Frank Mir: If Brock Lesnar comes back and smashes somebody, then a rubber match will make sense

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: If Brock Lesnar comes back and smashes somebody, then a rubber match will make sense
emfleek
6/2/11 9:48:50AM
Frank Mir tells it like it is.

Like him or not, there's no one in the sport who is less afraid to be brutally honest than the former two-time UFC heavyweight champion.

Mir is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 130 in a fight that he dominated from start to finish with knees in the clinch, aggressive takedowns, ground and pound and even a judo throw.

With the win, he's now one step closer to potentially fighting for a shot at what would be his third UFC title.

LINK
Theoutlaw08
6/2/11 10:14:27AM
I think Mir has a point. If Brock comes back and wins a fight and maybe Frank gets one more under his belt. They should have a rubber match. Mir has made some strides in his game. I would be more persuaded if he had finished Roy. As much as I hate to say it, I think Mir is on the rise. He seems more in shape than ever.
vomitshovel
6/2/11 11:10:29AM
Yeah Mir looked physically like a beast at 130. I think him being this big will give Lesnar problems, and honestly who wouldn't wanna see this!
Frank Mir
prozacnation1978
6/2/11 11:12:13AM
i believe in 2012 we will see that rubber match
Bubbles
6/2/11 11:47:21AM
Schaub/Nog winner i think will fight either Mir or Lesnar. this fight wont happen til Januaryish which gives Lesnar a ton of time to get healthy and hopefully straighten his illness out. if Mir doesnt want to wait that long, he can fight Mitrione after he beats Morecraft

other fights i can see Lesnar take towards the end of the year: Nelson, Overeem/Werdum loser, Kongo if he beats Barry
hashyandy4
6/2/11 11:49:51AM
I actually dont really want 2 see a rubber match, for whatever reason it just doesnt do it 4 me
KungFuMaster
6/2/11 12:55:47PM
I like the confidence Mir is showing. After the Carwin Incident, Mir seemed to have lost a bit of self-esteem and I was not sure whether he can come back. The Nelson fight proved Mir is still training and is still hungry for another run at the title. Whether or not he does contest for the belt, I would like to see a rubber match between him and Lesnar and or a rematch against Carwin.

As much as I like Mir, I honestly doubt he can take Cain and JDS. Junior's stand up is too crisp and Cain is too good of a wrestler and striker. Mir will have to be at his best if he is to withstand a decent chance against these two HW elites.
finnish_line
6/2/11 1:19:13PM
This is odd to me.

This is the richest fight Mir can take.

He was smashed by Brock in their second fight.

He couldn't finish a guy suffering from obesity and walking pneumonia.
Budgellism
6/2/11 1:21:57PM

Posted by hashyandy4

I actually dont really want 2 see a rubber match, for whatever reason it just doesnt do it 4 me

Same here. I have no interest in it and I probably never will.
Jekyll
6/2/11 1:38:56PM

Posted by finnish_line

This is odd to me.

This is the richest fight Mir can take.

He was smashed by Brock in their second fight.

He couldn't finish a guy suffering from obesity and walking pneumonia.

JDS, the current golden boy for DW couldn't finish Roy... So i do not see why people are complaining that Mir couldn't.

People also forget that Mir made Brock scream like a little girl getting her hair pulled in their first fight.

Mir rushed to put on weight for the Carwinfight, but now it seems hes settled into his larger size. Do not forget Mir has KO power in his knees and hands.

Cain couldn't finish Kongo and Mir dropped Kongo with one hit then chocked him out. Mir has plently of tools to beat both JDS or Cain.

Also look at what Lesnar will be when he gets back... lesner won his fights dude to being a pasty gorrila with blond hair and a phallic tattoo. After having a foot of his guys messed with he will be lucky to be 240 pounds walking around rather then the 290 he was before. Not to mention that will be muscle loss not fat loss it will take time for him to get back to white gorrila big again.
DANZANRYUGUY
6/2/11 1:51:45PM
i would rather see him fight Shaub or Nog again.. i think they would be more entertaining. i can see where Mir is coming from though, i would want some revenge for that last beating too. I think he would take Brock in a 3rd fight.
Jekyll
6/2/11 1:54:53PM

Posted by DANZANRYUGUY

i would rather see him fight Shaub or Nog again.. i think they would be more entertaining. i can see where Mir is coming from though, i would want some revenge for that last beating too. I think he would take Brock in a 3rd fight.

IMO Mir would KO Nog again, Nogs chin is not gettign better, and Mir is getting better standup...
tallica62
6/2/11 2:32:18PM
I'd prefer a teflon match, but I'm just 1 person...
FastKnockout
6/2/11 3:08:43PM
To be honest, I thought he looked like crap in both the Cro Cop and Nelson fight. The Cro Cop fight was just horrible in general, and he gassed in his fight with Nelson halfway through the first round. I think if Lesnar agreed to a rubber match Lesnar will do the same thing he did in their second fight.
Pskinner_mma314
6/2/11 3:09:40PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by hashyandy4

Same here. I have no interest in it and I probably never will.

well if you would like to know why i have no interest in THIS particular rubber match, is that if you put both of there fights together in the sense of who was winning for the longest amount of time, Brock won 98% of both fights, and I personally have no interest in watching Brock (aka the manilla gorilla) hold someone down and just pound them in. Mir just wants to boost his ego, not time for this match just yet, theres so many other people that neither of them have fought, why the hell would we wanna see a fight we've already seen twice when there are so many others out there.

I mean its not like either fight was close.
finnish_line
6/2/11 3:19:13PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

One finish each means they're close, although I think Brock would win #3.

I also don't think there's any way we see him again until June at least.

He said that he came back too quickly before. He should make sure he's at the best he can be since this is probably his last run coming up.

Posted by Jekyll

JDS, the current golden boy for DW couldn't finish Roy... So i do not see why people are complaining that Mir couldn't.

Roy didn't have pnemonia when he fought JDS.

I did think Mir looked very good in the fight, but it's impossible to tell how much of that was because of the weakened condition of Roy.
Jekyll
6/2/11 5:07:48PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

One finish each means they're close, although I think Brock would win #3.

I also don't think there's any way we see him again until June at least.

He said that he came back too quickly before. He should make sure he's at the best he can be since this is probably his last run coming up.

Posted by Jekyll

Roy didn't have pnemonia when he fought JDS.

I did think Mir looked very good in the fight, but it's impossible to tell how much of that was because of the weakened condition of Roy.

i find it curious how most on this forum seem to do everything they can to Discredit every win Mir gets yet when Stann beat a severly sick Lebon he gets nothing but props...
finnish_line
6/3/11 9:31:28AM
Well I didn't comment on the Stann/Leben fight.

But there are definitely some things to look at with Mir's fights.

Mir vs Lesnar 1 - Win over extremely inexperienced fighter.
Mir vs Nogueira - Win over fighter afflicted with staph infection.
Mir vs Lesnar 2 - Destroyed.
Mir vs Kongo - Dominant win, but opponent barely in the top 10.
Mir vs Carwin - Destroyed in first round.
Mir vs Filipovic - Horrible, horrible fight. Win over older HW definitely not in top 10.
Mir vs Nelson - Hard fought 30-27 win, but opponent afflicted with pnemonia.

Do I think Mir has improved a lot and is in the top 5? Yes.

Do I think that Lesnar should have to "smash somebody" before he's worthy of getting in the cage with Mir again? No.
Pskinner_mma314
6/3/11 8:12:46PM

Posted by finnish_line

Well I didn't comment on the Stann/Leben fight.

But there are definitely some things to look at with Mir's fights.

Mir vs Lesnar 1 - Win over extremely inexperienced fighter.
Mir vs Nogueira - Win over fighter afflicted with staph infection.
Mir vs Lesnar 2 - Destroyed.
Mir vs Kongo - Dominant win, but opponent barely in the top 10.
Mir vs Carwin - Destroyed in first round.
Mir vs Filipovic - Horrible, horrible fight. Win over older HW definitely not in top 10.
Mir vs Nelson - Hard fought 30-27 win, but opponent afflicted with pnemonia.

Do I think Mir has improved a lot and is in the top 5? Yes.

Do I think that Lesnar should have to "smash somebody" before he's worthy of getting in the cage with Mir again? No.

Thisq