Frank Mir: 'Brock Lesnar Will Never Beat Me' But No Such Guarantee for Nogueira or Fedor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: 'Brock Lesnar Will Never Beat Me' But No Such Guarantee for Nogueira or Fedor
Next Page »
crushedbacon
12/10/08 1:49:28AM
Frank Mir will fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the UFC interim heavyweight title at the end of this month, and he expects that to be the toughest fight of his career.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/12/10/frank-mir-brock-lesnar-will-never-beat-me-but-no-such-guarant/
cmill21
12/10/08 2:00:28AM
Interesting read. I agree thatNog would find a way to win with those rules lol, Nog doesn't lose, he runs out of time. I do honestly think that Mir would beat Lesnar again, Brock has such a bad stlye to fight JJ guys, he takes you down and just throws with wreckless abandon. He tires quickly and has no sub D.
jakeiceman
12/10/08 2:01:27AM
Really good article, Mir showed alot of respect for his opponents that deserve it.

Now the funny part, he better put his flame suit on because most of the people will just read the headline without looking at the article and start running off with opinion.
Wolfenstein
12/10/08 2:13:34AM
"Lesnar had to grab the cage not to get taken down by Randy Couture, who's 220 pounds. Lesnar isn't the phenom that everyone makes him out to be. He started at 30. Have you ever seen a boxer start at 30 and become a world champion?"

It was funny how he mentioned Randy' Couture, then goes on to claim that Brock won't be a great fighter because he started late. Slight contradiction there "Mur".

Anyways it was a good interview. I don't know why but I like to give Frank Mir a lot of crap, but I actually kind of like the guy. It's cool he's showing a lot of respect to Noguiera, but he needs a slap of confidence. Right now he doesn't believe he's going to beat Nog and you can't win going into a fight with that mentality.

I agree with Frank in that he probably would sub Brock again. Frank has such great offensive BJJ, and that's a really tough fight for Brock right now. Mir should try and carry that attitude into his upcoming fight.
ncordless
12/10/08 2:18:17AM
I agree with Mir. Styles make fights.
RNC
12/10/08 3:12:20AM
"Lesnar hit me so hard I was seeing flashes of light every time they landed."

Lesnar has showed nothing but extreme improvement since his fight with Mir. When he fought Mir he had a bad game plan. He had never been up against a world class submissionist like Mir and he thought he could be wreckless on the ground and get away with it. When he fought Herring he looked like a completely different fighter. He developed a game plan to get position, work gnp, and not get over anxious. He executed it to perfection, winning 10-8 rounds for everyround of the fight. Then against Couture, he did it again. He came in with a game plan and didn't get crazy, and put Couture away. If Mir was seeing flashes of light after 10 seconds of gnp from Lesnar then, its going to be bad news for him if they fight again.

The next time we fight, it's a five-round fight," Mir said. "Even if he beats the s**t out of me for the first two rounds, he won't last.

I would think that Lesnar's cardio is better than Mir's. When have we ever seen Mir go 5 rounds? The guy sounds like he's Matt Hughes. Lesnar beat up Herring bad for a straight 3 rounds and he coulda done it for 3 more.

"until then I'll be putting my shin upside his head"

Doubt it. If Randy Couture couldn't outstrike Lesnar, I don't believe it when I hear Mir say that he will.

If Lesnar and Mir fight again, I think Lesnar can put him away this time.
tomp6581
12/10/08 4:19:32AM
But while Mir had nothing but praise for Nogueira, he has a different attitude toward the man he'll fight if he beats Nogueira, Brock Lesnar. Mir has already defeated Lesnar once, at UFC 81 in February, and he says he's certain that if they fight again, he'll win again.

"Brock Lesnar will never be able to beat me because he has no submission skills," Mir told me. "What's he going to do, knock me out? No one has never knocked me cold. What's he going to do, arm bar me? No way. He is powerful. He is big. But martial arts isn't filled with guys from the NFL. Lesnar had to grab the cage not to get taken down by Randy Couture, who's 220 pounds. Lesnar isn't the phenom that everyone makes him out to be. He started at 30. Have you ever seen a boxer start at 30 and become a world champion?"

I told Mir that most fans think he'd lose a re-match with Lesnar, based on the way Lesnar was pounding him early in their fight. Mir got a brief reprieve when the referee stood the fight up and warned Lesnar about hitting Mir in the back of the head, and shortly after that, Mir submitted Lesnar by catching him in a knee bar.

Mir said he understands why fans think that way, but that he believes he's so much more skilled than Lesnar that he'll be able to beat him even if Lesnar jumps on top of him and lands a series of punches.

"You see, he was completely kicking my ass," Mir said. "He was beating the s**t out of me. But I'm saying I'm going to figure out a way to win. Lesnar hit me so hard I was seeing flashes of light every time they landed. But at no point did quitting ever cross my mind."

Mir also said that, despite Lesnar's freakish athleticism, he thinks he'll have a significant conditioning advantage over the bigger man.

"The next time we fight, it's a five-round fight," Mir said. "Even if he beats the s**t out of me for the first two rounds, he won't last. He's so big, and the bigger you are, the harder it is on your heart. ... Brock can take me down. He's bigger, stronger and wrestled for 20 years. When he's fresh, if he wants to put me on my back, he'll put me on my back. But until then I'll be putting my shin upside his head, and when he does put me on my back, what's he going to do then?"

Looking back on his first fight with Lesnar, Mir said he thinks the UFC chose him to be Lesnar's first opponent in the Octagon because the UFC thought Lesnar would win. Mir said the UFC believed he would fight against Lesnar the same way he fought in 2006 in a loss to Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz, a fight that Mir described as "Frank Mir at his pussiest moment."

But Mir says he's advanced so far as a martial artist since then that he barely recognizes the version of himself who lost to Cruz.

"I watch that fight now and it completely haunts me," Mir said. "By training with Ken Hahn, who comes from that full-contact karate school where he's hitting me in the back of the head while I'm hitting the bag, I learned that pain is a temporary state."

Frank Mir will fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the UFC interim heavyweight title at the end of this month, and he expects that to be the toughest fight of his career.

"I'm watching all of Nogueira's old fights to get ready," Mir told me when we talked this week. "He's a great martial artist."

Mir said he's training as hard as he ever has for the Nogueira fight -- which will take place at UFC 92 on December 27 in Las Vegas -- because he believes he needs to fight better than he ever has before. And he also said he thinks he's going to need to out-fight Nogueira for 25 minutes and convince the judges that he's won at least three out of five rounds, because Nogueira is simply too tough to be knocked out or submitted. All in all, Mir knows he has a very, very big challenge ahead of him.

Mir said it's that training that gives him a chance to beat Nogueira in two weeks, and that makes him certain he'll beat Lesnar if he gets the opportunity in 2009.

But there's one person Mir doesn't think he could beat: Fedor Emelianenko.

"Fedor's the best heavyweight in the world," Mir told me. "I hope one day I could fight him and do well, but right now he's better than I am. As a martial artist you have to be truthful about yourself so you can approach your training properly and get better. Fedor has great killer instinct, he's tough, he's strong. If I fought him I'd try to catch him in a submission, but I don't know if Fedor can be beaten. He's the best heavyweight."

However, in a sign of just how much respect Mir has for his next opponent, Mir said he believes that Nogueira could beat Fedor. Although Fedor twice beat Nogueira by unanimous decision, Mir says that if those two fought for long enough -- and without judges -- Nogueira would figure out a way to come out on top.

"If Nogueira and Fedor fought in a fight with no time limit, I would bet on Nogueira," Mir said.

Fortunately for Mir, there is a time limit when he fights Nogueira, and he thinks he can beat Nogueira in 25 minutes. And Lesnar in less than that.
Manfred
12/10/08 6:49:23AM
What's Mir supposed to say? "He's improved so much an I got lucky last time"

Granted, he could've been a little more respectful about it, but I'd expect any fighter to be confident he'd win a fight, esp. if he's already beaten him once fairly recently.
Jackelope
12/10/08 7:59:40AM
I bet on Mir 1st round submission in their first fight, and I'd bet on Mir by submission in their next fight.

that being said, the rest of the article was great
cameron
12/10/08 8:06:24AM
all this crap mir is talking doesn't even matter becuase he wont have a rematch because he will loose to nogueira. And even if he did fight brock again i really dont think he would win. becuase mir was on the verge of getting knocked out before the fight was stood up. but mir just needs to worry about winning this fight and not so much on the next one.
finnish_line
12/10/08 9:28:58AM

"Brock Lesnar will never be able to beat me because he has no submission skills," Mir told me. "What's he going to do, knock me out? No one has never knocked me cold. What's he going to do, arm bar me? No way."

Why in interviews do MMA fighters never bring up the possibility of ref stoppage?
scoozna
12/10/08 10:52:59AM

Posted by finnish_line

"Why in interviews do MMA fighters never bring up the possibility of ref stoppage?

Great point - I see this as the most likely scenario , with a KO a close second. If Brock finds a way to control Mir on the ground, he'll hammerfist him into oblivion.
Twenty20Dollars
12/10/08 11:30:23AM
Mir should prolly stop running his mouth, I mean all this crap on TUF towards nogueria and then lesnar.

I'll tell you what, I think lesnar has prolly improved more than Mir has since his accident. Last contender Mir faced was at the time Vera who tko'd him.
wiggum
12/10/08 11:41:43AM

Posted by cmill21

Nog doesn't lose, he runs out of time. I

hahaha...one of the best quotes ive heard in a long time! and so true

in regards to the article....i like the fedor - nog fight subject, but i still think fedor takes it 9 time out of 10....there is no exposable chinks in fedors armor, and atleast mir is man enough to admit that he most likely couldnt beat him.....also the points on lesnar i liked cuz those are my thoughts exactly...im not hating on lesnar, just think mirs right....mma is a tough game to master
Wolf
12/10/08 11:47:06AM

Posted by RNC

Lesnar has showed nothing but extreme improvement since his fight with Mir. When he fought Mir he had a bad game plan. He had never been up against a world class submissionist like Mir and he thought he could be wreckless on the ground and get away with it. When he fought Herring he looked like a completely different fighter. He developed a game plan to get position, work gnp, and not get over anxious. He executed it to perfection, winning 10-8 rounds for everyround of the fight. Then against Couture, he did it again. He came in with a game plan and didn't get crazy, and put Couture away. If Mir was seeing flashes of light after 10 seconds of gnp from Lesnar then, its going to be bad news for him if they fight again.

Herring isn't even CLOSE to the submission machine Mir is. Neither is Couture. We won't know how much Lesnar has improved until he fights another submission guy. The only evidence you need to support my first statement is to watch Herring/Kongo. That was the ugliest fight I've ever seen. They both looked like a couple of white belts.
4u2nv
12/10/08 11:53:19AM
wow Mir just gained a little respect from me... and i have to agree with most of the points he's making. I hope for war on the 27th.... but Nog's hand to be raised at the end of it.
mattjonesy
12/10/08 12:08:47PM
i dont understand mirs logic in this interview saying he will beat lesnar. from what ive seen of lesnar now does anybody think that he would even attampt to take mir down in a rematch? i dont think so i think brock will feel more than safe standing with mir and would probably ko him. he says that he had to grab the fence because 220 pound guy was gonna take him down! that 220 pound guy has got better take downs than mir will ever have! i really couldnt see mir beating brock again.
BIGKAT
12/10/08 12:11:14PM
I agree with MIR. Mir has Lesnars number, just like Rampage has Chucks number.

Brock couldnt finish him, even with his best punches and then skill won out over brute force.... Mir wins 3 times out of 3 :)
finnish_line
12/10/08 1:23:10PM

Posted by BIGKAT

Brock couldnt finish him, even with his best punches and then skill won out over brute force.... Mir wins 3 times out of 3 :)

They were about two seconds from Brock finishing him when Mazz stood them up and took a point away from Brock, even though Mir turned his head away thus making the back of the head shot unintentional.

Brock would win the next two times, most likely.
Near07
12/10/08 1:46:03PM
I agree with Mir, Brock will lose to either himself or nog...He won't be champ for long. You can say Brock would have won if they weren't stood up...but you could also say if Brock wasn't hanging on the fence holding himself up Couture would have won. Brock would not have got off his back and he knew it!! So with any fight theres always the "could have done this, should have done this" If Randy would have done a Lui Kang bicycle kick across the octagon he would have won but he didn't Anyway The 27th will be an awesome night of fights, i can't wait!!
The-Don
12/10/08 2:21:30PM
I agree great interview overall.. I agree with Mir's thinking his best chance to win against nog is going to the decision and to hope he showed the refs he worked harder and did more. and the assesment of Nog and Fedor is interesting.. in an untimed match Nog would have a better chance of winning but that is assuming Fedor does not prepare for a no time limit.. That would be a contest of cardio.. and to me Fedor and Nog both look like Cardio monsters.. that would be the only way I want to see a another rematch of those two..

As for Mir and Lesnar.. I think a rematch would be interesting.. if it stayed standing I'd give the edge to brock.. that first fight the punches he was throwing were not great.. It is obviouos from the Randy fight that brock has learned to throw a proper punch. so I expect his punches to be more effective.. The big question is, How fast if Brock picking up his Jui jitsu skills? True I doubt he'll ever catch mir in skill level on the ground but he is a better wrestler. the question is will brock learn enough to see a sub when its coming and avoid it to work the GnP.
Who is Brock train BJJ with?
I see this still a close call it just depend on if brock takes him to the ground or keeps it standing.

As for his assesment of Randy and Brock. While true Brock grabbed the fence in his defence when someone is grabbing you and trying to slam you down it is pure instinct to reach out and grab something to keep yourself up... People need to stop complaining about this it happens in many fights... the only way to stop it is use a fence which much smaller links or do a glass type of enclosure that is smooth. if they go with smaller links they would need to make them small enough so that not even a pinky finger could slip thoguht or the cage could end up causing alot of hand and finger injuries. then the cage links might be to small to really see through.
jiujitsufreak74
12/10/08 2:30:57PM
Did anyone else catch this?

"By training with Ken Hahn, who comes from that full-contact karate school where he's hitting me in the back of the head while I'm hitting the bag, I learned that pain is a temporary state."

that is a very obscure training method at the very least. i am interested to see how this will effect Mir in the octagon.

this was a great read and shows the side of Mir that the TUF producers didn't want you to see.
motorboatensob
12/10/08 3:09:54PM
Had Mir not got saved by the ref in there first fight this wouldn't even be a topic. He can't stand with Brock he can't take him down so how is he going to beat him. If they fought again Brock would just stand with him. We all know Mir can't take a punch, when Brock hit him he was almost out. When Vera hit him he was out, so tell me again how he would bet him.
imanidiot777
12/10/08 3:31:00PM

Posted by cmill21

Interesting read. I agree thatNog would find a way to win with those rules lol, Nog doesn't lose, he runs out of time. I do honestly think that Mir would beat Lesnar again, Brock has such a bad stlye to fight JJ guys, he takes you down and just throws with wreckless abandon. He tires quickly and has no sub D.

How many rounds did Brock go against Herring, oh wait, 3 rounds? He still looked like he could keep going. He got tired against Randy because it was a title fight and he was nervous as hell, said so himself. Did he take Randy down and throw wreckless abandon? Oh wait, he stood up for more of the fight than not and didn't go nuts until he put him down with a punch. As far as no sub defense, that was his first UFC fight, he had two more and managed to win, we have no idea how far is defense has come, could be horrible still, could be decent.
imanidiot777
12/10/08 3:35:54PM

Posted by RNC

The next time we fight, it's a five-round fight," Mir said. "Even if he beats the s**t out of me for the first two rounds, he won't last.

I would think that Lesnar's cardio is better than Mir's. When have we ever seen Mir go 5 rounds? The guy sounds like he's Matt Hughes. Lesnar beat up Herring bad for a straight 3 rounds and he coulda done it for 3 more.

"until then I'll be putting my shin upside his head"

Doubt it. If Randy Couture couldn't outstrike Lesnar, I don't believe it when I hear Mir say that he will.

If Lesnar and Mir fight again, I think Lesnar can put him away this time.

I think he'd definitely win if they fought again because he wouldn't even need to go to the ground. He could beat Mir standing up at this point. And we haven't seen him fight another JJ guy and it has been 10 months since that fight, he could have gotten somewhat better? Considering how fast he improved his striking I wouldn't doubt it.

Why does Mir continually talk about their size difference? Mir weighed in at 255 for their fight and Brock only 10 lbs heavier. He's going to tell me THAT EXACT 10 lbs is what makes ALL the cardio difference? NO! When Mir fought Wes Simms he was BEAT, he could barely throw the punches to knock him OUT!
imanidiot777
12/10/08 3:37:03PM

Posted by BIGKAT

I agree with MIR. Mir has Lesnars number, just like Rampage has Chucks number.

Even with his best punches? DID YOU SEE his first punch in the Herring fight or did you even WATCH and see as he clearly beat Randy in the stand up game?
imanidiot777
12/10/08 3:39:48PM
Now I am going to get flamed and called a Brock nuthugger but you know what? I really don't care. I'm not going to sit here and claim that Brock can beat Noguiera because I would never pick Brock in that fight. Anything can happen but I don't see it. But since when did Frank Mir become some unstoppable fighter? He's had some questionable losses and he talks about him having better cardio than Lesnar when he has barely EVER had any cardio himself!
cmill21
12/10/08 3:44:14PM

Posted by imanidiot777
How many rounds did Brock go against Herring, oh wait, 3 rounds? He still looked like he could keep going. He got tired against Randy because it was a title fight and he was nervous as hell, said so himself. Did he take Randy down and throw wreckless abandon? Oh wait, he stood up for more of the fight than not and didn't go nuts until he put him down with a punch. As far as no sub defense, that was his first UFC fight, he had two more and managed to win, we have no idea how far is defense has come, could be horrible still, could be decent.

And he was huffing and puffing hard after round one with Randy...So now his fight will not be a title fight right? Lol yeah he did go after Randy with wreckless abandon as soon as it hit the floor. He's not going to develop good JJ defense in the amount of time he's been training, remember Mir is a very good BB and I guess Nog is ok at JJ. Hop off Brocks nuts, he's a big wrestler who beat a small wrestler, and controlled Herring which Kongo almost did, big woop.
higdon10
12/10/08 3:50:33PM

Posted by BIGKAT

I agree with MIR. Mir has Lesnars number,

How do you figure he has Lesnar's number? He has beat him once and it wasn't a dominating performance at all.
MaxOne
12/10/08 4:32:44PM

Posted by Near07

...but you could also say if Brock wasn't hanging on the fence holding himself up Couture would have won.

I do say that:)
Pages: [1] 2