Frank Mir or Big Nog

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir or Big Nog
TheNatural915
12/31/08 2:04:10PM
What were you more surprised by at UFC 92, how good Frank Mir looked or how bad Big Nog looked?
Bobbymma
12/31/08 2:07:53PM
I would say how good Frank Mir looked during the fight.
dannyfrank
12/31/08 2:11:19PM
i was equally shocked in all honesty
TheNatural915
12/31/08 2:14:53PM
I was surprised at how good Mir looked but Big Nog just took my breath away on how bad he looked. I guess he is a little seasoned for the sport.
higdon10
12/31/08 2:16:15PM
I was far more suprised in how good Mir looked. He fought the best fight possible. Nog has looked better, but he had no answer for a Frank Mir that was on top of his game.
HumanTarget
12/31/08 2:19:28PM
Nog had staph so it didn't surprise me once I found out the truth.
SmileR
12/31/08 3:18:44PM
Nogs a cool guy but in his last few fights he hasn't looked as great as he used to. Back in pride he was second best only to Fedor and there is not one ounce of shame in that, but during his last few fights he hasn't looked anywhere near as dominant as he did in Pride. Yeah he used to take a beating an always fought in tough wars but he always looked like he knew what was going on.

I don't want people to get the wrong end of the stick and think I'm flaming him but he hasn't looked as impressive since joining the UFC. Against Herring he looked his best since joining but still didn't look like the Nog from Pride. I hope its just him adjusting to a new environment and not the beginning of the end.
That being said I still think Nog would pull Lesnar's arm off if they fought. and could beat almost any of the HW in the UFC but I think his loss to Mir was because Mir fought the better fight. Had quicker hands and moved a hell of a lot more.
Nog didn't look much different to the other fights he has had since joining the UFC just this time Mir capitalized when he looked rocked.

All that being said Mir looked seriously impressive and hopefully he's back to his best.
I'm pretty sure I repeated myself a lot then!

Anyway I was more impressed by how good Mir looked.
RIGGINS
12/31/08 3:36:04PM
I couldn't believe how precise Frank Mir was with his striking.
He absolutely deserved the belt after that display.
The comments about Nog's decline in his last few fights is definitely true.
He took a beating from Tim Sylvia before subbing him, AND from Heath Herring, as well.
I hope it's just a bad streak for him. I'd hate for it to be the beginning of the end.
gsquat
12/31/08 3:38:28PM
I don't want to take anything away by saying Nog didn't look good. Mir was very impressive and followed through with his combos the way every fighter should. Nog has never been fast, and it really showed against Mir's fewfound handspeed. I'm second-guessing picking Brock now.
ohiostate1016
12/31/08 3:57:43PM
I didn't really think that Mir looked all THAT great. But then again, I wasn't as surprised after thinking about it at how bad Nog looked, because those beatings had to catch up with him eventually. I'd still probably say Mir, though, because I thought he had absolutely no shot.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/31/08 4:32:42PM
I was shocked on how mir was crisp in his boxing but equally shocked on how nog looked like zombie
gsquat
12/31/08 4:39:53PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I didn't really think that Mir looked all THAT great. But then again, I wasn't as surprised after thinking about it at how bad Nog looked, because those beatings had to catch up with him eventually. I'd still probably say Mir, though, because I thought he had absolutely no shot.

I think the shock was in comparison to how Mir's hands used to look to how they were in that fight. To me that was a truly shocking turn around.
telnights
12/31/08 4:50:13PM
Mir looking like a totally changed fighter. Mir has never looked good in the stand up department and he looked like he had been doing it for years in that fight. His strikes were fast, hard, and on the mark almost every time. Before Mir looked almost lost standing.
Wallass
12/31/08 5:31:17PM
Yeah very impressive striking by Mir and yeah Nog has yet to really impress me since moving to the UFC. Fedor would still kill Mir!
Franklinfan47
1/1/09 3:17:25PM
Probably a bit of both. Nog came in a little overweight (supposedly due to a staph infection?) Mir also looked better then I've ever seen him though.
cmill21
1/1/09 3:47:27PM
Equally shocked.
EvenFlow
1/1/09 4:21:16PM
Both, but more so Nog.
Diamondback2
1/1/09 7:38:31PM
I was impressed with how good Mir looked for sure.

I picked Mir by KO/TKO in the second and honestly was picking that thinking Mir would use almost all kicks (mainly leg kicks) and than catch Nog with a head kick in the second and TKO him. Also i figured neither fighter would want to much to do with the ground game.

I NEVER expected Mir to come out and pretty much out-box nog. I picked that match on the money and was totally suprised by Mir STILL!

If MIr can keep this level of intensity and game panning for a while he could finally e what everyone thought he would be b4 the motorcycle accident. With a thin HW division the only threats off the top of my head are Lesnar, Dos Santos, or Couture.

To be honest though i almost switched my pick to Nog about 100 times the day before the fight. BUt when i saw Frank looked better in his weigh-in pics than his UFC 81 pics and Nog looked chubbier than usual. So that finally set my pick in stone!
TheNatural915
1/5/09 8:49:10AM
Mir did look great no doubt about that
BrutalKnockOut
1/5/09 4:30:38PM
Frank Mir looked like a different fighter out there, it was great to see him get the win.