brock actually had the tougher road to his belt, he fought 2 top contenders right off the bat as a newcomer to the sport.

Anyway, neither belt is any more legitimate than the other. The fact that nog hadn't defended doesn't make his belt worth any less, IMO. Both belts are the same until they become unified as far as I'm concerned, and I think both fighters look at it the same way.

thank you, said it better than i did.
MondayNiteMauser
2/11/09 12:25:57PM
This fight will be nothing like the first. I feel its going to be a stand up battle with brock KO frank in the 2nd. I think Mir is going to come in a little over confident in his stand up due to the sucess he had against Nogeria and not try to pull guard like he should do and eventually get KO'd by the beast that is lesnar.
MaxOne
2/11/09 1:32:14PM
when mir refers to his road to the title i'm assuming he's going all the way back to the beginning. fighting, getting title, accident, stripped of title, coming back before he was ready, losing fights, finally winning again, fighting brock, beating nog etc.

JackHammerXXX
2/11/09 1:54:37PM
Mir fought Hardonk!?, then got to fight Brock, before Brock ever fought in the UFC, or on that stage for that matter. So, he had the advantage. And then he got a cruise ship to the title shot by coaching on the TUF season. He got 10 months off from fighting, while in turn, Lesnar fought a perennial top 10 in Herring. Granted besides the first blow, didn't do much damage, or fighting, more like the 300 lb laydown on Heath's back. Then, went on to fight the 'Great' Randy Couture. All to earn his shot. Mir fought a tired, old(by observation), and apparently hurt and injured Nogueira. No disrespect to Big Nog, but he looked horrible in that fight. I love the guy though.
You tell me who had it rougher.Anyway, I got Brock, again, by early TKO. The first time, he had Mir hurt, he just didn't follow through, appropriately. So, to me, two fights against veterans in the game, I think Lesnar will have alot more composure, and poise for this one.
Tein_Lung
2/12/09 2:37:09AM

Posted by MaxOne

when mir refers to his road to the title i'm assuming he's going all the way back to the beginning. fighting, getting title, accident, stripped of title, coming back before he was ready, losing fights, finally winning again, fighting brock, beating nog etc.

i think your right...

i don't think people realize how hard it was for him to come back from having his femur broken in 2 places, and how bad of a depresion he was in