Frank Mir $45k?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Frank Mir $45k?
fullfighting
7/14/09 7:36:46PM
I know we've been over this and over this, but Frank Mir getting $45k is a flipping joke. Out of all the payouts that one seemed really LOW to me. Thiago's $60k also seemed really low but Frank has been at this for a long time and it kind-of pisses me off.
Jackelope
7/14/09 7:41:09PM
I'm sure a lot of it has to deal with when he renewed his contract. He is probably still riding on a contract that reflects the post-motorcycle-accident Frank Mir we saw for a few fights.

If I remember correctly, back in the day when he beat Tim Sylvia he was actually one of the better paid competitors. Back in those days he appeared unstoppable, though, and he probably renegotiated his contract while on that hot streak.

I hope for Mir's sake that this wasn't his last fight on his current contract. It'd be nice to see him have a chance at renewing coming off of a win. Also- it should be known that since he was part of the main event he most likely has a PPV bonus negotiated into that fight.
BarryScott
7/14/09 11:37:24PM
Do people still think these figures are a genuine representative of what the fighter's get paid?
noahgenda
7/15/09 12:03:01AM
it is an indication of scale

but i think these guys dont get paid enough regardless, not compared to the money they generate
BarryScott
7/15/09 12:10:32AM

Posted by noahgenda

but i think these guys dont get paid enough regardless, not compared to the money they generate

It's not that easy though, in boxing you pay 2 guys a lot of money.

In this event you have 6 big guys to pay plus the rest.
roadking95th
7/15/09 12:48:51AM
How much do they exactly generate and how much do they exactly make?

All I know is that they make a lot. I heard the interviewer say, during a discussion with Mir post fight, that Brock made or will make 3 million. Is it true? I don't know.

I do know Randy made a lot more than was published during his spat with the UFC and that Dana has said Chuck has made more than enough to retire. I am sure he isn't refering to his $250,000 per fight pay outs.
cmill21
7/15/09 12:59:15AM

Posted by BarryScott

Posted by noahgenda

Consider Floyd made 25 million for the De La Hoya fight, do you think the entire crew of UFC fighters at UFC 100 made that much? The total fighter payout for the main event that night was 83 million, how many UFC event do you think it takes for the fighters to make that?
fonduktoe
7/15/09 2:03:25AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by BarryScott

Posted by noahgenda

Consider Floyd made 25 million for the De La Hoya fight, do you think the entire crew of UFC fighters at UFC 100 made that much? The total fighter payout for the main event that night was 83 million, how many UFC event do you think it takes for the fighters to make that?

i'm gonna agree with you after i reheat a burrito
i hate threads about fighter payouts
DCRage
7/15/09 12:36:59PM
A lot of people forget that these "disclosed" fighter payouts are only their fight purse. They DO NOT include the bonuses of the night (for the fighters who get those), sponsor money they may receive, other unreported bonuses they may get paid backstage, etc.
BarryScott
7/15/09 12:58:21PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by BarryScott

Posted by noahgenda

I don't get what point you're trying to make and why you quoted me
cowcatcher
7/15/09 1:11:45PM
in boxing there isnt just one fight on the card so all the money isnt going to just 2 guys, i dont get what you were trying to say there at all. there is always a full night of fights, its just that only some are part of the ppv just like in mma. so what was the point of your post?
cmill21
7/15/09 8:19:18PM

Posted by BarryScott

Those 6 guys didn't make anywhere near what one of those 2 make. Comparing an event pay scale in boxing and MMA is not a comparison. Boxers make a way higher % then the UFC fighters. I know all about the sponsors, ect but what do sponsorship doller have to do with the UFC?(other then them banning alot of them). Frank Mir made more then the 45k, but like Keith Jardine fighters that make it to their level should get a raise when they deserve it, especially considering the UFC can release them if they are doing poorly.
Wolfenstein
7/15/09 8:25:45PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by BarryScott

Those 6 guys didn't make anywhere near what one of those 2 make. Comparing an event pay scale in boxing and MMA is not a comparison. Boxers make a way higher % then the UFC fighters. I know all about the sponsors, ect but what do sponsorship doller have to do with the UFC?(other then them banning alot of them). Frank Mir made more then the 45k, but like Keith Jardine fighters that make it to their level should get a raise when they deserve it, especially considering the UFC can release them if they are doing poorly.

They probably do make a higher %, but the UFC isn't generating Floyd Mayweather vs Oscar totals. That event generated $120 million in revenue, and the live gate was $19 million.
Jackelope
7/15/09 8:33:07PM

Posted by DCRage

A lot of people forget that these "disclosed" fighter payouts are only their fight purse. They DO NOT include the bonuses of the night (for the fighters who get those), sponsor money they may receive, other unreported bonuses they may get paid backstage, etc.

I agree with some of what Cmill is saying, but I also wanted to specifically address the sponsor money issue you bring up here, DC.

This kind of raises a question about business ethics, IMO. Especially with the recent dealings the UFC has done in regards to sponsors. I feel like sponsor money is something athletes should be allowed to keep completely separate from the purse they actually make in the Octagon. So, to me, justifying Frank Mir's 45k pay day by bringing up his sponsor money doesn't fit IMO.

Now, of course there is the argument that the UFC provides the arena within which those companies market their goods, but I'd be curious to know how the NFL deals with companies such as underarmor or Nike in these same situations. (Does anyone know by any chance?) I just wonder, from an ethics standpoint, where you draw the line as far as sponsors go. Yes, the UFC provides the arena within which you market these sponsors' goods, but if the UFC is going to now be making money off of these sponsors who were lined up by the fighters and their agents, couldn't the roles be reversed and the argument be made that the UFC is making money off of their fighters more so than the fighters are making money off of the UFC?

Just something to think about. If reading my jibberish there made any sense.
RandyCouture
7/15/09 8:51:19PM
i'm too lazy to read thru all the others but when you see websites say the athletic commissions pay for the fighters such as frank mirs 45k that is not the exact money they make. For example when couture was fighting with the ufc over money and the ufc had that big press conference saying how much money he made during that fight, i remember the website said 400k 200k to show 200k to win. But during the ufc press conference they said he made over 3 million dollars. Plus Randy said he made almost as much in sponsors so he prob made around 5 million dollars in that fight. Regardless of how much boxers make ufc guys are still making some money, but dont worry in 10 years or so ufc guys will be making top dollar like boxing guys make, because boxing is losing fans and ufc is growing huge.
cmill21
7/15/09 11:15:39PM
I know the NHL charges 100,000$ per peice of equiptment that have. So they pay 100,000 for sticks, gloves ect. However there are no players in the NHL making under 100,000$, which there is in the UFC. IMO the UFC is pretending they are like the NHL, NFL, MLB, etc. charging the sponsors. Unlike the leauges I mentioned however, the UFC and all the brands are very new. Bauer for instance is one of if not the biggest company in hockey, do you think their revenue compares with Tapouts? Not likely. I would be cool if the UFC charged 10,000 for companies to be able to sponsor fighters, thats more realistic. Also the NHL has not and will not ban any gear that I know of. Yeah I know the UFC doesn't generate as much ppv money as the Mayweather Oscar fight but I garentee the UFC fighters don't get 60+% of what the UFC brings in.
tomp6581
7/16/09 10:16:41AM
That figure is so low for a top 5 HW who has been around for years.

I suppose we dont know what he is getting paid for his share of the ppv etc but it is still low.

Mir should sack his agent.
Leland
7/16/09 10:30:05AM
Considering the age of the UFC, these guys are getting paid decently. It will just be a matter of time before all the new fighters that are making 5-10k now will be making more than 25k+ a year, and the big names will be in the millions. But at this point, UFC is not at that level yet. I do agree its insane to see a fighter in the UFC (the big leagues of MMA) to be getting paid 5,000 bucks. That is chump change.

Don't forget fight bonuses too. And sponsorship pay.
Rush
7/16/09 9:49:39PM
Just for fun I decided to track GSP's salary with his progress in the UFC. I know it's not the best example because GSP never went through a real rough patch, but I could care less about Mir.

UFC 46 - Karo - ($3,000 for fighting; $3,000 win bonus)
UFC 48 - Heiron - ($4,000 to fight; $4,000 to win)
UFC 50 - Hughes - not disclosed - note that this was where GSP was moved to main card and had title shot. To give you an idea, Hughes made ($55,000 to fight; $55,000 to win) at UFC 52, so by looking at GSPs numbers he probably made 1/10 of Hughes salary.
UFC 52 - Miller - ($9,000 to fight; $9,000 to win)
UFC 54 - Trigg - ($13,000 to fight; $15,000 to win)
UFC 56 - Sherk - ($16,000 to fight; $19,000 to win)
UFC 58 - Penn - $48,000
UFC 65 - Hughes - ($58,000)
UFC 69 - Serra - not disclosed
UFC 74 - Koscheck - $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
UFC 79 - Hughes - $160,000
UFC 83 - Serra - not disclosed
UFC 87 - Fitch - not disclosed
UFC 94 - Penn - $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)
UFC 100 - Alves - $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)
CanadianCripplr
7/18/09 12:42:15AM
Mayweather and floyd get more because they arent contracted employees to a company who also needs to make its share for the risk of using their capital. There are many more paid employes the UFC has to pay on their end, not to mention the money they spend promoting which seems to be getting bigger with every event. The shows leading up to the PPV are topnotch and are worth what they cost in the hype they generate.
Sayin this tho, the fighters are underpaid, especially the poor buggers on the low end of the scale. At 5 to 10k per fight they cant be making enough to cover their costs.
I think we will see that the next time alot of top guys are up for contracts, there will be some significant raises given...
RNC
7/21/09 12:24:58AM
I see people are still making comparisions to Boxers making $20M and some UFC fighters barely making $20K. But if you take a look at the timeline of the two sports you'll see why.

Boxing has been around for over 6,000 years. Superstars like Muhammad Ali date back to the early 1960's, and legends like Sugar Ray Robinson date back to the early 1940's. Boxing has been an olympic sport since the year 1908, over an entire century ago.

MMA, on the other hand, is still not legal in all 50 states in the US. Just back in the early 2000's, the UFC was commonly reffered to as "human **** fighting". Zuffa has only owned the UFC for 8 years, and it wasn't until 3 years ago that the company started making its mainstream emergence. And this is just in the United States. Globaly, in places like Germany, the sport is still where it was 10 years ago. When the UFC went to Cologne for UFC 99, Child protection services requested a ban on minors' attendance of the event.

Now, I do agree 100% that UFC fighters should be making the same, if not more than boxers do. The sport is legitamant and the fighters deserve better paydays than they are recieving. But the UFC is still in its early stages. Compared to how long boxing has been around, the UFC is simply a baby still growing in the womb. It needs time to develop before it can reach its full potential.

The more time passes the bigger the UFC will get, along with MMA as a whole. And I can assure you that once this sport is considered mainstream throughout the US and it begins to really be excepted across the entire globe, the fighter paydays will get better, guarenteed. Just give it time.
Art_Jimmerson
7/21/09 12:34:48AM
The general public have no idea how much the fighter's earn.
cmill21
7/21/09 1:07:10AM

Posted by RNC

I see people are still making comparisions to Boxers making $20M and some UFC fighters barely making $20K. But if you take a look at the timeline of the two sports you'll see why.

Boxing has been around for over 6,000 years. Superstars like Muhammad Ali date back to the early 1960's, and legends like Sugar Ray Robinson date back to the early 1940's. Boxing has been an olympic sport since the year 1908, over an entire century ago.

MMA, on the other hand, is still not legal in all 50 states in the US. Just back in the early 2000's, the UFC was commonly reffered to as "human **** fighting". Zuffa has only owned the UFC for 8 years, and it wasn't until 3 years ago that the company started making its mainstream emergence. And this is just in the United States. Globaly, in places like Germany, the sport is still where it was 10 years ago. When the UFC went to Cologne for UFC 99, Child protection services requested a ban on minors' attendance of the event.

Now, I do agree 100% that UFC fighters should be making the same, if not more than boxers do. The sport is legitamant and the fighters deserve better paydays than they are recieving. But the UFC is still in its early stages. Compared to how long boxing has been around, the UFC is simply a baby still growing in the womb. It needs time to develop before it can reach its full potential.

The more time passes the bigger the UFC will get, along with MMA as a whole. And I can assure you that once this sport is considered mainstream throughout the US and it begins to really be excepted across the entire globe, the fighter paydays will get better, guarenteed. Just give it time.

Exactly, so why is Dana banning companies that are helping mma grow?
Art_Jimmerson
7/21/09 2:13:02AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by RNC

Exactly, so why is Dana banning companies that are helping mma grow?

Because he's a good businessman.