Frank Mir: ''Every time Kimbo Slice fights, it sets the sport back''

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Mir: ''Every time Kimbo Slice fights, it sets the sport back''
MMAcca
9/17/08 11:37:55AM
Los Angeles, Calif. - The UFC’s breakthrough reality show “The Ultimate Fighter” gears up once again for its eighth season premiering tonight on Spike TV. Current interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will both be featured as coaches this season and after completing an interview last week with Nogueira, FiveOuncesOfPain.com was also afforded the opportunity to speak with Mir.

While Mir was made available in order to promote TUF, he was more than willing to discuss everything and anything MMA in what proved to be an intriguing interview. During the course of the conversation we asked Mir to share his thoughts on the recent return of Randy Couture, the surprise upset win of Rashad Evans over Chuck Liddell, his experiences being on the show and the motorcycle accident that nearly ended his career.

LINK
gsquat
9/17/08 11:49:51AM
Good interview. I agree about Tank and Kimbo.
prozacnation1978
9/17/08 12:10:30PM
if elite xc goes under i bet dana would grab kimbo for ufc. he sucks but he is a fan draw
MALICE
9/17/08 12:28:12PM
I like Mir's interviews. He is always to the point and speaks his mind, but always doing it in a respectful manner. Damn motorcycle accident. He would have been a good champ if he had a chance to defend his title. Hopefully he will get his chance again.

War Mir!!!
bojangalz
9/17/08 1:29:50PM
I like Mir. And I'm not going to argue with just about anything that he has to say. I also can't stand the Kimbo parade. But at this point, I think much of the critism over Kimbo's status in the MMA landscape needs to fall in the lap of Elite XC, not Slice himself.

For the most part, Kimbo has been respectful, and tactful with his responce to questions about the upcoming Shamrock fight (which is more than we can say about his opponent). And with the exception of some misplaced comments about Liddell in the past, I'd say that Kimbo done an admirable job of stating that he's nothing more than a rookie in this sport, and that he has a long way to go before he's a success. But you can't blame the guy for taking the headliner money. If someone said to you, "hey...we'd like to make you famous and rich. Would that be ok with you?" No one is going to turn down that oppertunity.

As for the idea that every time Kimbo fights, the sport takes a step backwards....

I think that everytime Elite XC promotes Kimbo as a headliner, and plays on his backyard brawler past, the sport takes a step backwards. Bas Rutten is managing Kimbo as well as anyone can expect. They are taking baby steps in an attempt to gradually improve Kimbo. He's being trained, and handled no different than ANY up and coming fighter. But out of necessity for ratings, Elite XC is hellbent on pushing him like he's the best fighter on the planet.

It certainly is a case of polar opposites pushing the Kimbo wagon. If Elite XC didn't make Kimbo their cash cow, and allowed him to take a normal career path we probably wouldn't even need to have the conversation. I don't think that Kimbo is bad for the sport. I think Elite XC management of Kimbo's hype and stature is the real problem here.

I think that if Kimbo was with a promotion which allowed him to take the opening spot on a PPV card rather than the headlining spot; and portrayed him as the "late bloomer who wants to make good on his god given talents". They could allow him to build to what ever level he is capable of reaching. Instead, he's got trainers trying to do whats best for his career progression in direct conflict with his promotion which is trying to do what is best for their empty pockets. I think everytime Elite XC puts on a show the sport takes a step backwards, Kimbo's just the fall boy for it all.
Khaos
9/17/08 3:07:15PM
Good read, totally agree with Mir about Kimbo.
RMFG_187
9/17/08 3:51:20PM
We all might dislike Kimbo for 1 reason or another.

but he still TKO'd JT and sooner than later he will get his.

***COUGH*** KEN ***COUGH***
tooly236
9/17/08 4:53:22PM
MMA is not the only thing Kimbo is setting back.
MALICE
9/17/08 5:06:30PM

Posted by RMFG_187

We all might dislike Kimbo for 1 reason or another.

but he still TKO'd JT and sooner than later he will get his.

***COUGH*** KEN ***COUGH***

Well....The ref said he did, but I have yet to see a guy be T echnically K nocked O ut, while still standing on their feet.

So on paper, yes he did. But if that had been anyplace other than EliteXC's Circus Ring that night. It would have been a draw.

Kimbo Rd 1 - 10-9
JT Rd 2 10-8
Kimbo Rd 3 10-9

Just My Opinion.
sparky
9/17/08 6:56:49PM
Finally I agree with Mr. Frank Mir on something. Good Job Mir!!
mizike
9/17/08 7:00:28PM
its so funny to read all the KIMBO HATERS, when they have no reason to hate him or have anything negative to say about him. He as a person in almost any interview, session, fight, post fight anything has done nothing but been respectful, and knows he is lucky where he is, and appreciates everyrthing that has happened to him. HE did KTFO his opponents, and is training hard as hell with the man BAS RUTTEN, to dis kimbo is to say that BAS is stupid for taking him in. Obviously KIMBO has the character, heart and determination to become a strong competitor in the sport. Bas is not going to grab just any guy and teach him the trade. If u watch bios, any thing Kimbo has been involved in has only been positive and does see himself as a growing powerful rookie with potential, he is not a beast, or acting like he wants to just be a menacing cage fighter, he shows the absolute opposite in all interviews and sessions. Just because ELite puts him as there draw does not reflect KIMBO. Kimbo has big power in his hands, trains hard and will give any fighter a tough time. Tank and Kimbo should not be mentioned in the
same sentence, two complete different fighters, KIMBO TRAINS HARD and respects the game, Tank doesnt train, drinks beers and swings at his opponents, Tank might set the sport back, KIMBO has done nothing but bring more fans to the sport.
Porch28
9/17/08 8:50:40PM
The future and former UFC Heavyweight Champ FRANK MIR!!!!!!!! RESPECT
XxChuteBoxexX
9/19/08 1:55:43PM
TTT on Kimbo ruining the sport
MMAcca
9/19/08 2:05:22PM

Posted by bojangalz
I think much of the critism over Kimbo's status in the MMA landscape needs to fall in the lap of Elite XC, not Slice himself.

100% agree.

Props to you sir
imanidiot777
9/19/08 4:50:46PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

if elite xc goes under i bet dana would grab kimbo for ufc. he sucks but he is a fan draw

Dana would grab him, throw him against the best heavyweight striker since Gary Shaw said Slice is the best striker in the world, watch him get torn apart and then cut him and make a laughing stock out of him. That would be satisfying.
imanidiot777
9/19/08 4:54:13PM

Posted by mizike

its so funny to read all the KIMBO HATERS, when they have no reason to hate him or have anything negative to say about him. He as a person in almost any interview, session, fight, post fight anything has done nothing but been respectful, and knows he is lucky where he is, and appreciates everyrthing that has happened to him. HE did KTFO his opponents, and is training hard as hell with the man BAS RUTTEN, to dis kimbo is to say that BAS is stupid for taking him in. Obviously KIMBO has the character, heart and determination to become a strong competitor in the sport. Bas is not going to grab just any guy and teach him the trade. If u watch bios, any thing Kimbo has been involved in has only been positive and does see himself as a growing powerful rookie with potential, he is not a beast, or acting like he wants to just be a menacing cage fighter, he shows the absolute opposite in all interviews and sessions. Just because ELite puts him as there draw does not reflect KIMBO. Kimbo has big power in his hands, trains hard and will give any fighter a tough time. Tank and Kimbo should not be mentioned in the
same sentence, two complete different fighters, KIMBO TRAINS HARD and respects the game, Tank doesnt train, drinks beers and swings at his opponents, Tank might set the sport back, KIMBO has done nothing but bring more fans to the sport.

He didn't KTFO JT what are you talking about, he got lucky and the fight should have been called. And how many times do we have to say its not Kimbo himself its Gary Shaw that makes us want him to lose already, just to SHUT UP Shaw.
imanidiot777
9/19/08 4:55:22PM
I've always liked Frank Mir and I think his announcing is very good for WEC, he's just a really respectful and smart guy. He's getting close to top physical shape again now and as long as he keeps in top condition I think he can be a beast.