With Frank Mir Out, Andrei Arlovski Offers To Fight Daniel Cormier

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » With Frank Mir Out, Andrei Arlovski Offers To Fight Daniel Cormier
Budgellism
9/20/12 9:29:19PM
As of two days ago Frank Mir became the latest Zuffa fighter to suffer an injury, the Strikeforce superfight between him and Daniel Cormier was off the cards. There's no replacement yet, but Fabricio Werdum has put his hat in the ring as a potential challenger for the SF Grand Prix winner. Yesterday, former UFC heavyweight champion and Strikeforce fighter Andrei Arlovski also offered to step in on short notice. MMA Fighting has the info:

"I'm getting a lot of tweets about fighting (Daniel Cormier)," former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski tweeted yesterday. "And if the fans want to see it, I'm sure we can make it happen!"

Arlovski eventually deleted his initial tweet, however his timeline quickly became inundated with a flood of retweets and quotes from fans calling for "The Pitbull" to return to his old Strikeforce stomping grounds.

LINK
ghandikush
9/20/12 9:33:21PM

Posted by Budgellism

As of two days ago Frank Mir became the latest Zuffa fighter to suffer an injury, the Strikeforce superfight between him and Daniel Cormier was off the cards. There's no replacement yet, but Fabricio Werdum has put his hat in the ring as a potential challenger for the SF Grand Prix winner. Yesterday, former UFC heavyweight champion and Strikeforce fighter Andrei Arlovski also offered to step in on short notice. MMA Fighting has the info:

"I'm getting a lot of tweets about fighting (Daniel Cormier)," former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski tweeted yesterday. "And if the fans want to see it, I'm sure we can make it happen!"

Arlovski eventually deleted his initial tweet, however his timeline quickly became inundated with a flood of retweets and quotes from fans calling for "The Pitbull" to return to his old Strikeforce stomping grounds.

LINK

He wants to get ktfo again?
tcunningham
9/20/12 9:38:05PM
this is a terrible idea. i already said this, but i think they should just bring cormier into the ufc for one of the cards coming up. maybe a November or December card. i hate to see cormier wait too long for fights, the guy is mid to later 30's right?
SpiderSilva
9/20/12 9:52:03PM

I would enjoy this.
prophecy033
9/20/12 10:01:50PM
Easy figjt for Cormier IMO

1st rd KO
george112
9/20/12 10:27:53PM
AAs only chance would be to effectively use his reach and pick him apart.

Sadly I dont think he'd take that route.
aussiemma
9/20/12 11:48:46PM
Anthony johnson is a heavyweight now right ?
infestructure
9/21/12 12:06:26AM

Posted by george112

Still want to see him try though WAR AA
Sir_Karl
9/21/12 4:06:56AM
Now is Tim Sylvia's chance!!! I bet he would fight Cormier. Cormier would probably KO Arlovski within the first two minutes if they ended up fighting though. I wish Zuffa would or could dissolve Striekforce already though.I want to see Strikeforce assimilated into the UFC. It has been long overdue. There is some contractual mumbo jumbo about Strikeforce fighters not being able to fight for the UFC as long as Strikeforce is on Showtime but this makes no sense as Diaz, Miller, Bigfoot,Shields and Henderson have done it. Strikeforce is a dead horse that has been dead for a long time now.
bigrand826
9/21/12 8:00:22AM

Posted by tcunningham

this is a terrible idea. i already said this, but i think they should just bring cormier into the ufc for one of the cards coming up. maybe a November or December card. i hate to see cormier wait too long for fights, the guy is mid to later 30's right?

Doesn't he have to fulfill one more fight on his Strikeforce contract before he can come over, though?
postman
9/21/12 8:11:58AM

Posted by george112

He would Prob start by doing that then he would allow himself to get pushed to the cage wont move his damn head and then get thunder punched to end the game. Its happened so many times now.
bigrand826
9/21/12 8:53:02AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Now is Tim Sylvia's chance!!! I bet he would fight Cormier. Cormier would probably KO Arlovski within the first two minutes if they ended up fighting though. I wish Zuffa would or could dissolve Striekforce already though.I want to see Strikeforce assimilated into the UFC. It has been long overdue. There is some contractual mumbo jumbo about Strikeforce fighters not being able to fight for the UFC as long as Strikeforce is on Showtime but this makes no sense as Diaz, Miller, Bigfoot,Shields and Henderson have done it. Strikeforce is a dead horse that has been dead for a long time now.

The reason those contracts now have that mumbo-jumbo is because Zuffa moved a lot of the Strikeforce talent/draws to UFC already (the guys you mentioned). Strikeforce and Showtime couldn't put on cards that people wanted to see if it continued.

If I remember correctly, Shields' contract was up (Strikeforce had an option to match the offer), and he signed with the UFC. Apparently Strikeforce contracts didn't have the champion clause, or it was limited to giving them the ability to match offers.

The Nick Diaz situation was different. He still was under contract with Strikeforce, but due to the lack of intriguing fights, he was looking to box. Zuffa ended up getting the contract changed. He was going to fight GSP in lieu of boxing (new contract prevented him from boxing). So in this instance, Diaz was essentially stolen from Strikeforce by the UFC.

I believe Henderson's contract was up with his win over Fedor. Zuffa already owned Strikeforce at that time. UFC signed him. Hendo was the Strikeforce LHW champ, so again, they must not have had a champion clause.

I believe Bigfoot and Werdum were both still under Strikeforce contract, but with Zuffa owning Strikeforce, they just redid their contracts to sign them to the UFC.

The Overeem situation was weird. He was 'cut' from Strikeforce because he wasn't going to be able to make the date for the tourney final due to injury. Then there was some problems in negotiating with the UFC, but ultimately he was signed to UFC.

All of these instances, I believe led to the addition of this contractual mumbo-jumbo. If the UFC kept taking all of Strikeforce's talent, then the Showtime slots would be headlined by guys like Bobby Voelker, Ryan Couture, Keith Jardine, etc. Only the real hardcore fans would watch those cards. Cards with Rousey would still get good numbers, but the UFC would have taken Melendez, Rockhold, Jacare, Kennedy, Woodley, etc. leaving nobody else that could headline and draw.
ghandikush
9/21/12 9:44:01AM
Give him Sylvia so we can see Sylvia get KTFO yet again.....
emfleek
9/21/12 10:13:05AM

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by tcunningham

Doesn't he have to fulfill one more fight on his Strikeforce contract before he can come over, though?

Strikeforce has an obligation to Showtime to provide a "plus 1" fight for the winner of the Grand Prix - meaning Cormier has to fight one more fight since he won the Grand Prix. I believe that's the holdup, anyways.
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
9/21/12 10:14:21AM
I say send Overeem back to StrikeForce and see who the real Grand Prix Champion is.
ghandikush
9/21/12 10:27:17AM

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

I say send Overeem back to StrikeForce and see who the real Grand Prix Champion is.

This! we all knew Fedor was scurred of the Uber
Boo_Radley21
9/21/12 10:31:51AM
This is about the last fight I would have used to replace the old one.

They should replace him with Chael Sonnen
bjj1605
9/21/12 12:29:23PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

This! we all knew Fedor was scurred of the Uber

I just gave you props for the last post of yours I saw and now I want to take them back.
frizzzlecake
9/21/12 1:15:57PM
I don't get why people say this is a easy fight for Cormier.

Besides AA having some of the best TDD in UFC history, he's also likely faster than DC, also hits harder than anyone DC has faced, while being smaller. DC has used his smaller size as in advantage something he won't be able to do with AA. A great fight to see how DC does with someone with great TDD and fast hard hitting strikes... like JDS expect without the chin.
NaturalBornKiller92
9/22/12 3:31:25PM
Not interested in cormier fighting anyone except overeem. If they can't get that fight put together than I would just rather see him in the ufc.