Frank Lester released from his UFC contract

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Frank Lester released from his UFC contract
emfleek
6/25/09 11:42:59AM
It appears that welterweight Frank Lester has run out of chances to land a spot on the roster of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Sources informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com late Wednesday night that the Team Quest product received his formal release from the UFC shortly after losing via first round submission to Nick Osipczak during this past Saturday’s live finale for the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

STORY
Khaos
6/25/09 11:50:42AM
I can't say I'm suprised, I kinda saw it coming, that's usually what happens when you're on TUF and you lose on the finale.
prozacnation1978
6/25/09 12:14:53PM
not surprised dollar should be next
Twenty20Dollars
6/25/09 12:59:15PM
I think they should get atleast one more fight, like the other fighters that are given the 0-2.
brooklynbadass
6/25/09 2:00:57PM
considering he gave up his teeth, I'd say he deserves more one shot!
cowcatcher
6/25/09 2:35:15PM
i think dollar may last a bit longer because he has a bigger upside. we've seen everything lester has to offer, and although he has a lot of heart hes just not ready for the ufc yet and he might never be. dollar is far more athletic, younger, and has still has a ways to go to get to his potential IMO, so hes worth taking another look at. i like lesters heart, he really grew on me as the season went on, but hes not UFC material.
Bloodhound
6/25/09 2:36:31PM
i thought Dana would give him one more fight since he liked Frank so much
whardin19
6/25/09 2:54:04PM
Not suprised. Lester is at his peak and his peak isn't that good. I loved him on the show though.
Khaos
6/25/09 2:55:17PM
I think they're probably gonna give Dollar another shot considering he won about 4 minutes of a 4:46 minute fight, Lester got dominated pretty much. And just saying I had Dent and Osipczak by sub in the first.
tberg420
6/25/09 3:05:32PM
Why does it have to be a bad thing that Dana did? Maybe he is giving Frank a little time to go back to the drawing board and compete on some smaller shows to rebuild his confidence. He could always invite him back after a few wins on the smaller circuit.
ncordless
6/25/09 3:14:43PM
Good. I don't want to see slots on UFC cards going to Lester. And I don't want to see him hopelessly out-matched before he has a chance to develop.
babytater03
6/25/09 3:27:05PM

Posted by Bloodhound

i thought Dana would give him one more fight since he liked Frank so much

i was actually pretty surprised by this headline
Giant_Ochai
6/25/09 3:36:29PM
His heart isn't enough to compete with the UFC's lightweights. I wouldn't hate Zuffa for giving him a fight in the WEC though.
gnl68
6/25/09 4:09:25PM
Not surprised at all.Frank's game is a 1 trick pony,man besides them hooks from Jersey,he is one dimensional.Sure he has tons of heart,but that can just keep ya in a fight,for awhile.He has the desire to learn,and if so he might get a chance to come back after a successful stint in some regional shows.Dana is man enough to reward those who succeed after thier release.I wish him well,and hope to see him back one day,as a more complete fighter!!
hippysmacker
6/25/09 4:33:42PM
If you count the TUF 9 show fights he is 2-3 since his association with the UFC, all against fighters from a season of TUF I thought a little less talented than most. He was 3-2 before TUF , and I agree he hasn't shown a lot more than heart and will so far. He just moved to train full time at team quest , so maybe he will be back in time with better long term coaching.
RearNakedJoke
6/25/09 7:26:38PM
by far the most intriguing character on the show. i really hoped he'd get a second shot but its probably for the best. maybe he can join a good camp train hard string together some impressive wins and im sure we'll see him again.
scoozna
6/26/09 4:12:08PM

Posted by ncordless

Good. I don't want to see slots on UFC cards going to Lester. And I don't want to see him hopelessly out-matched before he has a chance to develop.

I think this and tberg's comments are dead on. Dana said how much he liked him. Letting him go is not a bad thing here. It's a chance for him to succeed.